The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 27, 2010, 01:26 AM   #1
Smoke Screen

Are there more aftermarket parts for the 870 or the 500?

Just looking at getting my combat shotgun all set and ready, obviously choosing between the 870 and the 500...but I'll need to fix her up with some aftermarket customizations. So who has the edge here? The Mossy or the Remy?
Old November 27, 2010, 01:44 AM   #2
rjrivero

It seems to me that it's a wash. Most accessories I see in the pump shotgun market are available for both.

I've always been partial to the 870 myself. Can't go wrong with either of these shotguns.
Old November 27, 2010, 05:26 AM   #3
jmr40

I think you can find anything you could possibly want, and more than you need for either gun.
Old November 27, 2010, 07:37 AM   #4
USMCGrunt

Both have scads of useless crap you can bolt on to keep up with the Tactical Timmy types until you are broke, tired from the extra weight and the cows have come home. However, I would say for Uber-Tactical Timmy, the Remington probably has slightly more doo-dads available mainly due to the magazine extensions that can be had.
Old November 27, 2010, 12:32 PM   #5
silvercorvette

My guess is it is about even but I would go with the 870.

I suggest you make a list of everything you want to add to your gun, When you have your list go on line and check availability and price for each gun.
Old November 27, 2010, 01:28 PM   #6
Scattergun Bob

jmr40

Quote:
I think you can find anything you could possibly want, and more than you need for either gun.
Outstanding! truer words have never been spoken!

My Best To You, Bob
Old November 28, 2010, 12:50 AM   #7
Smoke Screen

Thanks fellas. Looking into getting the combat beast pretty soon, and build her up from there. Her job will mainly be to bring me piece of mind, and keep the space behind the wall and headboard of my bed company. The ladies I usually date are a Remington .20 (browning design), & Single shot .16 ga that go into the field with me. The new addition, consider her "cultural exploration" will be for range comp./fun and of course the go to weapon when the zombies attack.

The reason I ask, is that Sportsmans Warehouse has a sale on a brand new 870 Tactical for $229 (after Remingtons $30 mail in rebate). Not bad. The 500 feels like it lines up better for me though when I look down the barrel, so just curious about the after markets.