The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 10, 2012, 03:01 PM   #26
drail

This whole deal is not about marijuana or 4473s - it's about the Feds telling the States what they can and cannot do. This was pretty clearly defined when this country was founded but the Feds just went around the Consitution because they actually believe that's not illegal. There's almost no rules anymore in D.C.
Old November 10, 2012, 05:57 PM   #27
BGutzman

IMHO use of some things is a clear indication of a weak mind. I leave it at that.
Old November 10, 2012, 06:59 PM   #28
Dr Big Bird PhD

I think the real irony is that this particular controlled substance would have far less of an effect on my gun use than alcohol would.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old November 10, 2012, 10:06 PM   #29
Tom Servo
Staff

As the OP mentioned, we're not discussing the pros and cons of marijuana usage, but rather the legal implications as they impact firearms ownership.
Old November 11, 2012, 04:08 PM   #30
hermannr

BGutzman: That you may or may not approve of certain things, and think that you are holier and smarter than someone that uses MJ (80 years ago it probably would have been alcohol)...but what is it that makes you think you are so intelligent that you should have the right to say what another person should, or should not do, that does not directly effect you??? but causes untold problems to the country, and even other countries, in other ways???

The effect of the "War on Drugs" has been exactly the same as the effect the 18th amendment had on this country. A whole lot of 2 bit criminals have become very wealthy, gangs have good cashflow to support their activities, a lot of people have died, a lot of people have gone to jail...and for what good reason???

When you are old, if you have glaucoma, you may regret your attitude.

You can look your nose down on anyone you want, just don't try to force everyone to think the way you do.
Old November 11, 2012, 11:35 PM   #31
Mac Sidewinder

Time to get off the soapbox hermannr. It works both ways. This is about the law not value judgements.

The way I see it until the Federal laws get changed I wouldn't tempt fate. All it takes is one mistake weather you think it's legal or not to get your firearm rights revoked for life. I wouldn't want to be the poster child test case to see how far you can push it.

Mac
Old November 12, 2012, 06:36 AM   #32
HiBC

I'm not a legal expert at all,but it occurred to me today,a person could be charged with one felony for making the false statement on the 4473,then another felony for having controlled substance and firearms at the same time.

Some places,if you manage three felonies,don't they throw away the key?

I know in Colorado they get very serious about a round in the chamber of a long gun inside a vehicle.I do not know of it is a felony,but think how much trouble a guy could get in for sitting in a vehicle that smelled of pot while shooting prairie dogs out the car window.
Or maybe a couple of guys toke up while cruising county roads looking for pheasants,jump out and do a field corner with cover on some private land without permission and get caught.
I don't do those things,for many good reasons,but some folks do.The game warden will bust them as hard as he can .
Or maybe a couple of guys are just shooting an AR at cans on the Pawnee National Grasslands and the Ranger shows up

See,like I said,I have no interest in telling you how to live,just offering a heads up.
The general public might well be sympathetic to a stoner sitting on his couch eating cheetos giggling and watching a Cheech and Chong movie.There are no guns involved.
Add an AK-47 and the headlines become Reefer Madness drug fiend with arms cache!!And whatever you do,keep the twinkees away!Diane Fienstein has not forgotten.
Life is about making good choices.Sometimes you have to choose
Old November 14, 2012, 12:33 AM   #33
kilimanjaro

This passed in Washington state, too.

We had a discussion at the ranger station last week, what are we going to do when 400 college kids come up to the ski area on National Forest land and light up, thinking they're in Washington state, must be legal, right? No one wants to bust 'em all, but we're required to uphold the law. So for now, we may have some signs made up and put on the highway heading up the hill, something like "Entering National Forest land, marijuana use prohibited", at least put 'em on notice. Don't know the answer yet for the rest of it.

Some of the other posters are quite right, you do not want to be found with a firearm and a controlled substance, you will have serious problems, one of which is your firearms, all of them, will be confiscated.