The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 9, 2002, 09:14 PM   #1
Lo-khem

Pistol grip or traditional square butt?

Man I love the way a pistol grip looks. What is more practical for home defense, the traditional or the Pistol grip? Never held a pistol grip but man they look fierce. Pro's and cons to both please

Respect to John Brown, Nat Turner, Malcolm X, Huey Newton and Assata Shakur. Power to freedom Fighters & righteous men. To hell with gangstas, crooked cops and racists.
Old September 9, 2002, 09:48 PM   #2
C.R.Sam

If you talkin bout pistol grip only...
No butt stock...
Most otherwise really good shots have trouble hitting things with them.
Especially with follow up shots.

Trick look doesn't stop bad guys.
Properly placed shots do.

Sam
Old September 10, 2002, 04:36 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

PG only shotguns are not good real world choices except for some very rare circumstances.

The good shooters seldom use a PG equipped full stock, but some do well with them for HD and other "Serious" use. It comes down to personal choice.

HTH...
Old September 10, 2002, 02:29 PM   #4
kotengu

I'm a long ways from doing this long enough to know what I'm talking about, but I prefer the full stock with pistol grip. For one thing, it's of the same basic make up as my rifle and carbine, so I'm comortable with it. It also makes it easier to hold the gun on target while frantically shoving rounds in the magazine (some call it reloading), and you can take an "emergency" shot if you have to while reloading (assuming you haven't shot the gun dry).
Old September 10, 2002, 06:35 PM   #5
dfaugh

If you must

Have a pistol grip, get folding stock...Compact, OK for quick emergency shots(albeit less accurately), but if you have the split second, unfold for aimed fire... Mine works for me well, but many don't like 'em

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old September 10, 2002, 06:58 PM   #6
ninjalawyer

Ouch!

Be careful choosing folding stocks for shotguns. Most are just way too skinny and they'll try to take your arm off at the shoulder with full-power rounds. Unless you're planning on keeping it under a trench coat or piling into a car with it, keep the stock fixed. My $.02.
Old September 11, 2002, 07:03 AM   #7
dfaugh

ninjalawyer is correct

This is one reason many don't like the available folding stocks....I use 3" magnum 00 buck (S&B) for HD...and with these the gun definitely "kills at both ends"...Makes practicing somewhat less attractive....However in a true, serious HD situation, the bruise on my shoulder is the last thing I'll be worrying about!

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old September 12, 2002, 03:07 PM   #8
V-fib

Had a pistol grip on my Moss 500 until I found out I'd have to register it as a pistol. But the may reason I put my original composite stock back on was better control. Also shooting on a regular basis with a pistol grip sure takes a toll on your hand.

Old September 12, 2002, 04:49 PM   #9
Correia

There can often be some confusion over these terms, but when you say pistol grip, do you mean just the pistol grip, or pistol grip with a buttstock?

PG only shotguns make me laugh. In all honesty they take the worst of everything and stick it together. I can see almost no purpose for a PG only shotgun, other than maybe if you were planning on having a gunfight in an elevator. You can no longer aim worth squat. Recoil is much more difficult to control. I just don’t see how they can manage to sell these, unless it is to those same guys who have laser sights, heat shields, and a bayonet on their PG Mossberg.

PG and a buttstock. These work fine. Just depends on what you are more comfortable with. Note, if you are an 870 shooter, some of the PGwB stocks will make it tough to disengage the safety easily. According to some people the PGwB has less felt recoil, because the recoil comes straight back. If this works for you more power to you.

Folders. Most suck. Some suck less than others. I haven’t used one that I like yet. The top folding Remington police model is designed to kick you painfully in the cheek. I believe it was designed by an antigunner in the hopes of teaching us to dislike shooting. (kind of a Pavlovian thing).
Old September 12, 2002, 09:30 PM   #10
zxc

PG for your serious SG, buttstocks for your hunting app where you have to be ethical. yeah right whatever floats your boat. Some day when I get old, all my guns will be single shots cuz by then Id learned all Ive learned from the great minds off the internet...its the placement that counts. meanwhile its your enjoyment and money.