The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 15, 2010, 07:48 PM   #1
kbrennan1

Help on a Remington 410

I'm trying to find the model number of my father's first gun. According to him, it was a Remington break action single shot 410 made around 1954-1955. He said it didn't have an external hammer, but it had a knob you pulled back to cock the gun in the place where the safety is on today's over and unders. I can't find info on this gun ANYWHERE. All I got was that it was possibly an import sold under the name of the Remington Arms Company. He had bought the gun at a Goodyear Tire company in Marinette, WI in 1955. Any help would surely be appreciated. Thanks
Old January 15, 2010, 09:48 PM   #2
olddrum1

I am not the resident expert but wonder if this is not a Savage Stevens whom made several hammerless guns?
Old January 15, 2010, 11:41 PM   #3
LollerCopter

My dad has a single shot break action remington .410 but it has a circular hammer u pull back. is this what you are talking about?
Old January 16, 2010, 12:36 AM   #4
kbrennan1

Lollercopter, it may well be. I have never seen the gun, only what he told me. He described the " hammer " as a knob you pulled back with your thumb. My uncle said he had a similar 12 gage, bought from the same store in 1958. Both of them swear they were Remingtons though I have asked at several gun shops and they claim Remington never made a gun like this. My uncle said he vaugely remembers it saying " imported by the Remington Arms Company" on the barrel ???? If you have a model number or any pics, maybe I could ask my uncle. Thank you for the response.
Old January 16, 2010, 08:07 AM   #5
PetahW

AFAIK, Remington only issued three different break-open single-barrel shotguns.

The earliest was the Model 1893, made in 10ga, 20ga, 24ga, & 28ga (the commercial .410 wasn't in general issue until 1915 or so)

The next was the Model 1902 Rider Single Barrel, which was also made in house by Remington, in 12 & 16 gauges.

Much later (ca.1960) came the Model 310 skeet, made in SA by a Remington subsidiary (CBC) - which fired a .32 RF case loaded with birdshot.