The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 4, 2009, 07:45 PM   #1
jac

S&W Model 29-3

I'm in possession of a S&W Model 29-3 .41 Mag. Cannot find any background on this. I thought Model 29's were only .44 Mag. Help please.
Old December 4, 2009, 08:13 PM   #2
gearchecker

.41 Mag, Model 29? Not so sure

Can you get me a few photos.
A close up of the model number stamp inside the crane. The serial number on the butt. The markings on the right and left sides of the barrel. One picture of each side of the gun complete.

With that I should be able to help nail it down.

According the the S&W catalog the Model 29 is and always has been .44 mag from what I read. I'll dig pretty deep to help you but pictures are much better than words, especially in this case.
http://www.corneredcat.com
Old December 4, 2009, 08:42 PM   #3
jac

S&W Model 29-3

It is stamped 29-3 on the crane. 41 Magnum on the right side of the 8 3/8" barrel. All numbers match N918xxx. Deep blued finish with Pachmayr grips. Will this help for now?
Old December 4, 2009, 08:48 PM   #4
BruceM

Mismarked guns from Smith & Wesson are not all that uncommon such as Model 25-2's having barrels roll marked "1950 Target", etc. If both the barrel and cylinder are .41 caliber and you want a .44, Smith may rework the gun for you free of charge. If not, the gun may be of value to a collector. At any rate, this is not an unheard of situation.

Bruce
Old December 4, 2009, 08:57 PM   #5
gearchecker

You have youself a .N-frame 41 Magnum. I was trying to dig deep and see if they ever made a M29 in .41 mag but nothing of it's listed in the catalogue. The .41 mag is built on an N-Frame so more than likely one of the gunsmiths needed to fill an order, and they grabbed the first N-frame within easy access.
The best way to check any deeper is to call S&W customer service and ask them to look it up for you.
http://www.corneredcat.com
Old December 4, 2009, 09:08 PM   #6
jac

S&W 29-3

Thanks for your help. I'll follow-up on your suggestions and recommendations...Jac
Old December 5, 2009, 02:45 PM   #7
BruceM

"I was trying to dig deep and see if they ever made a M29 in .41 mag but nothing of it's listed in the catalogue."

Let me make this a little more clear. What you're dealing with is a mismarked Smith & Wesson M57. The Model 29 was never made in .41 Magnum because the Model 29 is Smith's designation for the N-frame carbon steel .44 Magnum. Similarly, the Model 57 was never made in .44 Magnum. Obviously, this is the reason you can find no information. Prior to 1957, all S&W's had Model names, not Model numbers. The Model 29 before 1957 was known as the .44 Magnum, NT430. The "N" designates the frame size, "T" designates target options and "430" is the nominal bore diameter.

This is not rocket science or brain surgery. There is a discussion of these types of thing in the Standard Catalog of Smith& Wesson.

B.
Old December 5, 2009, 04:02 PM   #8
PetahW

FWIW, the Model 29-3 dates ca. 1988, IIRC.

Old December 5, 2009, 06:43 PM   #9
Sodbuster

Rocket science isn't that difficult.
Remember, many times what we view as a curse in the present turns out to be a blessing in the future. Don't worry about it a lot. Things have a way of working out. Trust me on this one. - - Uncle Bill Martino