The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 1, 2009, 10:09 PM   #1
mackillan

Powders unavailable to reloaders

Chuck claims that Hornady claims that one cannot achieve the velocity of prerolled because specialized powders are used? Any comments on the veracity of this opinion?
http://www.chuckhawks.com/204_ruger.htm
Old February 2, 2009, 02:35 PM   #2
REMINGTON DUDE

Hornady powder

I don't about the .204, but the Hornay Light Magnum's produce higher velocitys than any other velocity listed for a certian cartridge, and they claim that is because of their secret cooler burning powder, thats supposed to keep the pressure at safe levels. Although they do print wright on the box that they are not meant for autos, and only modern firearms in good working condition. I am mainly just going off what Hornday tells us though, I would like to hear what others have to say on this subject.
Old February 2, 2009, 03:44 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

He's correct.

Powders available to handloaders are called cannister powders. They are blends of the same powder from many different lots designed to given consistent, repeatable performance lot after lot after lot and year after year.

Powders used by the manufacturers are normally from one lot, and the loading parameters are changed via lab testing once the previous lot runs out.
Old February 2, 2009, 04:54 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

I agree with Mike Irwin.

In most cases, Chuck is right. The powders charges (or additives) are manipulated after lab testing, to get exactly the performance desired in the cartridge.

Most canister powders are unable to reach many factory load velocities with the same projectiles; while retaining safe operating pressure.

This no longer applies to a couple of the Winchester Supreme factory loads. (Not .204 Ruger) A couple canister powder versions of the powder used in that ammunition is now available to reloaders. It may be a canister powder, but it is typically possible to attain the same velocities of the factory ammo.

As for the .204 Ruger being the "Speed King".... If the same care was taken to manipulate a powder for the .220 Swift, it would reclaim its title quickly. I currently have a low-pressure loading for my .220 Swift, using Win 780 Supreme, CCI LR Magnum primers, and 40 grain Sierra Hollow Points doing over 4,300 fps. Other bullets could potentially be pushed faster (due to the seemingly low pressure I'm at now), but the Sierra 40 grain will probably vaporize if I push it harder.

Last edited by FrankenMauser; February 2, 2009 at 05:02 PM.