The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 18, 2011, 03:34 PM   #26
IMTHDUKE

I'll try anything twice.
Ed Brown Alpha Carry| Sig P238, P938, P232, 1911 C3 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Browning, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose | S&W|M&P C.O.R.E RMR Trijicon | Dan Wesson ECO
Old February 18, 2011, 03:50 PM   #27
Jimmy10mm

I googled 10 ga. derringer with no success save this thread and references to .410 stuff. If there was such an animal I don't hate myself so I wouldn't subject my hand to the punishment.
Old February 18, 2011, 04:50 PM   #28
iblong

Nope!
Old February 18, 2011, 05:04 PM   #29
overkill0084

Not no, but hell no. But I might pay to watch someone else do it.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old February 18, 2011, 05:31 PM   #30
Stevie-Ray

Not a chance in hell. Well, except for maybe shooting the bear in the face before it eats me. I guess that would be worth a mere broken hand.

Quote:
Admittedly the one I saw was beat up, but lets pretend its a beauty.
I'm quite sure they're all beat up. Comes from flying out of your hand and hitting the ground.
Old February 18, 2011, 11:36 PM   #31
BGutzman

If I dont get snowed in this weekend (which seems likely that I will) I will run down to cabelas and see if they still have it and if I can get a pic.

The thing was very old and really beat up, it had a thinner barrel than the average derringer type pistol (if one were to mentally scale it up.)
Old February 18, 2011, 11:41 PM   #32
Celo456

I don't think my better jdgement would win over my curiosity. I also suffer from a condition I can only describe as a lack of healthy fear. Load the 10, exhale and squeeze
Old February 18, 2011, 11:50 PM   #33
orionengnr

Quote:
I also suffer from a condition I can only describe as a lack of healthy fear.
Yep, BTDT. When you are 20 or 25, it's all fun and games. When you are 55, you will wake up each day with pain in many body parts, some pleasant memories, and a number of regrets....that is, provided you make it to 55.

Many who make stupid choices do not. I can give you a roll call of my deceased friends/acquaintances if you like, but it will mean nothng to you...at least for another 30 years or so. At which time you will have your own list, and you will be trying to convince the next generation, who will not be listening either...

Such is life.
Old February 19, 2011, 01:02 AM   #34
hondauto

prolly not..
That sounds painful,let alone how it feels..
I MIGHT shoot a 12 GA derringer,but not sure on that either.
Old February 19, 2011, 01:12 AM   #35
armsmaster270

10GA Very pistol is as close as I'll ever get.
Old February 19, 2011, 01:20 AM   #36
egor20

It depends, is this back when I was 18 and had just done the bottle of Mescal and ate the worm......??

Then yes.......................................

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old February 19, 2011, 01:53 AM   #37
gb_in_ga

Quick answer: No.

Longer answer: Not under any sane set of conditions, but I will concede that if it is all I have between myself and certain death then, well, BLAM! I'll deal with the after effects afterwards.

Kinda like a Howda, right? Pleasant isn't the name of the game, compact close-in firepower is.

Quote:
When you are 55, you will wake up each day with pain in many body parts, some pleasant memories, and a number of regrets....that is, provided you make it to 55.
Yep. I haven't made it there, yet. But it is right around the corner. Less than a year off. I've done my fair share of "stupid, testosterone loaded stunts". Sanity has set in. I just don't feel the need to prove myself to anyone, and I have no desire to engage in pain for pain's sake. Phooey on that. I've got enough of that already.
Old February 19, 2011, 02:24 AM   #38
triumph666

i'd put on my helmet and heavy leather gloves and happily fire that SOB just for poops an giggles
Old February 19, 2011, 12:58 PM   #39
Molasses

Quote:
If I dont get snowed in this weekend (which seems likely that I will) I will run down to cabelas and see if they still have it and if I can get a pic.
I see you're in Mpls, so was that at the Rogers store or did you happen to go down to Owatonna or what? Just thinking that I'd like to see this monstrosity for myself.

As for shooting such a thing; only if they let me pick the ammo.
Old February 19, 2011, 05:23 PM   #40
kozak6

It would be cheaper just to wallop my hand with a sledgehammer.
Old February 19, 2011, 08:05 PM   #41
aryfrosty

10 gauge?

I don't want to sound like a 'rainer on parades' but I have never encountered a 10 ga Derringer, especially in Cabelas.
Could what you saw have been their "Howdah" pistol? It is a side x side double barrel in .20 gauge and blackpowder. It replicates the Howdahs used for large cat hunting from Elephant back. The little rattan/wicker cage you sat in on Br'er Tembo's back was called a Howdah. There was use of one in the film "Ghost and the Darkness" about a couple of people eating kitty cats in Africa.
Old February 20, 2011, 01:46 PM   #42
HoraceHogsnort

I'd rather stick my head into a revolving cement mixer!
Old February 20, 2011, 01:53 PM   #43
Webleymkv

Would you pull the trigger on a 10ga Derringer?

Yes, but only with a long string from behind a tree.
Old February 20, 2011, 02:00 PM   #44
BGutzman

Molasses it was at the Owatonna store, toward the entrance of the gun library.

You cant miss it if its there....
Old February 20, 2011, 04:07 PM   #45
stokesj19

No need to sprain my wrist. And I am a big guy 6'6 275, and I think it would hurt.
Old February 20, 2011, 07:41 PM   #46
publius

If the price was reeeeal good and it was well made I might buy it. I definitely would shoot one given the opportunity.
Old February 20, 2011, 07:51 PM   #47
Bill DeShivs

I think Aryfrosty is correct on this one.
Cabela's " Howdah" pistol is a double barreled SxS 20 gauge muzzle loader.
I have seen an awful lot of guns in my time, and I have never seen a 10 ga. derringer. The very size of the shells would proclude a derringer being made in this size. The gun would be much larger than an "N" frame S&W.
Old February 20, 2011, 10:08 PM   #48
BGutzman

It may not have been exactly a derringer , it was a derringer style and it was a definitively 10 GA, it appeared to be heavy brass or brass colored, it was beat up.

Last edited by BGutzman; February 20, 2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old February 21, 2011, 01:03 AM   #49
Cheapshooter

Did it say 10 Ga. Brass Dbl barrel large bore pistol, I'm thinking flare gun!!! Being brass, and old it could have been antique enough for Cabela's library.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!

Last edited by Cheapshooter; February 21, 2011 at 01:31 AM.
Old February 21, 2011, 10:42 AM   #50
Lashlarue

My late father in law had a 10 guage double barrel shotgun that had been handed down to him.One New Years I fired it at midnight, took a week or longer for the bruise to fade.On D-day I fired a 12 ga.,dislocated my shoulder, I was seven at the time.In 1953 before there were clothes dryers,we had a starling problem, making hanging up clothes to dry a roll of the dice.Management paid for the ammo and my best friend , his father and myself fired several hundred rounds. We killed about 500 and the remaining found a new location to roost.After graduation we moved to northern Kentucky, and my new best friend lived at the top of a hill in log cabin his father had built. We had a routine, I would drive up there, we would shoot a box of slugs at a quarter wedged into the bark.Drive downtown and get a shoeshine then pickup our dates, at the end the date we would drop off the girls then go eat at the Crystal chili parlor.To answer the question, not no but hell no! My cardiologist told me to sell my high powered pistols as the recoil might interfere with the stents installed in two of my arteries.

Tags
10 ga , derringer , pistol