The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old February 14, 2013, 05:17 PM   #51
Sarge

Scored a box of Tula 40 and two boxes of Tula 7.62x39 this am, all for under 25 bucks. Our hickville WalMart actually had a few today but of course we are now under WM's three-box rationing system. I will send a confederate to grab three more asap
Old February 14, 2013, 06:10 PM   #52
2ndsojourn

No panic buying, but I bought a few boxes of different 9mm ammo to run a test. A LGS here had some inexpensive reloads at 10.99/box of 50, and Dicks had 9mm WWB & UMC at 15 & 16 /box. I bought 3 more boxes at Dicks the next day just to have some, but that's it.
Old February 14, 2013, 07:22 PM   #53
Kreyzhorse

I bought some range ammo over the weekend. It was too damn expensive but I wanted to shoot so I bought my limit of two boxes. Does that count as panic buying?

Otherwise, I've not bought any thing since this panic started.
Old February 14, 2013, 08:20 PM   #54
BigD_in_FL

Not me - saw three boxes of 9mm at walmart, left them alone, not interested in WWB and 115 grain bullets
Old February 14, 2013, 08:52 PM   #55
Buford_Tannen

No panic buying here though I have bought some things.

I made an online ammo buy in October for two guns I had purchased and had 5600 rounds of 22LR in my cart but removed it at checkout because the total was getting a little high. It was around $200 - could kick myself now.

Recent purchase was for my CCW weapon (Just got my permit) and some practice rounds in early January before the madness was in full swing. After the buy, gun on same site is up 15% in price and ammo I bought is up 30%.
Old February 14, 2013, 10:45 PM   #56
BuckRub

Not me. I guess I'm old school. I have many, many , many rounds put away for such a time as this.
Old February 14, 2013, 11:21 PM   #57
Daveylikey

Absolute panic buyer!

I admit I am in the panic buying crowd. After the gun control talk started up again I ran right out and upgraded my NRA membership from anual to lifetime. Much more worried about what my kids may never have tommorow than what I might not be able to get today.

Yes, I am Poking your conscience's here guys If you bought hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of guns and ammo for yourself today I hope you also took the time to write your Reps and at least got an NRA (or other similar pro gun group) $35 membership to ensure our kids will be able to have their rights tommorow. Frankly, if all you have thought about is your own supplies then you are being shortsighted and selfish.
Old February 14, 2013, 11:22 PM   #58
shootniron

I am not.
Old February 15, 2013, 12:13 AM   #59
Daveylikey

I am not saying don't buy. By all means do, I have. But sitting on my closet full of ammo and a safe full of guns will not protect my rights. Allowing a generation to grow up with diminished rights or absent of rights we enjoy will not inspire them to protect our rights years from now. If we do not protect the fullness of our childrens rights today they will vote the remainder of ours away tommorow.

If we are unwilling to spend $35 or at least write a few letters today to protect our rights, we will not pick up our guns tommorow either.

Last edited by Daveylikey; February 15, 2013 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Mispelled
Old February 15, 2013, 02:52 AM   #60
ClydeFrog

I'm going to wait out 2013 & go back to the guns/shooting/skill training in 2014. 2012 was just awful for me on a personal level & the gun buying panic/mark-up is BS right now.

The NRA can; "Stand & Fight!" but I'm not paying $39.95 for a Glock factory pistol mag or $2/3.00 USD for factory produced defense/carry rounds.
F that jazz!
Seacrest out!
Old February 15, 2013, 03:50 AM   #61
MLeake

I'll make this as easy as I can for you....

These links have been posted in other threads, but they really need to be in this one.

For all you panic buyers, why not do something that will help all of us more in the long term?

https://www.nraila.org/get-involved-...re/donate.aspx

http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-l...your-reps.aspx

http://www.saf.org/default.asp?p=safdonation

http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...2_757992_image
Old February 15, 2013, 07:38 AM   #62
BuckRub

Obama will protect our gun rights for us.
Old February 15, 2013, 07:41 AM   #63
4V50 Gary
Staff

Haven't bought anything in years.

OK, I bought a Corbin press from Edward here at TFL.
Old February 15, 2013, 07:44 AM   #64
rebs

I am not panic buying anything. I bought before all this happened and am set for a while with reloading supplies and I have 5 bricks of 22lr.
Old February 16, 2013, 01:57 AM   #65
ronl

Haven't bought a thing since all the craziness began. I have enough guns, magazines, ammo, brass, primers and bullets and powder.
Old February 16, 2013, 02:39 AM   #66
jnichols2

I bought my pistol before the panic, and picked up a some magazines and a little ammo. If I see a value pack of ammo for the old price, I'll buy it.
No panic buying on the pistol.

After the election I realized I really needed an AR rifle. I had to do some panic buying there. The rifle was about 65% over normal. They are much higher now.

I had to pay panic prices for ammo and magazines to build up an emergency supply. Now I buy what is available at Academy or Walmart for normal price.

For shooting, I found a range that sells at good prices for on site shooting only. I fear the may run out, that's why I continue to add to my supply when I find it.

I did pay more, but if unrest does come, it will be worth it to protect my home.

I could have saved some money by buying four months ago.
Old February 16, 2013, 04:35 AM   #67
NWPilgrim

Not really panic buying but have bought a few things, trying to avoid the most in-demand items and picking up things at mostly normal prices. The closest to panic buying was that I gave away a couple boxes of primers and then discovered a site that actually had them in for less than five dollars over what I normally pay. So I bought 5,000 to replace what went out and add a little more to make the hazmat worthwhile.

Other than that I am upgrading optics, slings and mounts, new bolt rifle and S&W M29 Mountain, so then I had to order more .430" bullets and powder (yes Powder Valley actually has some H110 and Universal in stock). Oh and I wanted to finally get some inventory built up of #1 buckshot and found Cheaper Than Dirt had some for normal prices so picked up 10 boxes of those. I have a family member deploying soon and he wanted some yellow Magpul followers for his AR15 30-rd mags so after extensive searching I found a couple of places with those. It is tough finding stuff but there are a few things out there. Great time to buy 1911 pistols, 44 Mag/.45 Colt revolvers or .270 or 7mm Mag rifles!
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old February 16, 2013, 07:47 AM   #68
cryogenic419

No panic buying here. I learned my lesson last time around and have been tucking things away ever since then. Unfortunately I am in need of some Longshot for my 10mm and I've hit a few shops around here and haven't been able to find it. I'm sure somewhere somebody has it but I'm not gonna pay insane prices for it.

I did go out in mid December and grabbed another AR. Its an idea I had been kicking around, I want one setup with my Eotech sight, the other with iron sights. I know I could have just gotten a new upper but....it was my birthday and figured why not. The shop I went to was charging the same price they had been for months.

I'll just wait til prices come back to a realistic level. Until then I will continue to flood the politicians with letters telling them where I stand on gun control.
Old February 16, 2013, 08:05 AM   #69
Double Naught Spy

Stocked up years ago and now just maintain what I have. As needs change or products improve, I add to what I have and I have made some purchases during the panic, but have not panic purchased.
Old February 16, 2013, 08:18 AM   #70
8MM Mauser

I have t engaged in any panic buying; and I only have three guns.

As it is, my gun "needs" are meant, except a pistol for CC, but I can't afford that right now anyway.

Now that said; if I had the resources I would probably have picked up an AR or two. It's worth the price if they really ban them.
Old February 16, 2013, 09:51 AM   #71
Closing The Gap

I've been buying just like I always have. Weapons, ammunition and accessories. None have been at inflated prices. I simply look a ton of online and brick n mortar retailers and when I find a deal on something I want or need I buy it.
Old February 16, 2013, 10:53 AM   #72
cornbush

My supply is very skimpy at the moment, but I refuse to feed the frenzy. I buy a box or two of ammo or components when I see them, and have the cash, just like I always did.
Old February 16, 2013, 11:00 AM   #73
AL45

I'm not. I reload, go shoot 'em up and then reload again. I have 2 boxes of .22 long rifle, about 50 rounds of .308 and 50 rounds of .45 Colt loaded. About 200 .308 bullets and 500 .45 Colt that I can load. To me, ammunition is like a box of chocolates. Your not enjoying them if they're sitting on a shelf.
Old February 16, 2013, 11:11 AM   #74
h2otoo

I did "panic" right after the election. Just enough to stock up. Little did I know how crazy it would get and how fast it would get there. Now I'm looking at a 40cal P99, but there is no/little ammo to be had for it. Hate to pass up a good deal, though.

Bob
Old February 16, 2013, 01:40 PM   #75
armoredman

No panic buying here - there is no way I would pay those prices! I do have friends asking me via e-mail/PM/phone, any quiet "back channel", if I know a "good place with good prices", and I tell them all the same thing - you're three months too late, shoulda jumped back then.
Closed Thread