The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 4, 2012, 04:33 PM   #1
oldone

Remington M40

What I give for my old Rem. M40 in .308 back in the late 60's. With a 1.5X 20 scope it would reach out and touch someone.
I have heard that Remington was trying to remake them. Is this true?
The only thing would go wrong with them is the stock would warp if you didn't take care of it. They were the prefered sniper rifles in the 60's.
Old December 4, 2012, 07:41 PM   #2
Scorch

Remington re-issued the M40 (wood stock, parkerized) several years ago. If you cannot find one, take a look at a 700 VLS, it's configured about the same.
Old December 6, 2012, 01:33 PM   #3
tAKticool

I know the M40 is not the M24 - I know this... Just wanted to chime in with something here.

Remington is doing a sale program right now where they have 'bought back' the Army's M24 SWS and everything they could get their hands on related-wise. They are offering them up for sale in like a 6 tiered program, starting with like active duty Army snipers, then retired snipers, then active duty army, then retired army, then active LEO, etc. and eventually if there is any left over after they hold their chinzy-aces out for long enough, they will be lottery'saled to the general public.

I know I IMMEDIATELY tried to get in on it with my Dad's retired cop-boss creds and he could not get them to even take his name down, they were like, there is basically not a point because we are not going to get to the point where we have them for you to buy, but IF AND WHEN it actually gets to that point , call us back.,

BUT IF you actually are a retired Marine Sniper who carried an M40 back in the day, you might be able to get in on it and get yourself a "COMPARABLE" (although not the exact same thing) M24 SWS from Remington... Check www.remingtonle.com for the Remington Law Enforcement (and military) site. for the real deal info.

Or could do just like me, and build yourself a M80 SWS (M for Me, 80 for my favorite number, Scrappy Weapon System for my own damned takticool SWS), get a Remington 700 AAC-SD Tactical, Harris bipod, a cool VTAC Sling, eventually maybe the McMillan General Purpose Hunting stock the M40A1 was built on, and build your own little copy
Old December 6, 2012, 02:56 PM   #4
nate45

I could have got one of the new M40 replicas when they first came out. I really liked it, but thought they were slightly overpriced. I still kinda wish I had though. There were other reasons I passed on it too though.

I like the synthetic stocks better for one, wood warped too easy on the original M40. Of course you could fully glass bed it, but I still like synthetic better. The McMillian HTG is a really nice stock and my personal favorite, I started to use it for my 700 BDL Varmint .308. I had a Remington synthetic stock already though and its a good one. I like it better for carrying around than target type stocks. It is not as nice as the McMillian stocks, but it works.

I have a Redfield Jr. one piece mount, but I used Weaver two piece and their old style slip over rings. I have an late 60s Leupold 2-7 VariX II, and a Redfield 2-7 from the same period, but not the original 3-9 Accurange Redfield. Since I wasn't going for a replica and just a similarly functional rifle, I put on a Burris 3-9 Fullfield II instead. I can shoot out to 500 yards with its Ballistic Plex reticle and I know where to adjust the elevation to set the center cross hairs for dead on at 600 yards if I need to.

My scope is mounted as solid as it would be if it had Redfield one piece mounts. If I needed it to be tougher, it would be easy to put on a one piece mount, Burris Tactical rings, MIL/MIL scope and paint the whole thing camo with Krylon. Anyway, I get consistent 10 shot sub-MOA groups with mine the way it is, which by the way, was the M40 criteria for acceptance by the USMC. So I'm happy, especially since I'm not planning on warring with it any time soon.

In the end, If I had bought the M40 replica when I had the chance, I could only really afford to look at it and keep it like new. Well, I could use it, but it would lose a lot of value, value that I could have put somewhere else.
Old December 6, 2012, 11:44 PM   #5
tAKticool

I did not realize Remington was selling an actual M40 'replica' to civilians, does anyone have pictures and/or the original 'brocheure' or sales sheets on them, I am very interested in this (historically interested/fan interested not like I want to buy one just curious).

Thanks!
Old December 7, 2012, 02:28 AM   #6
nate45

I don't know exactly how many they made. I'll have to look up one of the old articles about them. It first came out five, or six years ago for a limited run. It was exact in every detail. I almost got one, but at the end of the day, its just a parkerized, 700 varmint, in a fancy box. Don't get me wrong its still neat and could do everything the original could. It would definitely be fun to have.

Leupold even has, or had a green anodized scope for it, since the original green anodized Redfield Accurange 3-9s are scarce and expensive.

Old December 7, 2012, 03:30 AM   #7
tAKticool

Man Nate that was PERFECT dude you really hit a home run lol

Thank you, that is really awesome, I would have been ALL OVER That if it was available.

I am very happy with my new Tactical AAC-SD and its my "M32", halfaced M24 / halfaced M40 lol... but htat is a beautiful and historical piece.

But you did hit it on the head, a parkerized 700 Varmint with a wood stock and nice box lol. Very well put.