The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 8, 2007, 04:05 PM   #1
swmike

Question for Dillon XL 650 Owners

I am buying an XL 650 this week. I am wondering what accessories I might NEED? There are probably a lot that I might want, but based on your individual experiences, what should I order with it?

What accessory did you get that you absolutely would not live without today?

What accessory did you NOT get and have been kicking yourself ever since?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old July 8, 2007, 04:53 PM   #2
esheato

What accessory did you get that you absolutely would not live without today?
I can't think of a reason to buy a 650 without springing for the case feeder. Some people love the roller handle, although I never felt the need for it. (I have the ball handle on my 650 and the roller on my SL900...ehh, a handle is a handle.) The bullet tray seemed pretty lame to me so I never purchased it. I just keep a box of bullets next to the machine and load from that. Lastly, the strong mount. I absolutely endorse this product. Raises the machine up so that you can keep an eye on things.

Case feeder and strong mount for sure. The rest is up to you.

What accessory did you NOT get and have been kicking yourself ever since?
Toolheads! Lots and lots of toolheads.

Ed
Old July 8, 2007, 07:34 PM   #3
snuffy

Quote:
I can't think of a reason to buy a 650 without springing for the case feeder.
I thought I could get along without a case feeder! I agree with the above statement! A 650 WITHOUT a case feeder is like a AR-15 with a 5 shot mag.! After a couple of loading sessions without a case feeder I sprung for one.

Another accessory that is nice is a powder checker die. No need for a light to see the powder levels, just crank the handle, it'll tell you when there's a change in powder level.

I tried a vbraprime , but after 2-3% upside down primers, I gave it away. Definitely get a bunch of primer tubes.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old July 8, 2007, 07:55 PM   #4
clayking

1. Caseloader is a must have.
2. If you shoot 38's and .357's, a full die set for both. Hate to keep changing over and over.
3. I built a platform instead of the strong mount which is better suited for my purpose, but yes, a strong mount if you don't build your own.
4. Screw the primer loader unless you are loading thousands at a time.
5. Spare parts kit. The first week or two I had mine, I lost the little spring that keeps the shell pushed in from one to two. One cent part shut me down.
6. Powder and primer checks for sure.

Go slow at first, each time at the bench you will learn something to avoid or do better the next time. If you plan on loading several different calibers, do a lot of leach. I now load about 2500-3000 each before I switch over. At the level, it is also a good time to clean it up and perform routine maintenance.

Never, never, never force the machine if you feel unusual resistance. If you feel lighter than normal resistance it is also a reason to inspect. For instance, sometimes I get a 380 in with my 9mm, on station one I will feel less resistance when a 380 slips in. I take it out at two and replace with a 9m which I keep with the spent primer removed. Always keep a a small supply of brass with primers removed for just such cases. Keeps from having a primer go down the chute........................ck
Old July 9, 2007, 07:23 AM   #5
HankL

1. Case Feeder
2. Strong Mount
3. Powder Check
Old July 9, 2007, 10:32 AM   #6
The Law

Call Brian Enos. He will talk you through what you need and don't need. Plus you get free shipping. And he has a dedicated Dillon forum with lots of info.

I ordered my 650 from BE and couldn't be more pleased.

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon.html#which
Old July 9, 2007, 11:25 AM   #7
snuffy

Quote:
Call Brian Enos. He will talk you through what you need and don't need. Plus you get free shipping. And he has a dedicated Dillon forum with lots of info.

I ordered my 650 from BE and couldn't be more pleased.

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon.html#which
+1 on that! I ordered my 650 through the local Scheels store. I got 4 extra tool heads, 3 extra powder measures, and 3 shell plates. Their discount was about the same a the Enos website, but I didn't know about him when I first ordered. After figuring out that I was loading at half throttle without a case feeder, I ordered the case feeder, and a bunch of primer tubes from him. I couldn't be happier!

The basic loader comes with a low primer alarm. It does NOT come with the powder check system or a low powder sensor.

Of course the loader comes set-up with a tool head, caliber conversion,( shell plate, locater buttons, and powder funnel), for what ever caliber you choose.

Here's my bench just after building it, before the case feeder. It's lag bolted to the wall, 2 layers of 5/8 dense plywood glued and screwed together. It's VERY SOLID! That's another consideration, it's heavy and requires a substantial bench to handle the stresses.

Here it is in operation after a couple coats of polyethylene stain, and with the case feeder. Loading .223 here.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old July 9, 2007, 03:37 PM   #8
Jart

Casefeeder is a "need" with the 650. I started with an SL900 without casefeeder and it was like driving an indy car with a 1/2 pint fuel tank. I made sure the casefeeder came with the 650 after that.

I like the strong mount and bullet tray but they're hardly neccessary. I passed on the powder check die and low powder sensor. I still peer into each case and the powder tube is right in front of my head and transparent.

The jury's out on the extra primer assambly and powder measures. If I start changing set-ups more often I'll probably warm up to them.
Old July 10, 2007, 05:04 PM   #9
Chief-7700

1. Casefeeder
2. Strongmount
3. Case Gage
4. Powder Check System
5. Spare parts kit
6. Roller Handle
7 Masssive amounts of Brass, Bullets, Primers and Powder

Chief-7700
Old July 13, 2007, 10:54 PM   #10
Archie

Add ons...

I've been using my 650 for nearly twelve years now.

Case feeder for sure.

Strong mount makes it easy and convenient to mount and use.

I like the powder check device, the one that shows the case has powder. I do not need the powder measure check devise that warns the powder in the powder measure hopper is getting low.

The low primer alarm comes with it. It has it's moments.

The spare parts kit. Absolutely.

I have the round ball handle. I've thought about the roller handle but haven't bought one and don't miss it yet.

The hex wrench and bench wrench mount is handy. I like it.

I also just bought and like the bullet tray thingie.

Get extra primer tubes and hanging tags from the stationary store to label them if you leave primers in them.

Buy extra powder measure bars and leave them set for your 'standard' loads. The hang tags work well for labelling these items, too.

Figure how many calibers you're loading for and buy tool heads in the three packs. Buy two powder dies for each tool head when you buy the tool heads. (One is for powder charging and the other for the powder check system.)

I have an interchangability chart for caliber set ups. I scanned the one in the manual and I will share it, but the only way I know to share it is by email. I find I don't need to buy a whole 'conversion' for new calibers anymore. Maybe one or two pieces, but not the whole thing.

One of those 'parts bin' racks is a good way to store all the doo-dads like shell plates and arm bushings and stuff. I found a small part organizer I use for the various sized locator buttons.

And if you can swing it, the best accessory for an XL 650 is it's own room.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old July 16, 2007, 05:59 AM   #11
WESHOOT2

14K in 3 days......

The following is based on my experiences, and the opinions formed by said experiences:

>Roller handle - mandatory

>Powder-check station; the (remaining) ten fully-equipped tool heads I use all have powder-check stations mounted; saved bacon more than once.....

>Primer tubes - I have about thirty small-primer tubes and a lesser amount of large-primer tubes

>Primer flip tray

>Spare parts; saved my bacon more than once (because at times I've needed something RIGHT THEN and the overnight charges were high; perhaps not a similar concern for hobbyists)

>Case-feeder; nice, really nice, but NOT 'required' (but nice)

I was supposed to return mine for a rebuild about five years ago but haven't gotten around to it yet; still pumping out extreme-quality ammo (when I get around to it; made 3K 9x19 and 1K 40 S&W in one sitting this year; takes longer to inspect and box).