The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 5, 2015, 07:57 PM   #1
Hardy

original 1858 rem

Um, how do I start this?Ok a friend inherited an original 1858 rem w/ plate in display box saying that it was purchased between 1858 and 1868. It has no loading lever--so i took an old Navy arms 1858 circa 1979 but it was longer so I couldn't add parts. His question is should he order a loading lever(or send it to a gunsmith and whatever it might need,maybe springs) to restore it to enhance value to some significance or just leave it like it is. I have no pics yet but maybe adding a loading lever etc might just be throwing away money since he is not a bp enthusiast and new parts are not original. Not sure?

WBH
Old January 5, 2015, 08:03 PM   #2
Trum4n1208

If it's an original, I imagine he wouldn't want to change it, as adding new parts to an original would probably decrease the value. So I would say no, no new loading lever.
Old January 5, 2015, 09:44 PM   #3
noelf2

I don't know. Since it can always come back off, I would try a Uberti or ASM (if you can find one) loading lever. They may be close to original specs. If it fit I would try to faux antique the lever. I would not permanently modify anything on the original gun. Who made the Navy Arms 1858?
Old January 5, 2015, 09:58 PM   #4
Hardy

I left it at his house. Navy Arms made it. It was a kit I put together when I was
a youngster---circa 1975 t0 1980. It is longer than his so it was obvious the loading lever wouldn't fit. It was to be an experiment to see if these parts off this old kit gun would fit his. No. I told him to hang on to this before I got further info from you guys
Old January 6, 2015, 12:51 AM   #5
hartcreek

I would chase down the parts eithe repops or old stock. Who wants to use a loading fixture when the lever wil work.
Old January 6, 2015, 01:21 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'd leave it alone.

Unless an original part can be found (and not some old Italian repro), I wouldn't bother.
Old January 6, 2015, 08:09 AM   #7
44 Dave

If it was mine I would find, or make a loading leaver to fit as long as nothing has to be done to the original gun. Remember the re pros are made in the world of metric.
Then shoot IT!
Old January 6, 2015, 09:44 AM   #8
noelf2

Quote:
Navy Arms made it.
No. They imported it.

Quote:
Remember the re pros are made in the world of metric.
But some make them to near original non-metric specs. I think a loading lever could be fairly easy to modify to fit it. If I didn't plan to shoot it, I also wouldn't bother.
Old January 6, 2015, 12:45 PM   #9
bedbugbilly

Every repro loading lever will vary according to who made it.

I had a Richland Arms repro Remmie that belonged to a dear friend who passed - it had lost its lever. His widow gave it to me and I tried many brands on it but all would require custom fitting. The Navy Arms was the worst of all as far as fit. I finally bought an old Richland Arms "kit gun" to get the lever and even that required some fitting.

If you find something that works and you don't do any alterations to the original pistol - it can always be removed. It would be better if you could find an original replacement but they don't grow on trees so it may be a long search.

Just don't alter the original pistol itself. If it's just going to be a "display piece" - you could always leave it "as is".
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 6, 2015, 01:14 PM   #10
Jim Watson

Dixie has a loading lever they say will work on an original. I would expect to do some filing.
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...oducts_id=4241

Pictures would help.
Old January 8, 2015, 02:13 PM   #11
Kid Vermin

Misread