The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 11, 2013, 04:45 PM   #1
JimDandy

Bullet weights in a caliber and their affect on groups.

In theory, how much would the PoI move based on a progression from 55 grain to 69 grain to 77 grain (in .223/5.56) without changing anything else (other than powder charge commensurate with bullet weight) Ballpark works enough for me... Basically will I spend more time clicking 1/4 MoA scopes than it moves for someone who's happy to hit the graphic on the target, let alone the center of the graphic?
Old October 11, 2013, 05:26 PM   #2
Bart B.

At 100 yards, probably less than 3/4 inch.
Old October 11, 2013, 05:32 PM   #3
4runnerman

I have a 223 that hates 55 gn bullets. Stick a 60 or heavier in her and all is well.
In theory it should only go up or down,but I have not found that to be the case in any of my rifles. It shifts to the left and right as well. From a 55 to a 70 is a very big difference in a 223. Your twist rate will also have a lot to do with it.

I have (only ) 9 rifles right now,but I used to chase different bullet weights around in each one. I had 3 different loads for my 223 ranging from 60 to 75 gn bullets. Then I just decided to get more rifles. Now I have one load that shoots very very accurate out of each of my rifles. I sight them in on that load and never have to mess around again. The rifle I take with me depends on what I am going to be doing and the distance I want to shoot. Life is easy that way

My 223 with 60 gn is my Yote rifle out to around 400 to maybe 450 yards, After that It is a Yote that will live to see another day as I will not push my rifle ability or more important my ability to make a clean kill.

If it is your only rifle,make your loads and just write down on paper your scope settings for each load and have at it. As long as you have a good tracking scope you should be able to jump back and forth.

Last edited by 4runnerman; October 11, 2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old October 11, 2013, 08:14 PM   #4
JimDandy

I have one. I have some 69 grain pills and some 77 grain pills. I was thinking about working up a load for the 69's, I already have one for the 77's. However, the reason I was asking is because I was wondering about how much mucking around with the optics I'd have to do switching from the 55's that come on the brass, and the 69 and 77 grains.
Old October 11, 2013, 08:32 PM   #5
4runnerman

You got a good scope,then I would say go for it. Load work up is as fun as shooting to me. Just keep track of your scope settings for each bullet weight.

There will be re sighting in for sure,but thats easy to do to
Old October 11, 2013, 08:33 PM   #6
safarihunter

If all you are doing is punching paper, you may be able to just hold off to place thye groups where you want them