The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 2, 2001, 08:55 AM   #1
PDshooter

Dan Wesson Value?

Dan Wesson 357 blued 4'' sight unseen, he's says it looks like NEW. Asking $200.00bucks. Is it worth it?
Old September 2, 2001, 08:27 PM   #2
Cougar

DW for $200?

I'll grab it if you don't!

Does that tell you anything?
Old September 6, 2001, 06:34 PM   #3
Swamp Yankee

If it's a Monson, Mass. manufactured Model 15, it's a good deal. If its a Model 12 offer $25 to $30 less as parts availability could become an issue. Buy it, you'll love it.
Take Care
Old September 7, 2001, 12:27 PM   #4
VictorLouis

Monson? Are they the best quality of the several iterations of the company? I just saw a clean M15 6" VH at my dealer's for $269. The timing is horribly shot. Is it readily fixable? Thanks?
Old September 8, 2001, 07:19 PM   #5
Swamp Yankee

Victor,
Sorry it took so long to respond, believe me it wasn't intentional.
As to your question.
The most of revolvers produced in Monson came out under the watchfull eye of Daniel B. Wesson himself. He prided himself as to their quality. It was during this time the actions and triggers came out well tuned as opposed to "liability limited heavy".Sure some mistakes got out but not many. Dan Wesson revolvers consistantly took all the top places at the IHMSA matches. This is a testiment to their accuracy and durability. Those competitors not only shot lots of loads but they were hot to boot. Towards the end Dan sold the company and it was later moved to Palmer, Mass a little ways up Rt. 32.
The guns that came out of Palmer were of good quality but a lot more clinkers hit the market and the Dan Wesson name lost some of its esteem.
After the Palmer operation went belly up the group currently producing Dan Wessons in New York bought the name and tooling and for the past few years has been cranking out DW revolvers. The jury is still out as to their quality. Most of what I have seen from the new owners is top notch, but I have seen enough lack of attention to detail on a few pieces to make me hold full blown across the board recommendations.

As to the Model 15 badly out of time. It is most certainly repairable. It may not be out of time however. If someone took the sideplate off and was not carefull during the re-assembly, the hand will not mate properly with the ratchet on the cylinder giving the impression of a badly out of time revolver. As to price, $269 price, that seems about $25 high, particularly if the revolver is out of time. If your not comfortable with it I'd pass and look for another.
Hope this helps. If you'd like more info or I can be of any further assistance drop a line.
Take Care
Old September 10, 2001, 12:29 PM   #6
VictorLouis

Thanks for the detailed info! I will keep my eye out for the Monson guns. FYI, I saw a stainless .22 at the show yesterday with an 8" VH barrel. What a beast to hold! He only wanted $250 for it, which I suppose was decent, but the budget has other priorities.