The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 13, 2011, 01:27 PM   #1
Superdave70_02

Components: cheap or available

I live in a very small town at least an hour in any direction from stores that sell reloading supplies. Most of the time those stores are sold out or don't carry but a small stash of stuff, So I am forced to order most of my components online.

My question is do you shop around for the cheapest components (for plinking) or do you find someone who is slightly more expensive but always going to have the same stock in order to not have to work up new recipes due to changing components and the perpetual out of stock?
Old September 13, 2011, 01:38 PM   #2
Jim Watson

I think you have answered your own question.

I will pay local retail for a pound of powder and a box of bullets.
If I develop a load I like with those components, I will order in bulk from Powder Valley or Grafs.
Old September 13, 2011, 01:48 PM   #3
engineermike

I buy a lot of stuff on line. I use Graf and sons account they have cheap shipping but Midway has more stock. (Usually) I have found a couple of places to buy bullets with free shipping, and Cabela's usually has free shipping on orders for $150 or more. Powder and primers are different as they have an extra cost of hazmat fee but powder valley seems to have good prices and you call alway plan a trip to areas that have stores with what you are looking for. And don't forget about the gun shows. Not always best price but average and no shipping just gas. Sometimes local shooting clubs can order supplies for good prices but then don't under estimate the local guy you can build a relationship with that may not have what you want but can order it for you. I shop around because I am cheap but that is just me.
Old September 13, 2011, 07:12 PM   #4
dickttx

Even in Fort Worth, I have yet to find a place that has a good supply and a reasonable price. Cabellas is a 40+ mile round trip and I don't believe I have ever went in there with a shopping list and came out with half of it.
I am only reloading for handguns now and because of the non availability of local components I am only using HP38 and Unique. I try to buy it and primers in large enough quantities to buy from Powder Valley and afford the hazmat fee.
Bullets I try to buy 2000 at a time from MBC ($13 shipping.) New brass from Starline or at the gun shows. Have had luck buying old stock primers and brass at the gun shows.
Old September 13, 2011, 07:20 PM   #5
dickttx

engineermike, I lived in Clinton in the late 60's and into the early 80's. Used to love to steal a day off and my daughter and I would go to OKC and go to the wonderful gun shops there. Southwest Shooters was great. I followed them to about four locations. Don't know if they are still there. The old guy that invented all the wildcat cartridges in the 50's (Art something) had a great shop on Reno, just south of downtown, before urban renewal took all that area out.
And Clinton had Shamburgs, a great shop that supplied TG&Y's guns, ammo, reloading, etc. for all of Oklahoma.
Old September 13, 2011, 07:33 PM   #6
Habaz72

Try finding other reloaders in your area and put together a huge bulk order and split the hazmat fees. From what I understand... you should be able to find a max limit per a single hazmat fee. I just checked and MidayUSA will ship up to 48 lbs of powder under a single fee, I didn't play around with primers.
Old September 13, 2011, 07:36 PM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Powder Valley has prices so low, compared to my local prices, that a couple pounds of powder and maybe 1000 primers will cover the hazmat. Besides which, they will almost always have every conceivable powder, primer and bullet choice rather than settling for whatever primer and two bottles of powder the local guy happens to carry.

Huge orders make prices even lower, but almost no one needs huge orders just to beat local pricing.
Old September 13, 2011, 08:46 PM   #8
engineermike

Well Howdy dickttx, I sent you a PM...
Old September 13, 2011, 09:24 PM   #9
Lost Sheep

Talk to your retailer

If you let him/her know that you prefer dealing with the local store, but need to be certain of stock and timely availability, you might be able to work out a deal.

If you know your local store's ordering schedule, you could give enough notice so delays would be minimal.

If the you give your retailer a chance and make a reasonable demand, you might be surprized how reasonable the response might be. Even if you don't buy there in the future because it just didn't work out, you at least made the effort and have him/her the opportunity to beat out the mail order comptetion.

Lost Sheep
Old September 13, 2011, 11:36 PM   #10
1SOW

Quote:
My question is do you shop around for the cheapest components (for plinking) or do you find someone who is slightly more expensive but always going to have the same stock in order to not have to work up new recipes due to changing components and the perpetual out of stock?
For pistol: I find the bullet(s) I prefer and use them for both range and comp.
I then find the "back-up" bullets that will work when the Zero isn't available.
#1 Zero bullets (OFTEN OOS), #2 Monatana Gold (always available and fast). #3 Berry's Plated (always available and fast.) I can switch to either bullet and barely change my loads for the same chrono, accuracy and recoil.

Powder is my problem: #1 Vit n320 in 4# jugs can't be found right now. #2 My back-up is Expensive n320 in 1# jugs. #3 changing powder/load

Primers: I try to stock up on my #1 fav FED, #2 Win, #3 maybe Magtech

Brass: Free. Range pick-ups. 1-2 yr reserve on hand & ready to load.

I watch for availability and sales for all my favs and back-up replacements.

Powder Valley, Grafs, Shooter's connection, Zero/Roze, MG, Berry's

Last edited by 1SOW; September 13, 2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old September 14, 2011, 01:08 PM   #11
BigJimP

Talk to other loaders in your area / your local shops / sometimes your local gun clubs or ranges will order components for you as well ......

I ran out of a preferred powder about 3 months ago ....bought a 1lb can to hold me over ...and my 8lb keg, special order, came in yesterday and I picked it up when I went out to the gun club.

I tend to stock what I need for 6 months or so / for every caliber - and then order in a qty that makes sense. I prefer to order locally when I can / but in bullets as an example, I do order direct from Montana Gold in case lots.
Old September 15, 2011, 07:39 AM   #12
Don P

And I thought these folks had some good prices compared to local folks,
http://www.recobstargetshop.com/

Powder Valley is better by some $3 per 1000 on primers and some $15on powder
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old September 16, 2011, 10:39 PM   #13
Art Willard

wa shot gun shells

I have a huge supply of used shot gun shells...can anyone recommend how I might find a home for them..a