The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 22, 2013, 03:25 PM   #1
granpa_jo

Mystery shotgun.

This shotgun has been in the gun case for a long time, and I have no clue what manufacturer it is. I am hoping you all can help me.

What I know about it:

It belonged to my grandfather who was born in 1897. After he passed away in 1982, it was handed down to my Dad, who once told me it might be a hundred or more years old. He didn't know for sure, because we don't know when it came in to the family. We don't know of my Great Grandfather owned it, and later gave it to my Grandfather, or if it was a purchase made by my Grandfather.

If it was a purchase made by my Grandfather, it would have been between probably 1915-1953. We just don't know. There are no manufacturer marks on it that I can find, except for the Mark that looks like an S by the barrel release (you can somewhat make it out in one of the pictures) and some numbers that look like they were hand engraved on the inside of the trigger guard and in the flat area under the barrels when you have the barrels open. These numbers match in both places. Other than that, I can find no identifying marks anywhere on the shotgun. The engraving looks like it is hand done, and not electroengraved, but I'm not an engraver so I can't say that for certain.

It is in 20 guage.

Other than that, I know nothing.

Link to a picture album below.

http://imgur.com/a/KnY5J
Old July 22, 2013, 04:21 PM   #2
PetahW

Your extractor-grade boxlock (as opposed to being a sidelock) 20ga SxS with the straight (English) grip appears to be a European-made field grade gun - as indicated by the underbarrel sling swivel eyelet.

The important identifying marks on these are usually hidden, stamped into the bottoms of the barrel(s) & barrel flat(s), and on the action watertable flats.

Those areas are only visible by removing the barrels via pushing the button on the front of the forend, removing the forend by pivoting it down/off, and then unhinging the barrels after holding the opening lever to the right.

Closeup pics of the marks/stamping found on those areas might tell when & where it was made, and might also contain a maker's mark - besides the serial number.

A European-made gun will have those marks (proofmarks) by law; American-made guns usually won't.

The "S" on the top tang, between the opening lever & the safety button indicates "safe" : If the "S" can be seen, the gun should be "on safe" (if the safety's working properly), with the gun/triggers blocked & unable to fire.

When the safety button/slide is moved forward, "off safe", the "S" will be covered from view, indicating the gun is ready to fire (not safe).

Last edited by PetahW; July 22, 2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old July 22, 2013, 08:20 PM   #3
BigD_in_FL

^^^^ +1. take the gun down and take CRISP close-up pics of ALL marks on the barrels and action
Old July 25, 2013, 09:10 AM   #4
grumpa72

Hint on taking photos - don't put a "busy" background under your subject. Plain white sheet, pulled smooth or a muted color but certainly not striped sheets. Been there, done that.

Cool history on that shotgun