The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 11, 2011, 01:51 PM   #1
SDShooter79

Remington R-25

Is anyone hunting with one of these. I'm interested in one, maybe in a 243.
Old October 11, 2011, 02:29 PM   #2
Wyosmith

My neighbor had one, also a 243.
He could never EVER get it to shoot more then 4 rounds without a jam. We sent it back to Remington 3 times. They never were able to make it work either
He sold it at a gun shot for about 40% of what he paid, and he is MAD at Remington
I can't blame him
Old October 11, 2011, 04:19 PM   #3
highvel

Wow, mad is very understandable!!
I have a VR-15 in .204 that's a shooter and has never missed a beat.

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old October 12, 2011, 10:37 AM   #4
tahunua001

the remington lines of ARs are nothing more than a re branded DPMS. many of them are very good quality but their QC misses a few lemons now and again. I would rather go a little cheaper and just get a DPMS, that way there is no middleman if I do have issues, I hope to one day get a DPMS AR10 in 243 as well, their main calibers tend to have fewer QC issues than the others, since 243 is basically a 308 bottled down so the only real difference is the barrel and it's pretty hard to mess one of those up.
Old October 13, 2011, 02:30 PM   #5
waterboy68

I have one in .308. Good gun, but trigger was crap! Very heavy pull and gritty feeling. Replaced it with a Timney. Other than that it's a shooter. Looking back I should have just gotten a DPMS and saved some dough!
Old October 13, 2011, 03:08 PM   #6
Wyosmith

My understanding of the 243 problem is that the 243 is a shell that often uses very slow burning powders and the 308 338 Fed and 358 use faster powders.

The Stoner system used on the AR requires a port pressure that is not compatible with the pressure and volume of gas produced in the 243 at only 10" in front of the chamber.

Now this is all hear-say, but I have seen a lot of DPMS 308s and a few 338 Feds that seems to work fine. All the real 'horror stories" I hear seem to be with the 243.

The Stoner system works well with fast to medium powders in charge weights of 22-27 grains so the 223s, 6.8s ands 6.5s all seem to work quite well. The 308 case holds 70% -85% more powder, but the port is still only 7-10 inches from the chamber depending on the configuration of the rifle. That alone is a problem in many cases, but then when you go from a charge of about 23 grains of a medium burning powder to 45 grains of a "magnum" slow burning powder all the dynamics are changed extremely, and that's supposed to be what is causing the problems

If that gospel truth or not I can't say.

What I can say is my friend HATED his old Remington AR rifle in 243 and I was NEVER able to get it to work………and neither was Remington.

The problem was that Remington took the position that is just "tough luck' for him.
Old October 14, 2011, 11:36 PM   #7
Chinny33

Im an owner

I have the R-25 in .243 win.

I pretty much load Barnes bullets exclusively, both the varmint grenades and the 90gr TSX for hogs and deer.

I shot a 133lb sow pig and she ran 15yds. completely DESTROYED the heart.

Also shot a few coyotes with the varmint grenades.

Its a 1.5" gun typically, but some competition loads i purchased go under 1" consistently. I have yet to find the time to work a load that good.

It is not a light weight gun. With scope, loaded magazine and an attached harris bi-pod, you are over 11lbs.

The buffer spring is noisy and makes a "boing" sound every time you fire it.

The stock sucks along with the plastic meat-grinder of a buttpad.

The aluminum forearm should be changed to a carbon fiber handguard.

I would buy it again for sure! Its an AR-10 that has incredible trajectory capabilities.

Trigger is very heavy.

I cant imagine a better bang for the buck. its very well built.
Proverbs 27:12