The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 31, 2015, 08:03 AM   #1
wmg1299

Ruger SR1911 Commander experience?

I am strongly considering purchasing my first 1911. I have been pleased with the Ruger polymer pistols that I have fired, and absolutely love the 10-22's that my sons and I have been shooting for years. I have read positive range reviews for the SR1911 Commander, but wanted to get opinions from actual owners who have carried and fired the weapon over an extended period of time. If you own the gun (or used to own one), please give me a heads up on if you would recommend it.
Old December 31, 2015, 08:15 AM   #2
silvermane_1

wmg1299, i only have one little phrase to tell you to say to whom ever you're considering buying the SR1911 CMD from, "shut up and take my money!".
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c
Old December 31, 2015, 10:03 AM   #3
JDBerg

I have one, a great 1911 for the money!
Old December 31, 2015, 11:46 AM   #4
geetarman

^^^^^^^^ Yep. What they said.

I have the full size and the CMD size. Great triggers and great performance. Don't expect the workmanship you get with a Dan Wesson. Expect a serviceable firearm that WORKS. They are pretty sweet for the money.

Carpe Cerveza
Old December 31, 2015, 02:58 PM   #5
MGRacer

I have two SR1911 CMD's and a full size SR1911. They are great guns. After many hundreds of rounds (both JHP and FMJ) they are very reliable. The full size so far is 100% reliable with both 8 round and 7 round magazines as is one of the CMD size pistols. The other CMD pistol is 100% with the 7 round magazines, but has had a couple of Failures to Feed with the 8 round magazines. All the magazines are either Ruger or Wilson Combat.

I found that the SR1911 Commander size pistol is a relatively big gun to carry concealed and even with a top flight holster you will always know it is there. While it is a member of my "carry gun" group it does not get carried as much as slimmer and lighter 9mm guns. BTW -- before I carried the SR1911 CMD (or any carry gun), it passed the test of 200 rounds without a problem with the defense ammo that I carry.

I would recommend without reservation either the SR1911 Commander size or the full size.
Old December 31, 2015, 04:34 PM   #6
jr24

Mine has served as EDC for a few years now, I have exactly zero complaints with it. Phenomenal gun for the money (I got mine for about $620).

Reliable, accurate, fun to shoot, easy to carry, what's not to love?
Old December 31, 2015, 04:36 PM   #7
jr24

Quote:
Failures to Feed with the 8 round magazines. All the magazines are either Ruger or Wilson Combat.
Is your issue with the last round on the 8 rounders? Mine came with a little too tight extractor and wouldn't feed the last round on the 8-round mags. Tweaking it took about 20 seconds and it has run 8 rounders perfectly ever since.
Old December 31, 2015, 05:42 PM   #8
JWT

I own both a full size and a commander size Rugwr SR1911. Have had them for several years.

Both are very nice guns. Neither has had any malfunction of any kind. Are they as tight as a DW? No! Are they well made? Yes! Do they shoot well? Definitely!

I consider the SR1911 a "Best Buy" in 1911s. Very good gun for their price. I definitely recommend them as an entry level 1911 at a modest trip.
Old December 31, 2015, 06:53 PM   #9
Ruger45LC

I had a Ruger LWT Commander and currently own a Ruger Railed 1911, both are great guns for the money.
Old December 31, 2015, 09:52 PM   #10
michael t

Get a good gun belt and IWB holster and a Commander size is a great carry pistol. Mine are all colts However Iam impressed with the Ruger and will be looking to buy one.
Old January 1, 2016, 01:24 AM   #11
MJFlores

I have to back up what others have said...I own the Govt sized (5") SR1911 and have for about 4 years now. Excellent gun. It has everything I want, and nothing I don't want. Never a failure of any kind, it's very accurate and was right out of the box. I will never part with mine.
Old January 1, 2016, 01:31 AM   #12
HuntingLikeABadHabit

I have a friend that carries one. I had the chance to shoot it a few weekends ago and would not hesitate a bit to buy one. He has never polished it and it is barely getting broke in but the trigger is smooth and breaks nice. No reported failures as of yet and was as accurate as anyone could ask for at the 20yd line.
Old January 1, 2016, 09:38 AM   #13
rodfac

A great 1911, no doubt about it. I've had mine since they first came out, and have had no problems with the front sight breaking off.

Here's the lowdown on mine: approx. 2500 rounds, bought it when they came out.

Parts are interchangeable with my two Colt Series 70 1911's.
Two magazines furnished; 1 eight rounder and the other a 7
100% reliability to date with factory ammunition and nearly that with my hand loads.
Accuracy on a par with my tricked out Colts fitted with Wilson bbl./bushings etc
Features: all the really useful ones and no mall ninja BS. I like the checkering on the backstrap, flared mag well, Novak sights and SS construction. Wish they had checkered the front strap as well and fitted tritium night sights. These last two are the only upgrades I would consider.

It's truly a great gun if you want a steel frame "Commander" size 1911. It is heavy...indistinguishable from the 5" model when I'm carrying it.

As a test for interchangability, I tried my Colt made slide and barrel assemblies in 9mm and .38 Super. Both required zero fitting, and fired and fed 100% with factory ammunition. I also tried Ciener's .22 LR upper, and my Marvel unit; both worked just fine. My original Colt made unit did not.
Accuracy with the alternate calibers was sterling. The .38 Super unit is actually better than the .45 ACP barrel. 25 yd gps with the .38 unit run well below 2" from rest.

If you like the weight vs. the alloy frame model, I'd say you couldn't do better, and it'll work 100% right out of the box I'd guess. No "you need to run 200-300 rounds (at $.45 per round) through it 'cause we fit 'em so tight BS). And don't mind all the MIM BS that's spread around the net...it's just that, BS. Ruger fixed the front sight problem long ago.

Here's a cpl pics. CMD with 4 slide/bbl. assemblies & one of it's first target with hard ball. The 2nd tgt pic was shot at 22 yds from a rest.

Rod

[URL=http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Rodfac/media/Handguns/P1030140_zpsd2f02fe7.jpg.html][IMG]

Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; January 1, 2016 at 10:03 AM.
Old January 1, 2016, 12:47 PM   #14
Jumping_Jehosaphat

The worst impulse I had was getting rid of mine. Fantastic shooter, very well balanced, insert any other positive verbiage here.
Old January 3, 2016, 10:52 AM   #15
gyvel

Quote:
Don't expect the workmanship you get with a Dan Wesson.

I'm no great fan of Ruger, and I have yet to handle a Dan Wesson "in the flesh," but I have examined Rugers and I can find no fault with their workmanship. I especially like the plunger tube that is integrally cast into the frame.
SIFE
Old January 3, 2016, 02:17 PM   #16
xanth

As others have said, great 1911, well worth the money. One of my go to 1911's for plinking.

Sigs, XDMs, and Compact 92/96 series seem to be my favorites...
Old January 3, 2016, 03:11 PM   #17
osbornk

When I was looking for my first 1911 a couple of months ago, I consider the Ruger since I like the 22/45 I have. However, I found a RIA Tactical that I really like and it was $230 less expensive than the Ruger. I am pleased with it and would buy it again. It is accurate and has been 100% reliable. My 9mm 1911 feels aims and shoots almost exactly like my 22/45 Target.
Old January 3, 2016, 03:36 PM   #18
Waspinator

My co-worker owns a CMD SR1911 and I shot it this past Monday. Felt great in the hand and was very smooth... I remember saying that to him.. "This thing is smooth".

He loves the thing. But, he said that if he was to buy one today, he would track down the Talo black Nitride finished model. He told me that the finish on the Ruger gets dirty quick and he also had some rusting problems on the stainless finish and controls (his other guns in the same safe had no issue). I don't know if it was a problem with his particular Ruger, or if it is a common problem... just putting it out there. He did send it back and they cleaned it up and replaced all the rusted controls and had it back to him in a little over a week.

This is the one he said he would buy today (even at an upcharge).
http://beta.ruger.com/products/sr191...eets/6708.html
Old January 3, 2016, 03:47 PM   #19
Stevie-Ray

I find this thread wonderful, since this has been my next 1911 for the last year or so.
Old January 3, 2016, 05:52 PM   #20
Badfinger

Quote:
I am strongly considering purchasing my first 1911. I have been pleased with the Ruger polymer pistols that I have fired, and absolutely love the 10-22's that my sons and I have been shooting for years. I have read positive range reviews for the SR1911 Commander, but wanted to get opinions from actual owners who have carried and fired the weapon over an extended period of time. If you own the gun (or used to own one), please give me a heads up on if you would recommend it.
I believe that the SR1911's are the best deal you're gonna find on a 1911 pistol these days, as good or better then any other low end production pistol available, including those from Springfield & Colt. I was very skeptical of Ruger going down this path, but after launching around 13,000 rounds through an SR1911 CMD the last year and a half has left me very impressed.

At just $650.00 + tax, it was a better 1911 then a Colt Wiley Clapp Lightweight Commander I had the poor luck of buying sight unseen from Buds. It was tighter, quieter, and incredibly, a better carry pistol due to its almost complete lack of sharp edges. You see part of the benefit of the casting process is that it allows Ruger to significantly reduce sharp edges, almost as if it had been carry beveled by the factory. Compare that to the sharp edged, poorly fitted and finished Wiley Clapp Commander, which BTW carried an MSRP at one time just shy of $1500.00, and you can begin to appreciate the wonderful value and performance benefit presented by the Ruger.

At 15 yards I can group the Ruger Commander with 230 gr ball consistently into two inches, which is quite acceptable indeed for a $650.00 1911. Also, the Range boy's at Bill's Gun Shop & Range tell me that they have never seen any of their rental SR1911's demonstrate a significant problem, and these are guns that see very high round counts, likely many many thousands of rounds.

I'd buy another one without batting an eyelash!
Old January 3, 2016, 08:29 PM   #21
Nanuk

I have the LW Commander. It is a great gun.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old January 10, 2016, 11:16 AM   #22
SpareMag

Quote:

My co-worker owns a CMD SR1911 and I shot it this past Monday. Felt great in the hand and was very smooth... I remember saying that to him.. "This thing is smooth".

He loves the thing. But, he said that if he was to buy one today, he would track down the Talo black Nitride finished model. He told me that the finish on the Ruger gets dirty quick and he also had some rusting problems on the stainless finish and controls (his other guns in the same safe had no issue). I don't know if it was a problem with his particular Ruger, or if it is a common problem... just putting it out there. He did send it back and they cleaned it up and replaced all the rusted controls and had it back to him in a little over a week.

This is the one he said he would buy today (even at an upcharge).
http://beta.ruger.com/products/sr191...eets/6708.html

The Talo version IS nice! Could live without the accessory rail.