The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 7, 2000, 10:12 PM   #1
Guyon

I'd been waiting a couple of months for my local sporting goods store to put their shotguns on sale. Last weekend, I was out of town for a conference, and guess who had a sale? I just found out about it today as I was going through some of the junk mail and flyers that had piled up. I was not a happy camper, but when I called the manager to ask about another possible sale, he agreed to let me have the sale price since I had not gotten the flyer in time.

Now I'm the proud owner of a Remington 870 Express that I got for under 200 bucks. Can't wait to take it out to the range for some shooting. I also want to get a 20 inch improved-cylinder barrel for home defense. Does anybody beat Cabela's on these extra barrels?

------------------
Guyon
NRA, GOA, & TFA Member
Vote for your rights!!!
Old October 8, 2000, 08:48 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Guyon, most gun shops have a used riot bbl or two lying around, or sales on deer bbls. I'd call around twon first.

And congrats on that shotgun, a wise decision your great grandchildren will thank you for.
Old October 8, 2000, 09:03 AM   #3
Turk

Enjoy the 870. I purchased mine in 1965 a 870 WM. Killed lots of duck, geese, rabbits and one deer over the years. It will last a life time if taken care of.

It's now my home defense shotgun.

Dave's answer about finding used barrels is is a good way to pick a short barrel
Old October 9, 2000, 12:31 AM   #4
mchgnmike

Try www.cheaperthandirt.com the have great deals on everything for shooting. I may be a little bias since I work there.
Mike
[email protected]
Old October 9, 2000, 10:43 AM   #5
Bruegger

I don't think you'll beat Cabela's by more than a dollar or two. I've looked for these barrels from a number of sources for my 1100. Are you looking at the 20" rifle sight version that comes with the IC and rifled chokes? That's what I'm planning on picking up (though it's 21" for the 1100), along with the Williams WGRS apeture sight.
Old October 9, 2000, 08:20 PM   #6
Guyon

Bruegger,

That's exactly what I'm looking at (improved cylinder version).

------------------
Guyon
NRA, GOA, & TFA Member
Vote for your rights!!!