The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 5, 2011, 12:10 AM   #1
steeps09

New CZ82 from SOG

Just ordered a CZ82 from SOG and was wondering if there is anything that I should know about them before I get it. Basically looking for any hints, tips, and tricks to running one of these bad boys.
Old January 5, 2011, 12:25 AM   #2
egor20

The search button is your friend

http://thefiringline.com/forums/sear...archid=4935819

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old January 5, 2011, 04:56 PM   #3
tornthumb

When you get it, check if the trigger guard is a little loose. If you can move it toward the slide,you might want to exchange it. I am going thru that now.
Old January 5, 2011, 05:21 PM   #4
Usertag

CZ 82

It is A Great Handgun. But There Is only A Few Issues. The Trigger Bar And Ejector Become Very Loose Easy. So make Sure you Keep the Pins Intact and Tightly In There Places. And that will Completely Solve The Problem. But other wise the pistol is Flawless. And 9x18mm Makarov is a Nice and Cheap Round. So Happy Shooting.
Old January 5, 2011, 05:32 PM   #5
tornthumb

How does one keep his pins tight and intact?
Old January 6, 2011, 03:29 AM   #6
steeps09

Wow egor20, thanks for such good, helpful advice. Exactly the response I was looking for when I posted this thread.
Old January 7, 2011, 10:50 AM   #7
jsmaye

Since it's a blow-back design, recoil can be sharp, though not as bad as a PA-63. Some people replace the springs with a Wolff spring kit to tame it a bit.
Old January 10, 2011, 07:24 PM   #8
600racer

Don't overtighten the grips or the mags won't eject and get a maglula magazine loader!
Old January 11, 2011, 06:41 PM   #9
Dain Bramage

I was surprised that the safety doesn't work with the hammer down. You can only carry cocked-and-locked or unlocked DA, unless I'm doing something wrong.
Old January 11, 2011, 08:15 PM   #10
noelf2

Quote:
I was surprised that the safety doesn't work with the hammer down.
Neither do DA revolvers, with hammer down. Most DA guns don't have a safety either. The fact that you have to pull back that trigger is enough.
Old January 11, 2011, 08:20 PM   #11
samandglove1

Don't worry about what ammo you use. Both of mine eat absolutely anything, from cheap Russian ammo to US factory loads, and the bores are like mirrors.

Fun guns and really accurate.
Old January 16, 2011, 10:52 AM   #12
auburn2

Quote:
I was surprised that the safety doesn't work with the hammer down.

Neither do DA revolvers, with hammer down. Most DA guns don't have a safety either. The fact that you have to pull back that trigger is enough.

It is true revolvers don't have a safety switch, but just about all modern revolvers do have a physical safety mechanism which prevents the firing pin from entering the chamber unless the trigger is fully depressed. On S&W 686 for example this is a small spacer which gets between the hammer and and its seat the frame and moves out of the way when the trigger depressed.

Similarly commercial autos with no safety switch, such as Sig p226/8/9 and Glocks almost always have a firing pin block or alignment mechanism of some sort which is engaged when the trigger is not pulled and prevents the firing pin from moving forward.

Is there a similar inherent trigger-related safety mechanism such as a firing pin block in a CZ 82?
Old January 17, 2011, 01:28 AM   #13
steeps09

The cz82 that I got from sog was in good to excellent condition so I highly recommend it if your in the market for a nice cheaper pistol. As far as the safety mechanisms on the gun, its a little wierd. As stated earlier in this thread, the safety can on be engaged if the trigger is in the cocked position. Also the hammer doesnt come into contact with the pin unless the trigger is fully pulled. For instance, if the hammer is sitting in normal position, its about an eight of an inch from the pin or a lil less maybe. If you were to dry fire the gun the hammer will cockiness and strike the pin and then return to its spot with a gap. Im guessing its just another safety feature.
Old February 8, 2011, 02:03 AM   #14
triumph666

if you ever fire a 1911 you'll appreciate the safety of a cz82....except the c282 has DA option which requires a long trigger pull....you cant really have an accidental fire with cz82 because of long pull...not like glocks short pull
Old February 8, 2011, 05:50 AM   #15
donkee

My SOG 82 has about half the finish left on it. When I got it though, I noticed the trigger pull in SA and DA were ultra smooth. This one has been shot quite a bit, but in good mechanical shape.

It is sitting on a cookie sheet waiting for some replacement springs from CZ.

I got it as a project gun with the intent to hard chrome it and do a couple other modifications. I know, dump a few hundred into a cheap surplus pistol, but it is fun and keeps me busy during the wretched Michigan winter.

The other one I have is brand new and I really doubt that it was fired outside the factory. That one will remain all original. I do plan on getting another one or two before they dry up and prices go through the roof.

And unless you enjoy suffering (I do) then don't tear it completely apart. They are a pain to put back together.
Old February 9, 2011, 08:20 PM   #16
essohbe

I have had 2 of them, both had issues with the slide-stop spring. I got an after market one from a guy that makes them. You have to bend them yourself a little but once they're in they should stay.

Don't be surprised if your factory one falls out when you takedown the gun. Watch it when you pull on the trigger guard.