The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 8, 2008, 08:26 AM   #1
GoCart

scope for Long & laser for close?

Gents,

Night shooting for varmints with a 22. magnum and I need something for closer shots. Local laws force me to use bolt action and when things get close its a pain to aim over the scope on moving targets.

I think a laser sight would be perfect. Any recommendations on a solid laser and how/where to mount it on the gun or scope?

This is almost exactly the gun I am shooting, (mine has a low powered scope mounted.)

http://www.survivalprimer.com/PaulsGuns/New982S.jpg
Old October 8, 2008, 08:19 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I know from experience that the field of view for a 4X scope at ten feet is atrociously inadequate. (And at ten feet, ya gotta remember to hold a couple of inches high!)

But, not knowing how close is your close, I'd just keep working with the scope and practicing on some sort of moving target. Bunny rabbits are doable, but will keep you honest. I dunno. IMO, if you're talking 15 to 30 yards as "close", and the scope is 3X or so, I don't see where irons or a laser would help...
Old October 8, 2008, 09:54 PM   #3
Slopemeno

Get a red dot sight (Aimpoint or similar) with a smaller dot.
Old October 8, 2008, 10:10 PM   #4
clt46910

I have one rifle sit up like that. I happens to be a AR but is set up with a lazer mounted tight under the barrel. Sighted in to 50 ft. Scope on top sighted in 100 yards.
Old October 9, 2008, 01:01 AM   #5
King Ghidora

+1 on putting a laser underneath the barrel. I have a dovetail mounted laser on my Marlin Model 60 and it's amazing how accurate they can be. Mine is zeroed at about 40 yards. It's as accurate as the gun is and more. The problem with red lasers of course is that they don't show up in the daylight. A green laser would be needed and even that might not be enough on a bright day.

I keep the laser on my Model 60 for use as nightime varmit control. They can be hard to keep zeroed in if you get a cheap version but even the cheap ones can be made to stay in position. It generally involved replacing the original screws on the adjusters. If you tighten them too much they will distort the laser though. With a little practice you can get them just tight enough however. Once in place you can drive tacks shooting from the hip. They're just right for night shooting of varmits like rats etc.. If you can get that dot on your target and pull the trigger you will hit your target. I've shot bats flying through the air from the hip with this setup. If you've ever shot bats you know that it's hard to do because they change direction so often. But with a well mounted laser you can do it easily.

I use the cheap lasers too. I got mine from a Bass Pro shop. I think they still sell the laser but it no longer has the barrel mount. They used to come with a barrel mount. Mine did. I did see a laser that claimed to be easily mounted to any gun on this web page. I'm not sure how exactly they mount to anything besides a Weaver mount. Maybe they have barrel mounts since they say it can mount to almost any firearm, "with or without Rail Slots!"

There are mounts around for mounting to the bottom of a barrel. I've seen several in recent years.

I also ran across this setup while I was looking for the links I had for laser and mounts. It could be exactly what you need.
Old October 9, 2008, 01:37 AM   #6
ziggy222

check your laws on using sighting devices that require a battery.i know their illegal in pa where i'm at

Tags
laser , mount , night , scope