The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 3, 2013, 07:12 AM   #1
theskydiver

First 9mm

Looking to buy my first 9mm here soon.

I want something concealable, which will be its primary purpose. The main models i have been looking at are the glock 19 and the CZ.
Mainly i want to be able to put a laser on it and not have it jam easily. Im liking the cz's, and i know you can get a .22 kit for them but i dont think that works on the compact version.

So, what do you guys recommend as a good choice for my 9mm?
Old June 3, 2013, 07:20 AM   #2
loose_holster_dan

if you must have a laser, the cz p-01 is a fantastic choice. if not, i personally prefer the pcr. just know that having a laser on your gun severely decreases your options for holsters. if you want a laser, i recommend getting crimson trace grips instead of a rail mounted model. this way you can use most standard holsters.

i personally don't think a laser is at all necessary, and prefer a thinner gun for carry than both the glock and the cz. i usually carry the walther pps.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old June 3, 2013, 07:29 AM   #3
SauerGrapes

Don't over look the commander size 1911s'. Slim profile for easier concealment. Stick with the ''better'' companies like SA, Kahr, Glock, CZ etc and whatever you pick should perform nicely. There are so many compact 9mm handguns to choose from, you'll be busy for a while.....

And I think your right, I've never seem a conversion unit for compacts.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old June 3, 2013, 10:25 AM   #4
TacticalDefense1911

The Glock 19 is considered the quintessential 9mm defensive handgun by many. It really is a great size for a multi-purpose handgun. There is a huge aftermarket following for Glock so holsters, sights, etc. will be plentiful which will not be the case with CZ. A slightly more concealable gun would be the M&P compact. Great gun with a slightly shorter grip area that still holds 12 rounds. If you like either of these guns no really reason to look outside of them unless you want a single-stack gun which doesn't seem to be the case.
Old June 3, 2013, 12:11 PM   #5
ClydeFrog

what should I get....

The what should I get posts are common on gun/tactics forums.
It would help to know, your budget, skill or training level, use or uses, etc.

In general, Id start with a simple robust DA only or striker fired 9mm like these models:

the S&W SD9 with Trijicon HD night sights, the Beretta PX4 Storm C or Constant action, the SIG Sauer P229R or P226R DAK(a DA only format), the Walther PPX, the HK P2000 LEM or P30 LEM(law enforcement modification), Ruger SR9 & SR9 Compact.

Trijicon HD night sights are a good add-on. For lasers & white lights, Id see the green laser Viridian with a strobe.
Surefire & CT lasergrips are popular.
For defense only use factory made ammunition, no reloads or hand loads.
A DA only model is smart because Its safe & you avoid false claims that you cocked a hammer or fired in a panic due to a light trigger pull.

If you carry the 9x19mm learn and understand the gun laws/use of force standards.
Old June 3, 2013, 12:45 PM   #6
Skans

If you know:

1. Your price range;
2. What action you prefer (DAO, DA/SA, SAO, etc.);
3. Size/weight (you mentioned concealable);
4. Material preference, if you have one;

It's pretty easy to narrow down your "good" choices.

But, without that, you could get suggestions that range from WWII Luger, to UZI pistol, HK P7M13 to to a Hi-Point compact 9mm.
Old June 3, 2013, 01:48 PM   #7
theskydiver

dont really have a tight budget, but i dont want to spend 1000.

i dont have much of a preference as far as action goes, but i would prefer for it to have a safety as well, for that a trigger pull can be stopped even when a round is chambered... but thats not necessary though.

I would like a stainless but i think ill wait for a larger caliber to go stainless.

i didnt think about the laser making it harder to holster, good point.

i
Old June 3, 2013, 02:07 PM   #8
Garycw

First 9mm

Sig 938. Or 239. Very nice and very concealable.
Old June 3, 2013, 02:12 PM   #9
Skans

Ok skydiver, you've given me something to work with here:

Concealable, no preference on action, manual safety, reliable, able to mount laser but still easy to holster:

Here are some choices: Ruger LC9 (DAO)- http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=345602847

Sig P938 (SAO) http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=345074613

S&W M&P9 Shield w/Laser http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=345334345

All three are good, solid reliable guns; each different from the other, but all within the parameters you mentioned.
Old June 3, 2013, 02:19 PM   #10
mitranoc

Quote:
Looking to buy my first 9mm here soon
Is the 9mm your choice, or suggestions of others? It seems many choose this caliber for first time handguns. I'd suggest shooting different calibers in as many different configurations as possible (with range gun's or friends guns). You might find the .40 or .45 to suit your needs equally well. Of the course the cost of ammo is more, but potentially more lethal. I personally have only owned .40's, .45's, and a .50 and never had any desire to own a 9mm. The only exception was a Ruger LCP, because it's difficult to conceal anything larger in scrubs.

Narrow it down first with skans four questions?
If your mind is set on the 9mm, some to consider are the Glock 19, Glock 26, or Springfield XDS 9.

Train your brain without a laser. A safety is a personal preference, but remember that the true safety device is located between your ears, with proper gun handling (if no external safety).

George Washington

Last edited by mitranoc; June 3, 2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old June 3, 2013, 03:46 PM   #11
Viper99

I have a CZ P-01, love the way it feels in my hand but have not shot it yet. Was waiting for 10 round mags to comply with Ct new laws. But finally I have the mags and will be going to the range Thursday.
Old June 3, 2013, 06:18 PM   #12
ninjaamt

I was thinking the same thing abouit 6 months ago. I wound up getting the Glock 19gen4. It has performed real well, and has a lot of aftermarket items available if you like to tinker! LOL
Old June 4, 2013, 04:47 AM   #13
Pilot

The CZ Kadet Kit .22LR conversion unit DOES work on the Compact CZ-75 variants like the excellent P-01, and 75D PCR (also alloy frame compact but no rail).

I carry the CZ PCR daily and use my Kadet Kit on it from time to time. Works great!
Old June 4, 2013, 07:17 AM   #14
loose_holster_dan

Quote:
Sig 938. Or 239. Very nice and very concealable.
not bad options either. the 938 will be more concealable, but the 239 will be easier to shoot and still fairly easy to conceal.
Old June 4, 2013, 07:29 AM   #15
JWT

CZ's are hard to beat in their price range. Mine is a PCR and it has been flawless. I don't have the Kadet Kit, but my brother-in-law does and it's a snap to convert to shooting .22 from 9mm.
Old June 4, 2013, 09:58 AM   #16
loose_holster_dan

take note that the kadet kit is not available for an omega trigger model.
Old June 5, 2013, 12:28 AM   #17
Mike19

I recommend that you look at the Beretta PX4 Storm 3" Sub-Compact. It will take a small laser.

I have the 3.2" Compact version and am vey pleased with it.
Old June 5, 2013, 01:43 AM   #18
9mmfan

Personally, I have become a big fan of the G19. Small enough to conceal, big enough to be a "real" gun. Mine does CC and nightstand duty. I do like the CZ, though. I got my hands on the Glock first, so that's the way I went. You prolly ought to try and handle and/or shoot some first.

My first 9MM, as well as first semi, was a Taurus PT92.
Old June 5, 2013, 07:09 AM   #19
loose_holster_dan

Quote:
My first 9MM, as well as first semi, was a Taurus PT92
mine was a pt917c. thought i was getting a pt92 with a rail. boy was i wrong. the ONLY taurus with any amount of quality was the pt92
Old June 5, 2013, 02:17 PM   #20
kinoons

I'll be the one Walther fanboy in the group:

if you're not set on having a safety (I'm not a fan of them at all) then the Walther PPS is a great compact pistol choice. If you're looking for something a little larger then the PPX or the PPQ is the answer you are seeking.
Old June 5, 2013, 02:32 PM   #21
huskybiker

I'd suggest either a S&W M&P9C or Shield. I have em both and they're really nice guns. Both have functioned 100%. If you go 9C (or G19), plan on buying a quality belt and holster for all day carry. The Shield is fine in any decent IWB holster. It's even pocket-able in Dockers or cargo pants.
Old June 5, 2013, 03:10 PM   #22
RUT

>>2. What action you prefer (DAO, DA/SA, SAO, etc.);<<

I agree... there's a big difference between the triggers on the CZ vs. Glock. Best you sort that out before you buy.
Old June 5, 2013, 05:49 PM   #23
tristar viper

I personally no longer recommend single stack guns like the Shield. The loss of round count is not worth the little bit of size (thickness) difference. I have a PT709 Slim and the fact it only holds 6 + 1 is one reason it's for sale in the classifieds on here.
A G19 is the most perfect carry gun there is, and lots of people, both men and women, will agree with that.
Old June 7, 2013, 09:21 AM   #24
Skans

Quote:
A G19 is the most perfect carry gun there is, and lots of people, both men and women, will agree with that.
Yeah, except it won't fit in my pocket and doesn't have a manual safety. Perfect for you; not perfect for me.
Old June 8, 2013, 06:04 PM   #25
Crankgrinder

i own and carry g19 and theyre great pistols, but why not also consider a xdm compact with its shorter grip and still good round count? Czs certainly are great pistols i will second that as well. Both in similar price range.