The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 14, 2012, 02:30 PM   #1
Dunecigar

Daewoo DP51, parts issue...

American citizen (Bersa, SW442, CCWP) living in Guatemala City, Guatemala, Central America:

The Daewoo DP51 is currently the frontrunner for my 9mm hi-cap purchase.

My question is, since parts seems to be a bit of an issue, which part in particular should I obtain right-off-the-bat before parts become even harder to find. A firing pin, a main spring, or perhaps an ejector for instance.

Note, a third world country is something else. My gf took a Pullman (think Greyhound bus) to another city just yesterday. During the trip, three highway men stood up, hijacked the bus, ordered all valuables passed over, then took off into the night.

Once I get the DP51, I´ll post pics of my EDCs.
Old September 15, 2012, 06:28 PM   #2
Walt Sherrill

I've had three, and shot two of them quite a bit. Never had problems with anything breaking.

Except for springs, I can't think of anything that might need to be replaced. Wolff probably doesn't have them, so Century Arms International and Numrich (E-Gunparts) are the places to look.

Trigger and recoil springs are candidates. You can probably use springs from SIGs or S&W Third Generation guns for the recoil spring.

Magazines are in short supply, but mags from the S&W 59 series can work (but will extend just a bit farther than a flush fit.)]\

I like the the DP51 (and similar DH40) a lot, but for the use you plan, you'd be better served by buying a used Glock -- parts won't be a problem, and they are relatively trouble-free, resale will be easier, and the price probably won't be much more.
Old September 16, 2012, 02:11 PM   #3
INMY01TA

I had a DP51 myself for about ten years. Thousands of rounds through it with no problems. I wouldn't anticipate ever needing any. I only sold it as I grew tired of it.
Old September 17, 2012, 08:35 PM   #4
Billy Shears

Had one of those once back in the 90s. Cheap, rough, rattly, half done "shop-class" feel to it and it wasn't very accurate either. Dumped it for a 3rd generation S&W 9mm and never looked back.