The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 21, 2005, 04:22 PM   #1
Gewehr98

A fix for reloading Sellier & Bellot rifle brass!

I've been sitting on a bunch of S&B .303 British and 8x57 Mauser brass, waiting to reload it. I've been waiting because every time I try to seat a new primer in the S&B brass, it sits very high unless I darned near crush the thing to go flush. Crushed primers or primers sitting above the case head aren't a real good thing, so I put the project on a back burner.

My package from Midway arrived today, and inside was an EJS Primer Pocket Uniformer. It's a handy hexagonal chunk of steel about 3" long, with two carbide cutters, one on each end, precisely set for large rifle and small rifle primer pockets. These cutters are SHARP, and the uniformer comes with two thick rubber caps to save one's hands when using the opposite end of the tool.

I grabbed a piece of deprimed and resized S&B 8x57 Mauser brass, and gave it a shot. All one has to do is turn the uniformer inside the primer pocket, applying pressure while turning, until the face of the uniformer tool bottoms out on the cartridge case head. That's it, you're done.

How'd it work? Perfectly! I've tried Winchester, Federal, CCI, and Remington large rifle primers in my S&B brass after I reamed the primer pockets, and they all sit nicely, just slightly below flush, much like the primers in my commercial brass.

Voila'!

Now I have to get busy, I have to amortize the $19.99 cost of the primer pocket uniformer by making lots of 8mm Mauser and .303 British ammo...

Neural Misfires
Old December 21, 2005, 07:36 PM   #2
HSMITH

Can you chuck it in your drill? I use RCBS uniformers in my drill and it takes 90% of the work out of doing it.
Old December 21, 2005, 09:28 PM   #3
Gewehr98

Not without either a large Jacobs chuck...

Or some sort of 1/2" hex deep socket adapter, because the uniformer measures exactly 0.500" across the flats.

I thought about chucking it up in a lathe, or drill press, or even cordless drill, but it removes so much metal with such little effort, I'll continue to use it by itself.

I just tried it on a batch of Lake City '01 7.62mm NATO brass, and it did a nice job cleaning out those primer pockets, too. Hmmm...

Neural Misfires
Old December 22, 2005, 06:54 AM   #4
Rimrod

Be careful. I've seen a lot of case head separations with S&B brass.
"... he held his gun as almost every man skilled in such matters preferred to hold one when in action, with a half bent elbow that brought the gun slightly in front of his body at about, or slightly above, the level of the waist." - Wyatt Earp from Wyatt Earp Frontier Marshall by Stuart N. Lake
Old December 22, 2005, 08:53 AM   #5
dfaugh

Quote:
Be careful. I've seen a lot of case head separations with S&B brass.
Ditto..my buddy and I had about 100 S&B cases, and were getting signs of potential case head seperations after 3-4 mild loadings...

We didn't, however have the problems you've described with primer pockets so maybe they've changed their brass, this was a couple years ago...

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old December 22, 2005, 03:10 PM   #6
Schmeisser

Do you know what they call S & B in Germany? - Sellerie und Blumenkohl (Celery and Cauliflower). OK, it's hard to compete on a market dominated by Zeiss & RWS. Anyway, give it a try.
Old December 22, 2005, 04:27 PM   #7
Gewehr98

I always watch for case separations.

I'm reloading .303 British, remember? Neck sizing dies for that round are a must, I've learned that very early on.

No case head separations, so far. My two stepsons are somewhat recoil sensitive, and each has a Turkish Mauser in 8x57, so I've been loading a 185gr cast gas check bullet on top of Alliant 2400 for them. Accuracy has been exceptional, and recoil for the 100-pound shooters is not an issue.

I will use my feeler probe in my S&B brass, though, just to make sure.

Neural Misfires
Old December 22, 2005, 08:50 PM   #8
6mm4me

Location: kansas city area at the present, but Colorado and Wyoming have been home. Lived 2 years in the middle east.
S&B brass 7MM

I reloaded some in 7MM, primers went in ok, but I had to trim the brass alot to get it into spec's. Might want to check that issue.