The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old August 17, 2010, 08:44 PM   #26
kgpcr

I heard of a guy who was shot 131 times in the head and lived. I just dont believe 99.9% of stories like this. A .357 mag to the heart and the cop lives. Later you find out it was a bullet fragment that hit her heart without penetrating deeply.
Smith M&P 40
Old August 18, 2010, 12:21 PM   #27
juno

How would someone who was going to be executed get PCP?
Old August 18, 2010, 02:40 PM   #28
DanThaMan1776

Simple fact is no drug changes the threshold of the human body dying.. only the tolerance to stimuli (pain). And this guy would have survived getting shot 21 times even if he wasn't on a drug.. he just would have whined a little more.
Old August 18, 2010, 06:29 PM   #29
juno

This thread is reminding me of The Re-animator!
Old August 18, 2010, 06:43 PM   #30
n7qvu

Anybody kill a chicken for supper by cutting the head off. The body can run around for ...what seems like a long time in seconds...
JWsGUNs.com FFL-07, NFA SOT-C2.
Old August 18, 2010, 11:51 PM   #31
Sefner

Quote:
Anybody kill a chicken for supper by cutting the head off. The body can run around for ...what seems like a long time in seconds...
That's because a chicken's brain and spinal cord are build differently than humans. Like Glenn alluded to, if you miss part of the brain (the stem in particular) it can still send signals to the nerves to contracts muscles. This is what happens in chickens. They are not conscious of this. The best way to explain it is that the last thing the brain knows is panic and thus tries to flee. So that's what it's doing when the head is severed. If part of the brain remains, it is still acting under its last signal of panic.
Old August 19, 2010, 09:26 AM   #32
Glenn E. Meyer

Kgcpr - do you have a reference for that? It that the Stacey Lim story -

http://www.officer.com/web/online/Operations-and-Tactics/Surviving-Being-Shot/3$33691

If so, it does sound like she was seriously hurt.

Glenn
Old August 19, 2010, 09:49 AM   #33
pgdion

20 times eh? Sounds like I'm going to need that bigger clip for my 92.

btw- on the head thing, I heard the same info, the brain lives for about 17 seconds. The topic was on the morning radio just this last week. I think Sefner has it pegged!
Old August 19, 2010, 11:01 AM   #34
kraigwy

OK now this brings up the subject, Is there a drill where you can practice disarming an ax welder after your head is cut off?

Man some funny stuff comes out in these forums.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 19, 2010, 11:02 AM   #35
Rampant_Colt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgdion
20 times eh? Sounds like I'm going to need that bigger clip for my 92
Paper clip?
Old August 19, 2010, 11:06 AM   #36
TheGoldenState

Quote:
Paper clip?
Hair clip?
Old August 19, 2010, 12:18 PM   #37
Glenn E. Meyer

Watch the movie Sleepy Hollow with Johnny Depp.

In that the Headless Horseman is taken under continuous musket fire with many good COM hits. Doesn't phase him.

Probably needed a phaser.
Old August 19, 2010, 01:29 PM   #38
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sefner
This is what happens in chickens. They are not conscious of this. The best way to explain it is that the last thing the brain knows is panic and thus tries to flee. So that's what it's doing when the head is severed. If part of the brain remains, it is still acting under its last signal of panic.
Umm... not exactly.

There's no need to invoke the emotional state of the chicken to explain this.

It's not a matter of the last thing the chicken "knows" or "feels." It's a matter of what motor reflexes are present at the level of the spinal cord vs. higher levels of the central nervous system. In an intact nervous system, those spinal reflexes are inhibited by input from higher levels. So when the chicken's spinal cord is severed, spinal motor reflexes, including some reflexive locomotion, are disinhibited -- and the chicken may run a few steps. (Locomotion in birds is more stereotyped than in mammals... more of a reflex thing. The chicken either walks or it doesn't, pretty much. John Cleese, on the other hand, can do silly walks, which require more control at cortical and subcortical levels of the brain.)

When the doctor taps your knee, she's testing one of your spinal reflexes. One of the possible abnormalities is that the "knee-jerk" reflex is a lot stronger than it should be, which would mean that "circuit" isn't getting the right inhibitory signals from farther up, perhaps because your spinal cord is compressed at a higher level, or because something is amiss with one of the higher "centers" in the brain that does the inhibiting, and it's not sending out the right signals. Oversimplification, but that's the general idea.

But I have no clue about how Johnny Depp's nervous system works.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; August 19, 2010 at 02:04 PM. Reason: not enough words.
Old August 19, 2010, 03:03 PM   #39
markj

Ever killed an animal of any kind? Each dies differently, some lay down and it is over, some retain body movement to the point they could fly. Lest it is this way on wild pheasants. I hit a few in the heart, they went straight up like a helicopter. Head shot folded up, some layed there, some flopped for awhile.

I imagine it is the same for all living things. In other words cant tell what will happen.... til it does.

Saw a guy shoot a pig 5 times, pig was getting upset. I was going to cook that pig. I took the .22 and shot it in the head right in the dead zone, pig dropped right there, we cooked him up.
Old August 20, 2010, 10:42 AM   #40
Rampant_Colt

Quote:
Police officials say Alvarez got into a fight as the party broke up, then wrestled a gun away from the man he was brawling with, and fired as many as four shots at officers.

Police fired shots that killed the other man, wounded three innocent bystanders, and hit one officer in the hand and another in the chest
What a meleé‼
It sounds like this Alvarez guy was probably shot a few times and the other 'wounds' were probably grazing wounds or exit wounds. We'll never know because of inaccurate news reports. The MSM loves to sensationalize shootouts▬especially shootouts involving police vs bad guys.

He [Alvarez] was probably grazed by 20 bullets.. The mainstream media will still report it as being shot
If he was 18 or 19 years old, they would have reported him as being a child..
Old August 30, 2010, 03:27 PM   #41
Eagle0711

Anatomy and Physiology

Sorry about being late to the party as it were. To back Glenn's point about after surviving for a time after being beheaded. This is what I learned in Anatomy& Physiology class in college. After the head was removed by a guillotine in France the person blinked 12 times. The person beheaded was an assistant to a scientist and this was arranged ahead to see what would happen. This wasn't in the book, but related by the teacher. Best, Lyle
Old August 30, 2010, 05:10 PM   #42
jimbob86

"Police fired shots that killed the other man, wounded three innocent bystanders, and hit one officer in the hand and another in the chest."

"40 shots rang out, 40 people fell

Patti and The Killer missed each other, but they shot the town to hell!"

-Cow Patti, by Jim Stafford

Somebody needs some practice time!
Old August 31, 2010, 08:16 AM   #43
LordTio3

Quote:
Watch the movie Sleepy Hollow with Johnny Depp.

In that the Headless Horseman is taken under continuous musket fire with many good COM hits. Doesn't phase him.

Probably needed a phaser.
Aren't you in the other thread in T&T right now too? It was one of those scenarios that can only be solved with a head shot. BAM- LOOPHOLE.

Too bad Villagers. Suck some steel while you're at it.

~LT
Old August 31, 2010, 03:27 PM   #44
markj

Quote:
How would someone who was going to be executed get PCP
It is my understanding that in prison drugs are plentiful... Havent been there so I dont really know.

Does PCP work on electricutions or the needle as is common these days?

I shot a quail once, threw it in the back of the truck, down the road that quail was running around the inside of the bed so I removed its head. It stopped running around after that. Eyes didnt blink tho and its lips never moved at all.
Old August 31, 2010, 03:50 PM   #45
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
He [Alvarez] was probably grazed by 20 bullets.. The mainstream media will still report it as being shot
If he was 18 or 19 years old, they would have reported him as being a child..
Actually, Alvarez's lawyer argues his client was shot 23 times. Doctors removed 20 slugs from his body, so he was shot at least that many times.

However, probably not a real desirable outcome when police intervention results in killing the guy being threatened and wounding another two police officers and three bystanders.
Old August 31, 2010, 04:54 PM   #46
rtpzwms

Quote:
Posted by markj
Gotta be true, I red it in the internets....
Oh damn! My screen is blue, I must be using the wrong filter! And would someone help me I might be on the wrong internet. How do I know if I'm on the right one?
Old August 31, 2010, 09:20 PM   #47
kgpcr

I would have to say none of the 20 hit anything major. Its like the guy who shoots a deer 5 times and later when you finaly put it down none were in the boiler room even though he swears he shot it in the lungs every time.
Smith M&P 40
Old September 1, 2010, 03:34 PM   #48
markj

Quote:
How do I know if I'm on the right one?
Al Gore trademark lower left corner of the screen.... comes with a tin foil hat..
Old September 2, 2010, 01:31 PM   #49
LordTio3

Quote:
Quote:
How do I know if I'm on the right one?

Al Gore trademark lower left corner of the screen.... comes with a tin foil hat..
HA!

~LT
Old September 2, 2010, 02:41 PM   #50
thesheepdog

Yep adenosine triphosphate prevents the slowing of the heart, added with epinephrine, you get a life stabilizing combo.

FYI,
The brain can live without oxygen for 10 minutes before severe damage occurs to the brain cells.
Closed Thread