The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 22, 2005, 09:13 PM   #1
fort harmer

Paragon Model CS

I am hoping someone on this forum can help ID the manuf. or provide information on this old gun. I picked it up yesterday as one of my winter restoration projects but have been unable to come up with any reference to it.
It is a SxS double, fluid steel, internal hammer gun with very few markings.
It is marked 16ga on the top of the left barrel, the words in all capital letters PARAGON MODEL CS are stamped on the left frame just below the barrel. There is an inspectors mark of V inside and under the left barrel and T24084 which I take to be a seriel number as it is also on all of the original assemblies. There is also an inspection mark of G on the barrel mounted locking post for the forearm stock.
I need to find out who made it as I would like to track down parts and information. So far it's got me stumped. My best guess is that it is a trade gun sold through hardware stores etc. in the early 19??.
Old January 22, 2005, 11:14 PM   #2
HunterTRW

Paragon was a trade name for shotguns manufactured by the J. Stevens Arms Company. Joshua J. Stevens founded J. Stevens & Company (later to become J. Stevens Arms and Tool Company) in 1864. Incidently, Stevens is the father of the .22 Long Rifle cartridge which he perfected in 1887.

The following information comes from the Savage Arms Company Website (www.savagearms.com) and may be useful in further identifying your heirloom:

"Q. Where do I find information on older model Savage products?

A. Savage Arms is no longer able to access historical information on older Savage, Stevens, or Fox firearms. This information may be available through John Callahan who is an independent arms historian and is not an employee of Savage Arms. Mr. Callahan does not provide parts, gun smith services or offer a locator service for firearms or parts. Please send a detailed letter with:

-Your name and address
-A phone number where you can be contacted if necessary
-The model and/or serial number if available
-Any other pertinent information

Mr. Callahan will respond with a letter detailing his services. Send the
letter to:

John Callahan
53 Quarry Road
Westfield, MA 01085

Q. Are there any reference sources for Savage historical information?

A. Yes, there is a book by Jay Kimmel titled, Savage & Stevens Arms, Collector's History. For more information on where to purchase this book, contact, CoryStevens Publishing, Inc., 15350 NE Sandy Blvd, Portland, OR, 97230, or phone 503-328-9339."

I hope that his helps.

Good luck, and good shooting!
Old January 23, 2005, 05:38 PM   #3
fort harmer

Thank you Hunter. That helps a good bit. I had thought that externally the metal looked much like a Stevens.I had done some more digging and found some reference to it being an early model 311. The enternal lock work is similer but the hammer springs a loaded completely different than the 311s' I have worked on before.
Well thats what I bought it, to keep me in something to do over the winter. The reseach continues.
Old January 25, 2005, 10:07 AM   #4
fal308
Staff Alumnus

According to Side by Sides of the World, the Baker Co made two models called Paragon also. The only information mentioned is that they were double triggers, fancy engraving and checkered wood.
Old January 27, 2005, 09:12 PM   #5
fort harmer

Just an FYI.
I think I've got this down to a 95% probable that it is a Stevens model 5100.
I happened to get a Wards brand Hercules SxS for anothers project. The lock, stock and all is the same except the Wards has a single trigger set up. But it did cross refernce to the Stevens 5100. Thought I would pass it on.