The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 19, 2007, 10:49 PM   #1
GJJ

Which IWB for a J frame 442/642?

I want to try a good IWB holster for my S&W 442. I have a Blade-tech for my Glock 27. I absolutely hate it. I can wear it for a couple hours before I want to get it off me. I am hoping that my thinner, lighter 442 can be carried in an IWB a bit more comfortably.

Any suggestions?
Old February 20, 2007, 12:02 AM   #2
BikerRN

If you hate IWB the first thing I would do is check to make sure that your pants are sized to "accomodate" a weapon. I wear pants 1"-2" larger in the waist whe n carrying IWB.

As far as holsters go I'm partial to custom leather by Milt Spaks, Mitch Rosen, Greg Kramer, Mark Garrity and Ken Null. I like leather holsters and only own one Kydex holster, a COMP-TAC C.T.A.C.. It's a great IWB for my Glock 19.

Biker
Old February 20, 2007, 01:26 AM   #3
don't shoot it's me

If you hate IWB carry, try the 442 appendix style...it's pretty comfortable that way....

And check out horsehide...it's usually thinner than cow and holds up just as well...

For a light gun like the 442, a simple single clip rig like this should do the trick

Any decent custom maker should be able to put one together for you.....mine is by Del Fatti but he running 18 months out....oh, and I had the clip put on off center to reduce bulk...and I even picked out the clip ( I hate big clips on little holsters)....
Old February 20, 2007, 07:15 PM   #4
Kreyzhorse

Check out the Bianchi Professional model. I carry a Smith 637 and personally I think the Bianchi is a great holster.
Old February 20, 2007, 10:59 PM   #5
Gideon46

That rig above with the off set clip is outstanding!!! Despite the J frames small size the less you have between that cylinder and the belt the better it'll feel. Also, I'd recommend leather vs Kydex for the way it molds and "feels". I would look at a "MacDaniel" IWB from Andrews Custom Leather. I like how it only has one belt loop that is offset, can be changed for different color belt loops and you can adjust the cant. I think this would be an excellent choice for a J frame. I would order it in natural color but get a black loop for black belts and a natural loop for your brown belts. I have some of this man's holsters and they're absolutely superb but he is running 10-12 weeks.

God Bless
Gideon
Old February 21, 2007, 08:36 AM   #6
omegapd

If you want to do something a little bit non-traditional, I've been very happy with the ClipDraw on this K frame 3 inch 65.

It conceals better than any holster I've ever tried and is inexpensive.

EW
John 15:12-13

This is my command: love another as I have loved you. No one has greater love than this, that someone would lay down his life for his friends.
Old February 21, 2007, 05:30 PM   #7
salvadore

The fella with the clip draw makes more sense to me altho I like a set of baramis. Why use a holster if u don't need to?
Old February 21, 2007, 05:59 PM   #8
don't shoot it's me

A thin holster adds little bulk and cushions the sharp edges of the gun against your skin...it also gives your gun a home to protect it when you take it off...and if anyone ever eyes your piece, Mexicn style screams bad guy wihile a holster quietly whispers LEO....
Old February 22, 2007, 12:44 PM   #9
wileyj

I carry my J-frame and a Taurus Pt111 in a High Noon Holsters Split Decision at 3:00. Fits well and protects the pistol finish
http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Prod..._decision.html
thanks