The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 24, 2009, 10:28 PM   #1
doulos

Hornady Lock N load bushings

I just finished my second reloading session after converting my RCBS Rockchucker Supreme to take the Hornady Lock n Load bushings. I have to say that once your dies are set up I like it as much as my old Spar-t turret. The way I reload it is just as fast. I usually load one stage at a time to a group of brass. Its not that screwing the dies in and out was such a hassle but this is definitely easier and quicker. I think its a good alternative to someone who wants to pick up a little speed over their single stage but not buy a turret.
Anybody else set up like this? How do you like it?
Old March 24, 2009, 11:17 PM   #2
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I think it's a good compromise between loading old school on a single stage and having a Lock 'N' Load AP regarding speed. But even then, I still only do about 50 to 100 at a time for each stage from the charging point to seating and crimping. If that's the case, I'm taking the dies in and out accordingly and not really picking up much speed overall. I do see where you could size/deprime all cases and prime as well. But I do this anyway. My dies are already preset, so five more seconds to screw them in rather than one second to lock isn't all that much of a gain.

Just because it wouldn't really be beneficial the way I reload doesn't necessarily mean someone else won't as well...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old March 25, 2009, 01:53 AM   #3
bobotech

I love my bushings. I will sometimes just load 5 rounds of 308 when I am bored and wander into my reloading room (ex-bedroom). Then the wife yells and I got back out.

Having the bushings makes it so easy to do quick small quantity load sessions like that.