The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 6, 2009, 12:02 PM   #1
laktrash

IWB clip or belt loops

What or the pros and cons of IWB holsters with metal clips or loops for belts ? I like the idea of loops but also like being able to take off without undoing my belt any imput or ideas ?
Old June 6, 2009, 10:09 PM   #2
QBall45

I have no experience with clips on a holster. I do like the snap close blet loops on my Milt Sparks Summer Special II. This is one fine piece of leather work. The snap loops make it very easy to unsnap and pull out holster and gun together this is nice as it keeps that trigger covered.
Old June 7, 2009, 07:45 AM   #3
TailGator

I have had only one holster with clips. It was a long time ago and I don't remember the brand, but it didn't stay on the belt reliably - I could draw and the holster came along with the gun sometimes. I have used belt loops since. Maybe some of the redesigned clips of recent years are better.

With snap belt loops, you don't have to take the belt off. You can just unbuckle it, pull a little loop in it over your holster, poke the belt loops around it and snap them, then re-tighten your belt. You are going to loosen your belt to make room for gun and holster anyway, so no big deal.
Old June 7, 2009, 08:13 AM   #4
Kreyzhorse

Either method works well. Most of my holsters are looped but I do have two with clips. I prefer the loop for the additional security they bring, but clips are nice to simply remove the holster without undoing your rig.

You really can't go wrong with one or the other, order one and try it with whatever method you like best. Holster are pretty personal deals and what works for one person won't always work for another.
Old June 7, 2009, 08:54 AM   #5
BallisticBilly

I just ordered one of these: http://www.productwizard.com/bianchi...fessional.html

Luckily for me, my best friend already had one and I was able to check it out prior to purchase. It's very comfortable. The sciatic nerve protection piece was the deal maker, for me. (I just call it 'the skin flap.') I wear at about the 3:00 position and not having a hammer digging into my side is pretty important. (I carry a full sized 1911, btw...) The steel clip is very strong and does NOT pull out with the pistol. I also like the fact that the holster is sewn at the bottom.

I, personally, can't stand belt loop holsters. All of my holsters have been and will be either clip on, IWB or OWB paddles. One of these years, I may give one of those "higher end" holsters a chance...but not without a test drive.
Old June 7, 2009, 09:15 AM   #6
Shorts

I have both loops and clips. My love/hate with the clips depends on the type of clips. I prefer the type from CompTac that clip over the belt. Easy to get on and off.

The loops on my current IWB are directional and while both the belt and loops are 1.5" I cannot snap close the loops over the belt. I have to thread the belt through closed loops. That makes that particular holster a pain to put on and easy to take off. This particular holster has pant clips that I absolutely despise. They are the kind that slip over the pant waist and stay under the belt for concealment. I find them difficult to use (I have one hand).

Between loops and clips I find that clips are slimmer than the loops. Since I'm skinnier any additional bulk I can take out of carry is good.

Try out several types, it will end up being a personal preference.
Old June 9, 2009, 09:26 PM   #7
drail

I have sworn completely off of clip on anything after losing gear and hearing about other guys losing gear. I have seen too many guys lose guns, magazines, knives and radios. If it's important gear it requires loops. They're not as convenient as a clip but when you reach for it, it will be there.
Old June 9, 2009, 09:53 PM   #8
J.Netto

My brother gave me a Galco IWB leather holster with the loops, I swear it's the best concealment holster I've ever owned. Since owning one and using it all of the time, I wonder how I've went so long without it.
Old June 9, 2009, 09:56 PM   #9
liberty1

Crossbreed Supertuck with clips works perfectly and never moves.