The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 9, 2013, 11:05 AM   #1
Bernie Link

Gun with interchangeable barrel lengths

Hi Friends, Have been looking for an inexpensive gun that has interchangeable barrel lengths for rabbit hunting, tackle box, car gun,etc. The only one I can find is the Phoenix Arms Deluxe Kit that has 3" and 5" interchangeable barrels in a 22 cal., which is the cal. I'm looking for. I know that Dan Wesson revolvers have interchangeable barrels but don't want an $800 gun to carry in my tackle box. Does anyone have ideas for me? Thanks, Bernie
Old January 9, 2013, 11:52 AM   #2
lapetrarca53

Love my Phoenix Arms HP22a. I've got both barrels and it's a blast to shoot! Pretty damned accurate too.

My only caution is you must use standard velocity .22lr's. There have been reports of frames cracking using higher velocity rounds.

Mine has run great right out of the box with just a minimum amount of mag tweaking with well over 1000 rounds through it.

Lifetime warranty too. Fortunately, I haven't had occasion to use it.
Old January 9, 2013, 12:25 PM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

might be able to find a lower priced used Contender... & I think H&R is doing change barrel rifles now, but not sure if they do a "handgun" frame or not ???
Old January 9, 2013, 12:41 PM   #4
kahrguy

High standard .22lr pistols too but its that low cost thats the killer. To me there ain't enought difference between a 3" and 5" to matter. I carried a 6" colt hunstmen in the woods for everthing when I was a young'n
Old January 9, 2013, 02:21 PM   #5
Bernie Link

Some people say the Phoenix is not worth having, but I don't want to risk an expensive gun to end up at the bottom of the lake. Glad to know that you have had good luck lapetrarca53. Thanks, Bernie
Old January 9, 2013, 02:41 PM   #6
lapetrarca53

Bernie.....

There are a lot of mall ninjas on the internet that dismiss guns they've never held, owned or shot but, because they "have a friend, that has a cousin, that knows a guy with a friend that has a (insert brand name here) and he said......"

You get the idea.

In my experience, it's worth every penny and, I've already gotten my $130, or thereabouts, worth of enjoyment out of it and it shows no sign of giving up the ghost.

And again, even if it did, with the lifetime warranty, it will either get repaired or replaced.
Old January 9, 2013, 02:56 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

No, I have never owned a Phoenix. But I worked on a lot of them because they didn't work. I have no doubt that many, maybe most, are OK and will work well for at least a while. But they are made of soft alloy, springs are low quality, and the guns in general are of low price but also of low value.

I would say that if you buy one, make sure the dealer will agree to replace (not repair) it or give full price on another make of gun if it is not satisfactory (do not depend on the factory warranty). Then try it out. Most problems will show up in 50 rounds; if it goes 100 with no problems, it is probably good enough for sporting purposes.

Jim
Old January 9, 2013, 10:22 PM   #8
OkieCruffler

depending on how small you need it to be you might be interested in the S&W 22A. I have the 5 and 7 inch barrels for mine but they also make a 4. That being said, I carried a Pheonix in my tackle box for many years and over thousands of rds never had a problem with it.
Old January 10, 2013, 12:32 AM   #9
Bernie Link

OkieCruffler, I didn't know that the barrels on the S&W 22a were interchangeable. I'll have to check on it. Thanks
Old January 10, 2013, 12:41 AM   #10
OkieCruffler

They interchange alot like the High Standards. Lock the slide back, push the button at the end of the barrel and lift the barrel off. Takes me maybe 10 sec.
Old January 10, 2013, 12:49 AM   #11
Bernie Link

You are right. About $155. 4", 5.5" and 7".

Thanks OkieCruffler!

Bernie
Old January 10, 2013, 10:00 AM   #12
aarondhgraham

Beretta NEOS has interchangeable barrels as well,,,

They are 4.5" and 6" available through Midway,,,
One turn knob and 45 seconds later you have a different barrel.

They may be somewhat funky looking in a Buck Rogers sort of way,,,
But they shoot very well and have possibly the best magazines of any .22 semi-auto pistol.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old January 10, 2013, 05:49 PM   #13
FrankenMauser

Ruger Mk I/II/III (and the 22/45) pistols also have 'interchangeable' barrels. They can be swapped without tools.
But... the receiver/barrel assembly must be purchased as a separate firearm. The receiver is the serialized part. (So, it's more appropriately described as having interchangeable grip frames.)

Browning Buckmarks can have their barrels swapped fairly quickly, with the use of a tool (hex driver and/or screw driver, depending on year of manufacture).
...It just takes a little longer to swap, and you have to buy the extra barrel separately. Unlike the Ruger Mk series, the Buckmark barrels are not serialized.
Old January 10, 2013, 10:53 PM   #14
Deja vu

I have a TC Encore that does what you are asking. I also have a Remington 870 that I have 2 barrels for.

I have seen Walther P22s and Ruger 22 mk pistols with different barrels.

If you are willing to lay down the money yo could have a good smith custom build you a barrel.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old January 11, 2013, 05:35 AM   #15
FlySubCompact

Bernie,
A few years back I borrowed a friend's Phoenix Arms HP22. Was so impressed I bought one the next week. I have no regrets so far.
Old January 12, 2013, 05:39 PM   #16
OkieCruffler

The other neat thing aboutthe neos is the carbine kit. I really need to pick one of those up for the wife.
Old January 17, 2013, 09:31 PM   #17
Prof Young

S & W 22a

I have a five inch and seven inch barrels for my S & W 22 a. Haven't shot the seven inch yet but if the five inch is any indications it's going to pretty accurate for a hand gun.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young