The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 3, 2009, 09:26 AM   #1
jondar

Broke my trigger return spring.

The trigger return spring gave out in my Browning BDA .380. In Googling some info said that this spring does multiple functions, returning the trigger, something with the decocker etc. I'm going to start searching for a new spring somewhere.

Is replacing this spring a "kitchen table" job or should it be done by a qualified gunsmith? I would appreciate any replies explaining this process and/or where to start looking for the replacement. Thanks.
Old April 4, 2009, 06:12 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

See www.gunpartscorp.com for the spring. It is Browning part # PO58232, Gun Parts number 187820, at $18.00 or so.

Replacing it should be doable for someone who has a good idea of how guns work and come apart. I can't think what it would have to do with the decocker.

Jim
Old April 4, 2009, 06:15 PM   #3
trigger happy

I've done that with a Colt Detective Special, I'd let my gunsmith handle it
Old April 4, 2009, 06:23 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Trigger Happy, I assume you mean the little mousetrap spring in the new DS; they are not too bad. There is no trigger return spring on the old Colts, the lower section of the mainspring handles trigger return through the rebound lever.

The BDA trigger spring is like that of the BHP; it is a looped wire spring, almost straight when not tensioned.

Jim
Old April 4, 2009, 06:32 PM   #5
trigger happy

Quote:
I assume you mean the little mousetrap spring in the new DS
that's the one I guess (my gunsmith could tell you for sure)
Old April 5, 2009, 07:04 AM   #6
jondar

Yes, I've already tried Gunparts, they are currently sold out of this part @ $21.50. Must be a big demand for that part. I guess I'll find a good gunsmith. I wonder if a Beretta 84 part would fit? Probably not, that would be too easy.
Old April 5, 2009, 07:18 AM   #7
jondar

Quote: "I can't think what that would have to do with the decocker."

Me neither, the decocker on this Browning is in the slide where on the Beretta it's in the frame. Otherwise they are very similar. The position of the decocker is why you can't interchange grips.
Old April 5, 2009, 07:35 AM   #8
lonewolf5348

check out brownells they should have the part
Old April 9, 2009, 07:44 PM   #9
jondar

I took the gun in to a local gunsmith several days ago. He called me today and said he had finally located a spring and price of spring and labor installing would be $45. You would think Browning parts would be available everywhere. Its a beautiful gun but I think when I get it back I'll sell it and replace the S&W Model 36 no dash I gave to my daughter two or three years ago. I'm sure there is no shortage of parts for them.
Old May 4, 2009, 12:01 PM   #10
jondar

Like pulling teeth

Just got home from visiting the gunsmith. Gun is fixed, what a hassle. Tried everywhere to find that trigger return spring. Gunparts were out, Brownells showed it as back ordered, Midway didn't show it at all, I Googled it, got several hits but nobody had it.

So I took it in to a gunsmith about 25 miles away and he called me two days later and said the part was on the way. A week later no word so called him, he said was having problems with the seller, so waited another week, called him, he said one day it was on the way then it wasn't on the way, then they had it, then they didn't have it. So I told him to give it another week and if no help I would pick the gun up. So I picked it up, the smith said he just couldn't obtain the part. On a whim I Googled Browning gunsmith and the website for Browning Service Center came up and I called them. I asked if any chance they had a trigger return spring for a Browning BDA .380, he said sure do, how many do you want.?

Two days later I had the spring in the mail and same day the gun went to the smith and two days later I had it in my hand. In the FWIW dept. wherever I read that one spring did it all just wasn't correct. There is a trigger return spring which is a coiled elongated spring and the other is the convoluted piece of wire that fastens to the trigger bar and disappears somewhere down into the frame.

I see Midway is still advertising they have the spring. All's well that ends well.