The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 12, 2006, 12:21 AM   #1
rick_reno

Case gage question. Will this work?

I reload 9mm for my Glock and haven't been able to find a used case gage. What I do is take the loaded round and drop it into the barrel, which I've taken out of the gun. If it goes in I figure it's good enough to shoot. Is this the same thing a case gage does? It seems to be doing ok, but I figure I'd ask the experts.
I'm loading these on a RCBS Rockchucker.
Old November 12, 2006, 12:49 AM   #2
Buckythebrewer

Im no expert but,I would say NO,It is not the same.The case gauge will give you a minimum and maximum feeler marks..Also I would think your headspacing could not be accuratly checked(not sure about straight case ammo)..
With bottle neck cartridges you can SIZE the case to much and create excessive headspace and I dont think you could detect that by dropping your rounds into the barrel.Also you would not know if you have sized your cases enough.They may drop in but the shoulder may still be sized to long or to short in relationship to your chamber.What I am saying probably doesn't apply to straight case ammo like the 9mm but I thought I would mention it.With bottle neck cartridges it is critical to get the shoulder displacement were it needs to be (at least in semi-auto's anyways)and just dropping it into the barrel won't give you that measuremnet.maybe with straight neck handgun cartridges it does not matter,,,I don't know

Last edited by Buckythebrewer; November 12, 2006 at 09:22 AM.
Old November 12, 2006, 08:43 AM   #3
carl418

Try this...
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=431329

S&WCA | SAF | GOA Life | NRA Benefactor
Old November 12, 2006, 09:35 AM   #4
JDG

rick reno,
Thats all I use Any time I change bullet profile, I give them the drop test. I use Lee factory crimp dies, and use factory ammo to set my oal, so all my rounds chamber fine.