The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 4, 2009, 11:08 PM   #1
stacker

Any shooting ranges in Fairfax, Virginia.

Hello, I'm new to this forum and hope to actually shoot a gun soon, instead of looking at other people shoot them online. I was looking for a place to shoot near Fairfax, Virginia with a couple of buddies. However, the deliemma is I do not own a gun, nor do my friends, and I don't know if any ranges allow us to rent their guns (preferably handguns). I know that the NRA headquarters is located near here and house a shooting range in their basement but I don't know if they have gun rentals. So, if anyone has any experience with shooting ranges in my area; please don't hesitate to reply.

Problem:
-I have no gun
-I don't know of any handgun shooting ranges near Fairfax or Burke, Virginia

Solutions anyone?

Thanks, Sam
Old December 5, 2009, 01:34 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Gilbert's on Route 1 in Springfield rents.

I believe that Blue Ridge Arsenal in Chantilly also still rents firearms.

Those are the only two I know of in Fairfax County.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 5, 2009, 02:06 AM   #3
gak

OT but that's my "home town"...not born there but my first real memories as a kid (57-62) and they're still pretty vivid :-)...really led a Huck Finn/Stand By Me existence trying to catch (avoid?) snapping turtles and walking the RR tracks in the backwoods near there with my buddies. My first shots were taken with the family's Win 69A .22 back behind Braddock Rd. and out near the Manassas/Bull Run Battlefield park (those were the days!). I collected box turtles (tortoises) in the "wild" forest where Geo. Mason U. now stands. A sad day when the graders showed up for that! Still have a lot of family in N.Va. Good luck with the range.
Old December 5, 2009, 07:31 AM   #4
Keithg

range in NOVA

There's a place called Sharp Shooters Small Arms Range in Newington that just changed from Gilberts. It's pretty much right next to the mixing bowl. They have rentals there.
Old December 5, 2009, 07:34 AM   #5
BlueTrain

I would recommend Gilbert's, which is really in Newington. It is rather hard to find but looking at the address on Google Maps or something like that will get you there. They's also just changed the routing where you get on the bridge to cross 95, so that will throw you, too. Anyway, they have guns to rent and classes, too.

There used to be an indoor range in Annandale next door to Dawson's gun shop used to be located. I think it's still there but they don't rent guns and you have to buy their ammo. Same with Clark Brothers on Route 29 the other side of Warrenton but at Clark Brothers you can shoot rifles, shotguns and black powder, even .50 calibers but no rapid fire.

Blue Ridge Arsenal seems almost empty, relatively speaking, when you go in there with not so much stuff for sale, so it must be mainly for the range users. I've never used their range but they now have an employee who used to work at the old Hunter's Haven at Zero Prince Street in Alexandria.

There also used to be a fairly busy indoor range in Woodbridge on Route 1 about two blocks north of Dawson's present location. They had tons of guns and related stuff but they had a fire (which I think was the second one) and have been closed ever since. But sooner or later I expect they'll re-open and they did rent guns.

I still recommend Gilbert's over all the others. Ask for Ernie and tell him Kenneth sent you.
Buy War Bonds.
Old December 5, 2009, 07:44 AM   #6
PSP

Quote:
But sooner or later I expect they'll re-open and they did rent guns.

Shooter's Paradise in Woodbridge is not reopening. I miss them.

Fredericksburg would be a hike, but there is a rental range there off Rt.1. Many pistol rentals. Rental UZI or MP5 too if you want.
http://www.indoorrange.com/

Last edited by PSP; December 5, 2009 at 07:58 AM.
Old December 5, 2009, 07:54 AM   #7
BlueTrain

They always seemed busy when I dropped in, though I never used the range and never bought anything there (It was on the way to Dawson's). Something will turn up in the area to take up the slack.

A funny thing, once I was in there and talking to who I assume was the owner. We were talking old guns (what else?) and in discussing pre-war registered .357 Magnums, we came to the realization that we'd both owned the same revolver. Now, the thing you want to avoid is buying the same gun twice.
Buy War Bonds.
Old December 5, 2009, 09:16 AM   #8
PSP

I've never been there, but this range looks pretty nice.

http://www.silvereagle-group.com/
Old December 5, 2009, 09:19 AM   #9
Keithg

Quote:
I would recommend Gilbert's, which is really in Newington. It is rather hard to find but looking at the address on Google Maps or something like that will get you there. They's also just changed the routing where you get on the bridge to cross 95, so that will throw you, too. Anyway, they have guns to rent and classes, too.
Yes, this is the one that has changed to Sharp Shooters. http://www.sharpshootersva.com/
Old December 5, 2009, 12:32 PM   #10
chris in va

Something to ponder. When you rent a gun, most ranges require you to buy their own ammo. The last indoor range I visited wanted $25/50 for 9mm.

Bring lots of cash.:barf:

As a side note I'd recommend you ask if someone on here can show you the ropes of pistol shooting. There are LOTS of things you just don't know about yet that can get you or someone else in a world of trouble. I'm sure if you provide range fees and ammo costs there is an individual here that would be glad to help out.
Old December 6, 2009, 07:01 AM   #11
BlueTrain

I need to get out more. When did Gilbert's change their name and is there a new owner?
Buy War Bonds.
Old December 6, 2009, 02:20 PM   #12
bufordtjustice

Silver Eagle up by Dulles airport has really good facilities and they rent guns too if I remember correctly. They seem to be pretty good people and easy to deal with as well which go a long way in my book. Give them a try. Also, their address I believe is technically in Ashburn if that matters.

http://www.silvereagle-group.com/
Old December 6, 2009, 02:43 PM   #13
NRAhab

The NRA Headquarters range is one of the nicest indoor ranges on the face of God's green earth. Mind you, they don't rent guns, but once you acquire a blaster of your own it's pretty much the place to beat for ranges in Fairfax. When I was a young(er) warthog living in DC, it was right on my commute home from Arlington, so I'd stop off after work every now and then to pull triggers.
Old December 6, 2009, 03:43 PM   #14
BlueTrain

Just got back from the former Gilbert's. There have been changes. New owner three years ago and Earnie hasn't been there since last January. They wondered where I'd been, too.
Buy War Bonds.
Old December 6, 2009, 10:42 PM   #15
EnoughGUN

Silver Eagle is amazing and considering they have memberships that are over 40 grand a year the prices were very reasonable. The range is top notch and the people were very nice. The two smoking hot girls working the counter didn'y hurt either.

I am not sure how far it is from you but On Target is Severn MD is nice and they rent.
Old December 7, 2009, 11:34 AM   #16
gregjc9

Another vote for Sharp Shooters (formerly knows as Gilberts). They require (or did) a membership to shoot there, though you could a month long membership so it didnt cost so much.

I shoot IDPA at Blue Ridge and SEG monthly. BRA is always fairly busy when I'm there, and they have several rentals to choose from. The range is OK, ventilation sux , in the summertime it gets real hot. SEG is a state of the art facility, and very nice to shoot in.

Greg