The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 14, 2002, 06:55 PM   #1
weagle

35 rem bolt to 358 win?

This week end at a gun show, I purchased a sporterized mauser that has been rebarreled with shaw barrel in 35 rem. I think this gun may be a real diamond in the rough. The bluing is awsome and it is in a totally unfinished bishop walnut stock that shows some real potential. This gun was supposed to have come from the estate of P.O. Ackly., but who knows. Here are my questions.

Can someone help me identify the action. I was told it was a turk. It is cock on closing, shorter than the 30.06 length action, It has 1935 stamped on the receiver, some middle eastern looking stamping on the left side of the receiver just ahead of the thumb cut out. It also has a 93 stamped on the left side of the receiver. It has some english language stamped under the front sight base, but I don't want to remove the base to see exactly what is says.

I want to rechamber this gun to 358 winchester. Is this something I can do myself? Can I just rent a chamber reamer and proceed real slow till I get the headspace right? If I take it to a smith, what kind of expense should I expect to do a rechamber.

Thanks, Weagle
Old January 15, 2002, 08:13 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Weagle, the cock-on-closing says that it's a 93 or 95 action. If it's a Turk then it's the same action as the Spanish 1893 and the 358 Win is too much for that action. You need to stay with something in the 45,000 psi range. The .358 runs around 52,000. George