The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 25, 2007, 12:48 PM   #1
RSublime4Life

I'm gonna do it!

I am going to start reloading. I read the ABC's of Reloading, twice, and I am about half way through Understanding Firearm Ballistics. I can't wait to get started. I think I am going to go with the Lee classic turret. I am going to be reloading .45 auto to start with. My question is what loading manuals do you all prefer? I am going to get a couple of them. I will probably start out just doing factory duplicates until I get comfortable with it all. So Lee, Speer, Hornady? What is your go to manual? Thanks.

-Russ

NRA Life Member
Old April 25, 2007, 12:54 PM   #2
mattgreennra

I personally like hornady's manuals because they give a large variety of powder charges for every powder. The maxes are clearly marked and there is alot of information. Many are good, if I were you I'd go to a gun store and look through the store copies @ the calibers you will be reloading the most. Buy the manual w/ the best data for those calibers.
Old April 25, 2007, 01:00 PM   #3
Mark B

I'm still using the same old Hornady book that I bought when I started reloading some 12 years ago. I appreciate the value of cross referencing loads from different books, but the loads from my one book give me the accuracy and recoil level that I'm looking for so i have not felt the need to try different loads.

One thing I would recommend is to find a book that has a section on "Ruger or TC contender" loads for older cartridges like .45 LC. I'd bet that just about every book you find will have this. Good luck and ENJOY!
Old April 25, 2007, 01:11 PM   #4
mrawesome22

I like the the "One Cartridge/One book" because they have many different bullet manufacturers loads in them. Or you can just go online and get load data.
Old April 25, 2007, 01:26 PM   #5
snuffy

I would suggest one manual from a powder company, mines Hodgdon, and one from your go-to bullet company, Hornady in my case. I do have many others, but those two should get you started. The Hodgdon book also lists OTHER powder comapnies powders. Now Hodgdon distributes the IMR powder line and the Winchester line.

Also most gunshops that sell components should have the free had-outs that the powder companies make. Those are updated each year.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old April 25, 2007, 01:30 PM   #6
cheygriz

All of the manuals are good, but IMHO, the Lyman is head and shoulders above the others for a beginner. I used it as the "textbook" for teaching reloading classes in the past.
Old April 25, 2007, 01:31 PM   #7
Tim R

Everyone should have a copy of the Speer. Speer has an excellent how too section and the data is from shooting real firearms, not just a universal reciever.
Old April 25, 2007, 01:36 PM   #8
gandog56

I also usually pull out my old trusty Hodgdon Manual. Even before they bought out Wichester Powder and IMR, they gave loads for their powders, and other manufacturers too.
Old April 25, 2007, 04:41 PM   #9
RSublime4Life

Well that is clear as mud. Thats 3 for Hornady, 2 for Hodgdon, 1 for Lyman and 1 for Speer. I guess I will grab a Hornady and go from there. Like I planned, looks like I will be buying a few. Thanks for the input!

-Russ

NRA Life Member
Old April 25, 2007, 05:53 PM   #10
rickh

Where I buy my componets, they have cases of the poweder manufacture books, well more like booklets sitting by the powder. Just took one of each, nice for manufacture reference.
I like the Speer manual and there are some caliber specific books published. Books like the speer tends to focus on thier bullets.
Rick H...
Old April 25, 2007, 06:52 PM   #11
benedict1

For handgun the Lyman Pistol and Revolver Handbook is very good. It comes uncluttered with all the rifle stuff. The latest edition even has loads for Thompson Contender/Encore.

+1 on the Lee Classic Turret. You will be very happy with it. A good deal on everything you need is here--

http://www.kempfgunshop.com/products.../KempfKit.html

Great article on hoe to set it up eith many pix is here--
http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2...ress/index.asp

Getting used to the Safety Prime is here--
http://tinyurl.com/lxapv
Old April 25, 2007, 07:54 PM   #12
kingudaroad

Hey RSublime4Life

Just thought I'd tell you how much I love my Nosler manual.
Old April 25, 2007, 11:14 PM   #13
RSublime4Life

benedict1- Thanks for the links those will come in handy!

-Russ

NRA Life Member
Old April 25, 2007, 11:37 PM   #14
Edward429451

+1 on the Lyman being the staple manual.
Old April 26, 2007, 12:02 AM   #15
Tim R

It never hurts to have more than one manual. I built a data book using 5 different manuals for the calibers I reload for. I need to update as I now load 30-30, 300 H&H and 38 Super will be soon now too.
Old April 26, 2007, 12:34 AM   #16
RSublime4Life

Thanks for the input guys. I went ahead and ordered the Honady, the Lyman pistol & revolver and the Hodgdon. That should get me started, right? Next step: Buy the damn press and get started.

-Russ

NRA Life Member
Old April 26, 2007, 03:47 AM   #17
DWARREN123

I would suggest manuals from companies that make the components you will be using such as powder, bullets and a good general manual.
Old April 26, 2007, 11:15 AM   #18
Shoney

What is the best loaing manual?

Since you have the internet, you need to apply the wisdom of Pat McMannus to solve this problem.

Pat one asked the question, "What is the best hunting vehicle?"
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old April 26, 2007, 11:25 AM   #19
Shoney

Quote:
What is the best loaing manual?

Since you have the internet, you need to apply the wisdom of Pat McMannus to solve this problem.

Pat one asked the question, "What is the best hunting vehicle?"
The answere of course is, "Anyone elses but your own!"
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old April 26, 2007, 09:55 PM   #20
RSublime4Life

I didn't ask which one was the "best". Thats silly , as I am sure they are all quality books. I asked which ones people prefered. Everyone will have a reason they like one a little more than another based on how the info is presented or how well the loads have worked in their guns.

NRA Life Member
Old April 27, 2007, 12:47 PM   #21
Shoney

Remember
Quote:
You can never have too many loading books.
EDIT
Jeepers Mr Editor, you removed the best part.

Last edited by Shoney; April 29, 2007 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Off topic material removed.
Old April 27, 2007, 01:18 PM   #22
RSublime4Life

Shoney, I am afraid I my have missed whatever point you were trying to make as I am not familiar with Pat McManus. I was not trying to insult you. I was simply clarifying my intentions. At this point everybody else's reloading stuff looks better than mine, as I don't any yet.

NRA Life Member