The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 26, 2013, 10:35 PM   #1
old fart

whats this worth??

i have a guy wanting to sell this and i was wondering what it is worth? he says $850 to $1000 but i know nothing about smith and wesson. its a 27-2 nickle 357 magnum 8 3/8 barrel. thanks
Old August 26, 2013, 10:38 PM   #2
silvermane_1

i say pass, or say $750 tops.
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c
Old August 26, 2013, 11:06 PM   #3
Bill56

Any box, docs, wood grips? If no, that drops the price. Also, the longer barreled models don't fetch as much money as the shorter ones do although for some, the nickel might be worthwhile if in good condition.

I agree with the previous poster, $750 tops if it's the gun alone.
Old August 27, 2013, 08:26 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Here in Northern Virginia, $850 would likely see it walking out the door pretty quickly.

At $1,000 it would like still find a home, just not as quickly.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 27, 2013, 03:38 PM   #5
buck460XVR

Around here, without the box and original grips, in the most undesirable barrel length in Nickle, even with the target trigger and hammer, that gun would be hard pressed to fetch more than $750 in the condition it looks like in the photo. One would still have to see it in person to determine lockup and action.
Old August 27, 2013, 03:58 PM   #6
RodTheWrench

I'd pass for that money, especially if no box, original grips etc. Barrels longer than 6" generally aren't as desirable/worth as much.
Old August 27, 2013, 07:05 PM   #7
Joe_Pike

Nickel and 8 3/8"barrel? I'd pass unless it was really cheap, but that's just me. In my area it would probably be priced at $750.
Old August 27, 2013, 08:24 PM   #8
lamarw

As others have stated it all depends upon condition and what the revolver comes with as far as box, papers and etc. Another biggie is whether it is a three screw or four screw model. The four screw shows in the blue book valued at about $150.00 more valuable than the thee screw.

I have been criticized for using the blue book since some think it is a low ball piece of propaganda used only by pawn shops to shaft sellers. I don't know, but at 90% condition the blue book reflects $325 to $575 based upon # of screws. If I were you, I would research GunBroker for recent sell history if any similar ones have sold.

I am one to talk since I have been known to pay less and more than the blue book depending on how much I want it personally and how hard it is to find. I am not a dealer or a seller and only buy for myself.
Old August 28, 2013, 08:07 AM   #9
Hunter Customs

Around my neck of the woods the nickel finish would hurt the sell more then anything.

If it was in the shop I would most likely have to sit on it a while if I was asking $750, even then may have to drop the price to get it sold.

I would offer $650 and not go higher then $750.

The model 27's are sweet revolvers, I have one in blue with an 8 3/8 inch barrel, it's an accurate shooter.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old August 28, 2013, 11:42 AM   #10
dgludwig

For a serious collector, lack of box, papers and original grips aside, wouldn't the nickel finish and 8 3/8" barrel be more desireable (and, thus, worth more) than the more commonly available blued versions with shorter barrels?
Old August 28, 2013, 01:30 PM   #11
BigJimP

In my area....27-2's in 8 3/8" Nickel is between $ 800 - $ 900.../ blued is about $ 100 less...( but I'd say you should probably deduct $ 100 for the grips ).

box and papers are irrelevent in my view ...
------------------
6" or 4" models ...are worth about $ 200 more.../ especially the 4" ...
------------
Model 27's were made in 3 1/2", 4", 5", 6", 6 1/2" and 8 3/8"...the 27-2 was made from 1961 thru 1981...and its one of the more desireable engineering versions because the barrel is pinned and cyclinder is recessed. It's a Square Butt N frame / the model 27 has either a bright blue or Nickel finish ...vs the less expensive model 28, or more utilitarian model, that has a satin blue finish.

Model 27's are some of my all time favorite revolvers...and in my opinion, a rival to the Colt Pythons...

Last edited by BigJimP; August 28, 2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old August 28, 2013, 02:34 PM   #12
Sevens

Quote:
wouldn't the nickel finish and 8 3/8" barrel be more desireable
I think the big strike against nickel is that while they are rather stunning when dead-mint, they wear...a lot, and they show that wear. At first you think "stainless?" but they don't wear like stainless.

If you are talking full collector package, a gun that's bought to be owned, not purchased so much to be shot, nickel is often a premium, but only when it's in FINE shape.

"Collectibility" is a funny game. It's often about production numbers, "rarity" and the like, more so than it is about tangible use. Collectibility has a pretty big affect on gun prices.
Old August 28, 2013, 03:46 PM   #13
BigJimP

Nickel does wear ...but it will show holster wear a lot less than a blued version.../ Nickel S&W's are very durable....in my experience.

I have a number of Nickel S&W's in my collection ( they're all shot quite a bit ) ...model 19-3's, 19-4, 27-2's, 29-1's and 2's ...in 4", 6" and 8 3/8" barrels....( the model 27-2 in 4" Nickel gets at least 150 rds a month thru it with tactical drills - just for fun - for the last 5 yrs that I have owned it ) ...so its in and out of a holster a lot..../ it doesn't show any holster wear or have any significant wear on it at all. I'm using good horsehide holsters from Kramer leather ...or I have one N frame leather holster - made by FIST out of New York that I like very much as well - and its probably cowhide../ and what kind of material your holster is made from will make a big difference.

I have stainless models ...model 617's, 66's, 686's , 629's....and while they're durable as well....I like the look of the Nickel guns a lot more.
Old August 28, 2013, 03:49 PM   #14
dgludwig

Quote:
and what kind of material your holster is made from will make a big difference.
Which is one reason why I prefer leather over synthetics, especially lined leather holsters.
Old August 31, 2013, 03:04 PM   #15
Winchester_73

Quote:
wouldn't the nickel finish and 8 3/8" barrel be more desireable (and, thus, worth more) than the more commonly available blued versions with shorter barrels?
No, not at all, to the majority. The highest demand barrel length is 3.5in for 27s, followed by a 5in. Many shooters like the 6in or 6.5in guns, although they are common. 4in 27s are on the scarce side. 8 3/8 guns are somewhat scarce, but their demand is less. I think with 27s, vs 57s and 29s, the 8 3/8 long barrel was more popular on those bigger calibers. Many people wished to carry 357s back then, and add in that many people feel that a 357 is too small for even medium game, and even if someone uses it, its 50 yds or less as a rule of thumb. Its yet another case of right butt for the seat, because certainly a nickel 8 3/8 27-2 is somewhat a scarce/uncommon bird, ("rare" has a different meaning) but on the other hand, who wants one that long in nickel?

Nickel finish's impact on gun values is a funny thing. Many people prefer blue guns. On the other hand, for those who like nickel, there is usually less to choose from than blue examples. When talking old guns, often times the blue did not hold up as well, and so when talking high condition old guns, some people prefer blue because out of X number of high condition guns, often the majority are nickel. I myself am impartial, whichever is more scarce I probably like, when its an older high condition blue gun, that suits me well too. I have a fair number of both in my collection.
Old September 5, 2013, 12:18 PM   #16
dgludwig

Quote:
because certainly a nickel 8 3/8 27-2 is somewhat a scarce/uncommon bird, ("rare" has a different meaning) but on the other hand, who wants one that long in nickel?
This question relates to my original query: "Serious collectors" might well desire something due simply to its relative scarcity that other people interested only in having a firearm for more practical reasons might not.