The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 6, 2008, 05:28 PM   #1
Dearhunter61

How do you go about working up loads for a new rifle?

I was wondering what process you all use when you start working up loads for a new rifle?

How many different bullets will you use on the first go around?

How many different powders?

Primers?

Do you focus on one bullet and one powder and just work on adjusting the powder measurements and the bullet seating depth? Or do you pick out two or three different bullets and two or three different powders and work up loads for each?

When you work up loads how many with you load up and take to the range the first time?

How many rounds do you load? 3,5,10?

Thanks,
Old September 6, 2008, 05:42 PM   #2
CPTMurdoc30

I start with one bullet and 2 or 3 powders.

I do ladders on each powder. from 2gr above min to 2 or 3 gr under max. I go with .5 or 1gr steps. I find the powder that provide the smallest extreme spread form smallest to largest groups. I refine my loads to find the most accurate load of the bunch. Then I switch to another bullet and do it all over again. Then I take the most accurate loads and vary the OAL from .020" to .040" off. I then take the most accurate load from that and stick with it. Then I just load that load from then on. I have some loads for cold weather and some for hot weather.

That is for a rifle. for pistol I find one that operates the pistol (1911) and is soft on recoil and crank out as many as I can.
Old September 6, 2008, 06:59 PM   #3
fourdogs

Although I haven't loaded or shot a rifle in many moons, I think I'm qualified to give you good advice. Load only for one bullet. If you're intention is to hunt, that simplifies the process. If you want a hunting load shooting at responsible distances, you only need to use one powder that is appropriate for the bullet weight and caliber loaded to factory OAL. If you are looking for extreme accuracy, you have a steep learning curve ahead of you which IMO means selecting the bullet you intend to use, determining the twist, determine the shoulder angle ( 40 degree is nice ) and incorporating all of that with a tight neck chamber.

I doubt you are heading down the custom path now, so simply pick a bullet, powder, primer, case with decent dies.Work up a load starting with the recommended minimum powder charge. Don't forget to cross reference loading manuals, and take good notes.

Put safety first whether loading or shooting.
Old September 6, 2008, 07:36 PM   #4
crowbeaner

I start with 2 different bullets and 3 powders. Same case and primer. I load 5 rounds each with the starting load and go up in 1 grain increments until I'm 2 grains under max. Then I take the results and fine tune them up to the actual max. listed in the Hodgdon #25 or #26 if the pressure signs are OK. I take notes of each loading, and measure my groups allowing for MY flyers. I have to use medium powders for my semi to cycle and feed properly, so usually I'm at a full grain under unless I'm using 150 grain bullets or lighter. I use IMR 4064 for the heavier weights, and I've loaded many rounds with it. I try to buy 3 lbs. of 4064 at a time so I can check the performance against known loads to see if the load has to be reduced or tweaked. When I load ammo for big game hunting, I load at least 200 rounds of it at a time with all the same lot #s for primers, powder, bullets (if possible) and brass (if possible). If I absolutely have to try different bullet mfgs. or lots, I try to use the same powder if I have enough left over to experiment. Some people like to try 10 or more combinations. I use what works year after year and my rifle likes. This way I KNOW what the rifle is going to shoot well, and there are no "IFS" when the projectile leaves the barrel.
Old September 7, 2008, 07:04 PM   #5
Crimp

As much as some people denigrate it, I, and many others, use Dan Newberry's Optimal Charge Weight (OCW) method with great results. If nothing else, you'll learn a few tricks reading his pages.

West Virginians: Consider joining the West Virginia Citizens Defense League.
Old September 7, 2008, 07:41 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

I use whatever powder is given for the 'accuracy load' in my manual for whatever bullet weight. Then:
Beginning with the starting load given in your manual, load 5 rounds only or whatever the mag will hold for a hunting rifle. Go up by half a grain of powder, loading 5 of each keeping them separate until you get to the max load in your manual.
Then go shooting. Shoot at 100 yards, for group only, slowly and deliberately off a bench.
Change targets between strings of 5 and allow time for the barrel to cool.
When you find the best group, sight in.