The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 10, 2001, 06:43 AM   #1
dick w. holliday

Win 1400--how do i get apart to clean

inherited a Win 1400 auto a while back--i think it is an early model made in 67...Problem is this - the gas piston is inside the mag tube and is dirty and is slowing up action to the point that shells are barely ejecting--anybody know how to get it out or a site that will give me disassembly instructions---this is a classic old skeet gun and it deserves to work good....Thanks in advance...Dick
Old July 10, 2001, 09:01 AM   #2
Alleycat

From memory, so go slow...

Remove forearm/barrel.

On the top of the gas tube/mag tube, there's a long V shaped slider of strap metal. Under the apex of the V there's the gas piston and it's attached to the V with a pin. Reach in through the slot the pin rides in with an appropriate tool and draw back the spring, thus unloading the pin in the piston. Now remove the pin and you're home. It's a three handed job, sometimes 4 or five hand if it's never been taken apart. I remember that the first time I did mine it was a real bear to get that pin out!

Hope this helps!

Steve
Old July 10, 2001, 09:40 AM   #3
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Dick:
I have the assem/disassem W/photos and will email as soon as I finish a small project. Sometime today.

HJN
Old July 10, 2001, 10:18 AM   #4
dick w. holliday

You guys "Are the Man" Thanks....Dick
Old July 11, 2001, 05:43 AM   #5
dick w. holliday

Hey Alley Cat -- you were right--took both hands and part of my toes--but now clean and the action feels a lot smoother...Thanks----Dick
Old July 11, 2001, 09:34 AM   #6
Alleycat

Yeah, my ol' 1400 was born the same month I was, so it's a keeper.

Dunno about yours, but mine's marked "FULL" and shoots super tight--we call it the goose rifle. I've shot a bunch of trap with it (pre-citori days...) and still occasionally use it in the games from the back of the range. Tight? How's 12-14" at 40 yds strike ya? Finally broke down and got a Citori with chokes after a season of sporting clays with the 1400--NOT real fun, may as well have used a .22

Glad I could help!

Steve