The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 17, 2013, 11:35 PM   #1
jbcricket

300 blackout loads

I'm looking for some loads in 300 blackout using a 150 gr nosler ballistic tip and either W296 or H110 powder. I have a 16" barrel and my goal is to get as close as possible to 2000 fps. I realize that i probably wont be able to reach that velocity from a 16" barrel but the closer the better. Does anybody have some loads they can share?
Old March 18, 2013, 01:59 AM   #2
A pause for the COZ

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond or not covered by currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

I have not tried that particular bullet, but I have shot quite a few Hornady 150 sp 3031's and also 150 rnfp 30-30 bullets.

All have shot very accurately.

Ahead of 16.2 gr of H110 I get 1842 fps avg.

I tried 17 gr of H110 and got flat primers, I did not have my Crono with me that day. But I decided they were too hot for me.

I think your going to have a hard time getting a 150 bullet over 2000 fps.

I have decided for a hunting load I am going to try to find a good Nosler 125 gr bullet.
I have been able to get 125's over 2000 fps ahead of 17.5 gr of H110.
I have pushed them harder but 17.5 gave me the best accuracy.

Last edited by Unclenick; March 18, 2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old March 18, 2013, 04:07 PM   #3
oldpapps

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond or not covered by currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

2000 FPS is going to be difficult.

I did my testing with 147 grain military pulled bullets (FMJBT). These were a lot cheaper than my chosen bullet, 150 grain Interbonds (I'm cheap!)

Each weapon is an inaty of its own and must be treated as such. So, my loads with my components, put together the way I did it, may NOT be safe in your weapon with your components, put together they way you do it. This data is for information and reference, not a listing of what is 'safe'.

What I found is/was, seating depth make a lot of difference in pressures and velocities. Watch it closely.

147gr GI pulls - H110/296:
16.6 grain - 1945 FPS - 2.065 in C.O.A.L. Best loading for this combination, my opinion.
17.0 grains - 1988 FPS - 2.065 in C.O.A.L. Starting to show minor pressure signs.

150gr Interbonded - H110/296:
16.6 grains - 1908 FPS - 2.069 in C.O.A.L. Best loading for this combination, my opinion.

150gr Interbonded - LtGun:
15.0 grains - 1790 FPS - 2.160 in C.O.A.L. Best accuracy from my weapon.

All velocities are an average of no less than 15 test rounds, taken at 10 feet.

Be safe and load responsibly,

OSOK

Last edited by Unclenick; March 18, 2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old March 18, 2013, 04:13 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Guys,

Please read the sticky and cut and paste the warning where appropriate.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 18, 2013, 04:23 PM   #5
oldpapps

Unclenick,

Thanks for the link.

I try to refrain from posting exact loads because to all of the variables.
This post was tiring to achieve a specific velocity. And I had already been down that road (with no luck).

Love the round, love the weapons that it fits, can live within the limits for them.

Enjoy and be safe,

OSOK
Old March 18, 2013, 05:00 PM   #6
A pause for the COZ

Unclenick,

Thanks for the save!!!
Old March 20, 2013, 12:09 AM   #7
jbcricket

Thanks for the info guys, i'll see what i can come up with. Does 15 gr H110/W296 sound like a good starting load or is that a little light?
Old March 20, 2013, 10:44 AM   #8
oldpapps

jbcricket,

296/H110 is one of those powders that seems to normally be listed in the loading books with the notice that it doesn't play well with reduced loads. This makes me a little uneasy when working with large charge spreads.

With my 147 grain tests, I ran a low to high of 6/10th of a grain! The upper end started flattening primers and, well, I was chicken and as the bottom/starting load fully cycled and locked back on the last round fired, I didn't reduce any lower. My accuracy testing gave the best results at 16.6 grains (point 2 grain over my start). Your weapon may well have a different 'happy' loading.
My 110 grain loads had a spread of 1.5 grains, 125 grains the spread of 2.5 grains.

I was getting better (in my opinion) results with Lit'Gun and WW630. I didn't get to go far with the Lit'Gun before I made the mistake of selling the weapon. The obsolete 630 powder had greater flexibility and some extremely promising accuracy results. (110grain VMax running 2328fps, making 1 hole at 100 yards with 10 shots, ok, a fat hole)

As for your starting charge.... I looked at all of the data I could find, listed it and rated the source. From that list I picked a 'low' starting point. As I load and shoot less than 50 feet apart, I can and did load only one round for my first test. The trepidation was less with the H110/296 than it was with the old Olin WW630 (no source data!). My very nervous view is 15 grains is not what I would want to fire. It sounds strange to say but more is safer. I don't know, nor do I want to experience, what the effects of a 'too' light a charge of H110 does when fired. Is it only erratic low pressures or detonation?

A place to look is http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=141

A different angle. Look at loading data for the 300 Whisper. I have seen great comparisons between the two cartridges. That could give some incite.

Load with (extreme) care,

OSOK