The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 25, 2013, 08:48 PM   #26
44 AMP
Staff

I respect TIME...for one thing, only....

Back in the early 80s Time ran an editorial I actually had to respect.

They said that while a news magazine should remain impartial and above the issues there were some issues that were too important for that. And one of those issues was gun ownership in America. It was too important for them not to choose a side. And the side they chose was against gun ownership.

For being open and honest in that, I respect them. And ONLY for that. Not only did I stop buying or reading their magazine (other than the anti gun ariticles when needed for research), I made it a point when contacted on the phone about buying Time/Life Books or videos to tell them that I would enjoy their books/videos BUT would not buy them, because of their maganagement's stand on the gun control issue. I did my best for a couple decades to make sure they understood that they lost a sale, only because of the anti gun bias. Eventually, they stopped calling....
Old January 26, 2013, 03:42 PM   #27
SPEMack618

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLeake
Levi Strauss is San Francisco based, so it's possible they feel they have no real choice in their political environment, but they are on the list of major contributors to gun control groups.
Well, that sucks. I've worn Levi jeans since forever.
Old January 26, 2013, 04:23 PM   #28
orionengnr

It's waaaay beyond time...

I've been boycotting Time and Newsweek since about 1985. Their agenda was clear back then.

I was a bit slower on the uptake with regard to Hollywood, mostly because I have never been a big movie-goer. I quit them around...(ahhh, just had to check)...1994. I think Forrest Gump was the last time I watched a movie, either theater or TV.

Quit buying Levis about 15 years ago, when I read of their agenda.

More to follow, I'm sure.

Quote:
Some of you guys seem to be boycotting grammar and spelling.
Now that was funny, and on point.
Old January 26, 2013, 05:39 PM   #29
MLeake

In my defense, my iDevices have a tendency to override my normally good spelling and grammar.
Old January 27, 2013, 06:33 AM   #30
KMAX

I used to read Time when I was in high school, 1971-1975. Then I got out in the real world and got a life. I no longer had the time that the academic life allows to sit around and theorize of how wonderful life would be if..... I did not fall into the liberal leanings when I went to college after the military stint.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old January 27, 2013, 09:24 AM   #31
vito

Time magazine is as close to totally irrelevant as anything being published. Their Person of the Year awards hardly make the news anymore because they are so obviously selected to advance a liberal agenda. As to Levis, those of you looking for an alternative source of jeans might want to consider L.L. Bean. I have no stock or ownership in this company but I have found their jeans to be excellent, reasonably priced and the company certainly is supportive of outdoor activities like hunting and fishing. Please don't tell me they are supporters of gun control!
Old January 27, 2013, 05:10 PM   #32
TheNatureBoy

I have a subscription to Time and enjoy reading it. Like anything else, I read what appeals to me and ignore the rest. The one dedicated to gun bashing though was trash. I thumbed through it and tossed it in the recycle bin.
Old January 28, 2013, 10:43 AM   #33
Glenn E. Meyer

Going off track and nothing more to be said. Don't buy it if you disagree or write them.

As far as person of the year - the choice is supposedly to be influence on the world or country not popularity.

Closed.