The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 3, 2006, 08:10 PM   #1
Mesa

Need help identifying old Remington .22

A local gun shop has an old Remington .22 I have never seen. It's a single shot with an octagon barrel. The odd part is when you pull the hammer back there is another lever (like a hammer) that pulls back too and that exposes the breech. It has a heavy block attached. A little flap pops backwards to presumably eject the spent cartridge. After putting a round in it you push the block up and then the rifle can be fired. It's similar to a falling block but there is no lever and the block goes down AND back.

There is no model info on it at all. The inside of the barrel is either so crapped up with...well,...crap that I can see NO rifling in it or the rifling is gone altogether. The action (whatever this type is called) is very worn and somewhat loose. They want $200 for it which my gut tells me is WAY too much even if it's a rare rifle. I have gone in and caught them in just the right mood and walked out with a rifle for literally half of the asking price. I'd pay that much ($100) for it even if it's a wall hanger.

If it's not really a valuable piece it would make a WONDERFUL amature gunsmith project. Can anybody shed some light on what the model of this rifle is?
Old March 3, 2006, 08:41 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Sounds like a Remington Rolling Block.
Remington made millions of them in several different sizes to handle everything from .22 short to .50-70.

I would not pay good money for one in as rough condition as you describe. It would take serious gunsmithing to tighten it up and reline the barrel to make it shoot safely and well. And I don't care about wallhangers. But you said you do, and that is about what it sounds like.
Old March 3, 2006, 08:48 PM   #3
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Thread moved

Mesa, you'll probably get more answers about strange and/or antique arms on Harley Nolden's Institute for Firearms Research.

This type arm, the various Remington Rolling Block, is FAR outside my limited knowledge. I trust other members will come up with a lot more data. Just to get you started, though - -
From your description, the rifle in question could be either a Remington No. 1-1/2 Sporting Rifle or a No. 2 Sporting Rifle.

No. 1-1/2 A reduced scale version of the No. 1 Sporting rifle, one of the first mass produced breechloaders. The little 1-1/2 was chambered in .22 Short, .22 Long, or Extra Long, plus some larger rimfire cartridges and the pistol caliber WCF cartridges. Barrels were part octogon, part round. Manufactured 1869 to 1902. In GOOD condition, one could be worth $600.

No. 2 Similar to above, but I can't find an image of either. Chambered in various lower-powered rinfire and centerfire cartridges. Made 1873 to 1910. In GOOD condition, possible value around $425.

Could also be a No. 4, or, if a takedown rifle, a No. 6. The later models become worth progressively less. If it has or has had a Lyman combination rear sight, even a No. 7, which could still be worth up to, perhaps, $1000.

For a positive ID, you really need a lot more information, and if at al possible, a series of photos.

Does this rifle have ANY original finish left on the metal or wood? If not, and with such a poor bore, even a No. 1-1/2 might not be worth $100.

Most of my information comes from Stoeger's Gun Trader's Guide, 25th Edition.

Good luck in your quest for information.
Johnny
Old March 5, 2006, 11:16 AM   #4
johnbt

www.collectorsfirearms.com/al1261.htm

Here are some pics of a Model 1 1/2 Sporting in 32 R.F. in great condition with 90% blue and 50% case colors. And only $1495.
Old November 16, 2008, 03:59 PM   #5
Amanda Harwood

i need some help with a remington .22 also

I have an old remington .22 shhort long or long rifle. problem is the firing action is missing. My grandpa toook it out and forgot where he put it. Where an I get parts? an how do i figure out if i'm getting the rite part for the rite gun?
Old November 16, 2008, 04:15 PM   #6
Jim Watson

Remington has made more than a dozen different .22 rifles.
You cant know if you have the rite parts until you know what model you have.
Old November 16, 2008, 09:43 PM   #7
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Regarding other questions - -

Ms. Harwood, first of all, welcome to The Firing Line. Let me submit a little guidance for a newcomer. Rather than "hitch hiking" (also known as "highjacking") an existant thread, one should start one's own thread with a fresh question or comments.

Since, as Jim Watson pointed out, Remington has made a number of different .22 rifles, you'll need to provide more information. The best way is probably to take photographs of both sides of the entire rifle, and closeups of the action area from sides, top and bottom. Unless they show clearly in the photos, copy down all markings on the rifle.

You'd probably do well to write up your question off-line on your word processor program. Once you have it polished, then come back to this forum and post your information, questions, and your images.

Best regards,
Johnny Guest
TFL Staff

Then
Old November 16, 2008, 09:55 PM   #8
Bill DeShivs

The Model 6 was not made with an octagon barrel.
Old November 17, 2008, 12:54 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

The important part here is the barrel condition. At the time those guns were made, all the ammuntion was corrosive primed and few of the owners (mostly boys with short attention spans) bothered to clean the gun after shooting it. The result is that even some guns in outwardly good condition are just rusted out or shot out inside. There is some collector interest, but there were so many made that unless the gun is in near new condition, it has little value. FWIW, I consider $200 is way too much for a Remington RB .22 in average condition.

(The Blue Book and other value guides are great and very helpful. But many dealers, on encountering something unusual, just go to the left hand column - like new condition - and price accordingly even if the gun itself is a piece of rusted junk.)

Jim
Old November 26, 2008, 02:53 PM   #10
PetahW

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

This summer, I sold an 80% condition .22LR #4 solid-frame Remington RB for $375, and a home-made-cased 85% .32 Colt Short Rimfire that had a centerfire conversion for $495 - both to FFL dealers.

Mesa - That .22 roller sounds like a Remington #4, which was a "boy's rifle" sold from the 1890's through the 1920's.
There were a few changes, mostly from octagon to round barrel and from a solid frame to a weaker take-down frame with a takedown lever on the receiver ring side.
The octagon barreled one you saw sounds like an earlier, pre-1911 make.

The serial number on them is on the barrel underside, just ahead of the forend tip - along with a bore size (.22/.32/etc) designation.

Old February 20, 2011, 08:32 PM   #11
dcopper

Identifying old .22 cal remington single shot bolt action

I recently came across an old Remington&Remington single shot bolt action rifle in 22 caliber. It is marked Model 766 "Pioneer". Anyone heard of or seen one of these. If so, and you know of a web site that can help me please email me at [email protected]. Thnx in advance dcopper.
Old August 13, 2011, 02:18 PM   #12
FLFirearmLover77

Not long ago I had a 'smith restore my old (1913 only) Remington No.4-S AMERICAN BOY SCOUT .22rf single-shot rolling block. I stumbled across a gent who SPECIALIZES in original parts for those old-timers and he was GREAT help in restoring the rifle.

Send me a private message if you'd like his email address.

FLFL77
Old August 13, 2011, 11:01 PM   #13
Ideal Tool

Hello, Mesa. If you can buy for the right price, there are liners available to bring new life to that old .22. You might want to check out the Single Shot Exchange..there are dealers in hard to find parts for Rem. & other antique arms, as well as gunsmiths who specialize in restoration.
Old July 18, 2012, 09:16 AM   #14
Ross Ethridge

American Boy Scout 22 short R/B

I have a (American Boy Scout) Remington Arms-Union Metallic Cartridge Co,Remington Works, Ilion NY, USA., Pat july 22,1902, 22 short Rolling Block. This Rifle was handed down by my grand father. I am trying to restore it. I just need a few parts (i think)
Mr, FLFirearmLover77 has a Rifle that looks just like mine and he states that he knows someone who is a smith thats restored his, how can i get in touch with Mr, FLFirearmLover77, could you please e-mail me if you are still around, [email protected]

Thanks Ross.
Old July 18, 2012, 09:55 AM   #15
FLFirearmLover77

The REMINGTON No.4-S is plainly marked on the left side of the receiver AMERICAN BOY SCOUT. There's NO way it can be mistaken for any other Remington rolling block.

I can't add a close-up photo of the stamp because my photo storage server is doing maintenance on the website right now.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FLFL77