The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 3, 2002, 09:21 PM   #1
Sidetracker

Drop-in replacement of slide lock?

I have a Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry and I would like to replace the original slide lock with an aftermarket extended variety(Wilson or Ed Brown). Will this need fitting by a gunsmith or will it fit as is?
Old February 3, 2002, 10:41 PM   #2
C.R.Sam

Are you lookin for extended slide lock so you can more easily drop the slide by merely thumbin the lock down ?

If so, that is really rough on the notch in the slide, especially with a stainless (softer) slide. Eventually the crisp notch will have rounded corners and then come the failures to lock open when empty.

Proper way to release slide is to pull it back, thumb the latch down, and then release the slide. May not look as sexy but your weapon will appreciate the care.

Sam
Old February 3, 2002, 11:16 PM   #3
railroader

It should drop right in. I've been dropping the slide on my kimber for 5 years and I haven't noticed any unusual wear. Mark
Old February 4, 2002, 02:32 PM   #4
Ledbetter

Look at it after you "drop it in."

It may need to have the pin that goes through the frame made smaller to prevent binding. Likewise, at the rear you may have to do some fitting if the gun is failing to lock back on an empty mag. I had an improperly fit slide stop chew up the slot on the frame like Sam said. I restored the rounded corner to sharpness with some careful filing. The thing is, on a stainless gun, the slide may be made of softer metal than the slide stop.

Regards.
Old February 4, 2002, 09:45 PM   #5
railroader

Ok, I'll take my 20 lashes now. Mine dropped in what can I tell ya. Mark
Old February 4, 2002, 10:15 PM   #6
Ledbetter

99% of the time

They drop right in. However, I have seen brand new Colts that didn't have the slide stop fit right and they chewed up the slide. This was a problem with two Colt .380s I owned. Colt gave me back my retail price for one of them (you are reading correctly), and I was able to fit the other one by cleaning up the slide stop cut with a file. Just don't take the fit for granted.

Regards.
Old February 5, 2002, 11:24 AM   #7
Sidetracker

Thanks guys,
I just received my Wilson extended slide release from Brownells in only one day. Installed it with no problems and it works like a charm.
C.R.Sam: I won't use it to drop the slide because I agree that's hard on the gun. I need it because I have a hard time reaching the original release. Small hands.