The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 8, 2011, 12:01 AM   #1
Recoiljunky

Steel shot thrue a model b?

Hey I finally fixed my savage/fox model b "broke the firing pin" and I was wondering if I could run steel thrue it, I'm not shire what the chokes
are the barrels arnt marked but I think it's mod and full

thanks
Steve
Old February 8, 2011, 05:27 PM   #2
dakotashooter2

I'm just stating opinion here. When steel first came out many gunmakers advised NOT using it in the old fixed choke guns. I believe it had a lot to do with thin poor quality wads used in early steel loads which allow the steel shot to contact the barrel and the fact that steel shot is much harder than lead and when forced through a full choke, which many of the fixed choke guns were, had the potential to bulge the barrels particularly if large shot common to waterfowling was used.

In the early to mid 90s I shot a fair amount of steel through a 70's erra Citori with full and mod chokes and never experienced a problem. I did restrict shot size to #2s and checked my wads for shot burn through which I never found (though it was common in the 80s').

But like I said it's just my experience/opinion
Old February 8, 2011, 08:56 PM   #3
Recoiljunky

That is interesting, I've never herd of the wad issue but it makes sence. I guess I'll try it thrue the mod barrel first and see how it goes. Barrels for these guns are a dime a dozen around where I live anyways.
Old February 9, 2011, 11:36 AM   #4
jhog1

Assuming that it is 12ga, a model B with a 28" barrels is choked Mod & Full and 26" barrels is IC & Mod
Old February 9, 2011, 02:49 PM   #5
Recoiljunky

Thankyou jh I do have a mod/full so I'm gonna run no7 steel thrue it thus weekend and I'll let ya know the damage in if there is any
Old February 10, 2011, 10:07 AM   #6
jhog1

When shooting steel a Mod choke designed for lead, which is what your gun has will be a full choke. The full choke will become extra full and is not recomended for steel. Not knowing any better, the first 2 years we had to use steel shot for waterfowl I used a 30" Remington Mohawk 48 with a fixed full choke with no ill effects. I used #6 right down to T shot. I don't think that early stuff had the pressures or velocities of the steel we're using today though.
Old February 11, 2011, 07:24 AM   #7
Recoiljunky

That's verry good to hear you didn't damage it at all hopfully mine will hold up the same
Old February 27, 2011, 03:00 PM   #8
Recoiljunky

I just ran 50 rounds of various size and this would male a
great turkey gun along with no damage from the steel at all