The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 26, 2000, 07:13 PM   #1
9x45

Some of this A-MERC brass showed up in my range brass. It is pure CRAP! I had never seen the stuff before, but the first clue was it was really hard to size, but it checked ok in the case gage. However, after seating the bullet, the case is so deformed, it cannot gage. It appears to be way to soft. However makes this stuff, YOU SUCK!
Old September 26, 2000, 07:52 PM   #2
Steve Smith

Actually, if you throw your calipers on the case and measure the case thickness, and compare with regular (federal, speer, winchester, you name it) you'll find that Amerc is much thicker. That's the problem with the stuff. If all .45 acp ammo has to have the same outer dia, (to feed properly) and the cases are thicker, then their bullets are much smaller than spec (about .439 instead of .452) That means the bullets pretty much rattle down barrels. Neat huh? I ran into the same thing...can you tell?
Old September 27, 2000, 09:52 AM   #3
whitebear

Same problem here - I finally went through all my brass and threw away all the AMERC headstamps - they weren't worth the trouble.

------------------
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...
Old September 27, 2000, 11:12 AM   #4
high_caliber

9x45,
Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. The A-MERC brass case thickness was .013 on one side and .007 on the other.
Old September 27, 2000, 11:42 AM   #5
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

Thanks. I have a bunch of this stuff in the batch at home that I was going to start loading tonight. You've saved me some headaches.
Old September 27, 2000, 05:05 PM   #6
johnwill

I'm going to sort my .45 brass and toss any of that stuff too!
Old September 27, 2000, 07:56 PM   #7
Big Bunny

Should ithey not be marked "NOT FOR RELOADING" as in some aluminium CCI shells?

They certainly are out of step...which country is responsible I wonder?

------------------
If we shooting sportspersons don't hang together... we will all hang separately !
Never knock another's different shooting interest or discipline...REMEMBER we are all but leaves on the same tree of freedom.
Old September 27, 2000, 08:07 PM   #8
bcsd372

It's not just their .45 ACP brass that sucks....I had some 9mm that was junk too. Threw it all out!
Old September 28, 2000, 12:18 AM   #9
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Interesting.

I bought several boxes of .40 S&W American Ammunition, 180 gr. JHP, from an acquaintance who'd sold off his .40 pistol. I shot nearly three boxes at a steel plates match a couple of weeks ago. I used a Browning High Power and the ammo worked fine--Zero malfunctions, and it seemed to have plenty of power.

The factory box is dark blue with three diagonal reddish-orange stripes edged in white, and white lettering. Bottom of the box is the reddish orange with a detailed drawing of the cartridge and all dimensions. Typical warnings and cautions, and a "Proof of Purchase" and bar code panel are included on the bottom, and the only address is "American Ammunition" over "Miami, FL."

As I write this, I can only locate one of the empty .40 cases. It doesn't seem to suffer from the irregular measurements mentioned by other members. I compared this case with several R-P, Winchester, and IMI empties and its measurements seem quite consistent with the others. I haven't reloaded any .40 cases lately, so I have no comments on the reloadability of the A-MERC cases in this caliber. I'll pay special attention when I do, though.

Best to all--
Johnny

------------------
---The Second Amendment ensures the rest of the Bill of Rights---
Old September 28, 2000, 09:32 AM   #10
JoeHatley

Amazing coincidence!!!

Last week I brought home some range pickup .45 acp brass. About 20 of them were A-MERC.

Every one of them had thicker than normal case walls. I just put a little extra chamfer in the case mouth and loaded them up anyway.

Joe

------------------
Go NRA
Old September 28, 2000, 10:18 AM   #11
Steve Smith

JoeHatley, I think everyone can the the bullets seated, but chambering the overly large load is close to impossible. You may want to check and see if they will chamber.