The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 22, 2013, 09:13 AM   #1
recon14

M&P 40 Vtac worth the extra cost?

My local dealer has me on a list for a straight M&P 40 but got a vtac in yesterday. My question is...are the sights and other color worth the extra cash? I was planning on putting fibre optic sights on the regular version anyway.

Also they let me know they also got the 45 version in as well. I was planning on the 40 because I already load for it unless someone can give me good reasons to go to 45, other then "It has more knockdown."

Thanks in advance.
Old February 22, 2013, 10:17 AM   #2
Uncle Malice

I like the FDE color, but I would not pay the additional cost. The sights are decent, but tall.

The only upgrade I would pay for is the Pro Series... but really, if you're going to change the sights anyways, just get the standard model and put the sights you want on it. I also recommend the Apex kits to improve the trigger.

I'm not personally a fan of 40, so I wouldn't go with that... but I'm not trying to talk you out of it. I like 9mm and 45, but the M&P 45 has a pretty low capacity compared to comparable guns. I really like the M&P in 9mm. Of course you could always get a conversion barrel and convert the M&P 40 to 9mm as well. Might be a good option if you're interested in that.
Old February 22, 2013, 10:43 AM   #3
recon14

Re: M&P 40 Vtac worth the extra cost?

Thanks for the input. The sights were not a selling point for me either. Definitely doing the trigger job.
Old February 22, 2013, 10:55 AM   #4
silent_assasin

Re: M&P 40 Vtac worth the extra cost?

45 acp is subsonic already and perfect for a suppressor, I have the the m&p 45 full size with threaded barell and eventually go this route. I also reload and 45 is the most accurate and easiest not to mention safest I think. Still not decided if i'll upgrade the trigger, it's getting better the more I shot it. I did change the sights to truglo tfo and I like it.
Old February 22, 2013, 11:18 AM   #5
carguychris

Although I don't have any long-term experience with it, my LGS had a VTAC a while back, and I'm not impressed with the unconventional FDE slide finish. In a strange way, it reminded me of parkerizing- it quickly becomes blotchy-looking with handling, and it seems to scar easily. As with parkerizing, the blotches and marks could be rubbed out with a rag, but as soon as the pistol touches something, a new blemish appears.

Like a parkerized finish, I think you would have two basic options- either leave it in the safe and never touch it, or just let the blemishes and blotches accumulate until they start to look uniform.

As you probably guessed, I would NOT pay extra for this finish.
Old February 22, 2013, 12:03 PM   #6
Mercenary

Not worth it IMO. My friend has one and to be honest the sights are kind wierd after about 100 rounds, especially in dusk lighting where you still pick up the fiber otics and the night sights are starting to glow. You'll still want an APEX trigger even in the VTAC. My advice would be to get a standard M&P and with the money you save, get the sights u want and an APEX FSS. In the end you'll be out the same money but have better sights and a way better trigger.