The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old April 14, 2015, 03:12 PM   #26
manta49

Quote:
For comparison, N. Ireland has a population of just under 2 million.
If 60K own guns, then the ratio is about 30 to one.

Quote:
Send them a video of Piers Morgan telling them why they don't need guns.
No one here pays any attention to what Piers Morgan says, besides apparently he loves it in America and is staying there.
Old April 14, 2015, 03:34 PM   #27
rickyrick

Interesting... Why do we have the impression that everyone in the UK and Australia turned all their guns in and had them destroyed?

I remember seeing videos of it... I'm guessing more of our media twist lol
Old April 14, 2015, 03:34 PM   #28
TimSr

Quote:
We have NATO agreements that would trigger military aid from the US and much of Europe. We would be obligated to act, which we were not in 1939.
I don't think any of our allies are counting on that any more.
Old April 14, 2015, 03:43 PM   #29
pnac

Quote:
No one here pays any attention to what Piers Morgan says, besides apparently he loves it in America and is staying there.
Oouch!! That was cold! The truth maybe, but you didn't have to rub it in!
Oh Lord grant me speed - Gram Parsons
Old April 14, 2015, 03:51 PM   #30
manta49

Quote:
Oouch!! That was cold! The truth maybe, but you didn't have to rub it in!
Sorry I had to.
Old April 14, 2015, 07:32 PM   #31
egor20

My wife's British born, I'd just send her and all the toys she has.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old April 14, 2015, 08:08 PM   #32
MikeG

I suppose it would be too cruel to supply arms to them on the condition they take Piers back.

But Britain is and has been one of our staunchest allies. We should do something.
Old April 14, 2015, 09:26 PM   #33
Cowboy_mo

I would tell the Brits, my family did its part once when my Dad spent two years on an airbase outside of London dodging buzz bombs to save their butts and afterwards they chose to basically disarm their population so this time they are on their own.

I would however donate $ to buy Piers Morgan a 1 way ticket back home
Old April 15, 2015, 01:23 PM   #34
Strafer Gott

I didn't think gun ownership in the UK was the problem. Just defending yourself with one! Perhaps Manta will further enlighten us. Imagine dumping a cap in ISIS, and being arrested forthwith. If I supplied the firearm, I'd be complicit.
Unintended consequences are the second edge on control laws.
Old April 15, 2015, 01:35 PM   #35
madmo44mag

Sorry mate!
You let your gooberment pull your teeth so gum the bad guy to death.
I will send you a case of dental floss and band-aids.
Old April 15, 2015, 01:38 PM   #36
manta49

Quote:
I didn't think gun ownership in the UK was the problem. Just defending yourself with one! Perhaps Manta will further enlighten us. Imagine dumping a cap in ISIS, and being arrested forthwith. If I supplied the firearm, I'd be complicit.
Unintended consequences are the second edge on control laws.
First mistake people make is talking about the UK as if its one place with the same firearms laws, people make the same mistake talking about America. In England Scotland and Wales firearms can be got for hunting and sporting, not self defence. But you can use what ever weapon you can get your hands on to defend yourself including a firearm, if someone threatened you in your house for example. In Northern Ireland ( UK ) firearms can be obtained for self defence, in certain cases.
Old April 15, 2015, 04:53 PM   #37
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
First mistake people make is talking about the UK as if its one place with the same firearms laws, people make the same mistake talking about America. In England Scotland and Wales firearms can be got for hunting and sporting, not self defence. But you can use what ever weapon you can get your hands on to defend yourself including a firearm, if someone threatened you in your house for example.
Flogging a dead horse there, Manta....

These same points (and others) have been raised ad infinitum to largely the same members.
People may read but they only see what they want to. If they'd wanted to learn the truth of the situation in the UK and how pointless comparisons are, they would have by now.

Case in point:
Quote:
What we have to worry about is that in a lot of ways this country is a lot like Great Britain.
About the only things the UK and USA have in common is the language and the fact that Magna Carta in someway influenced their current system of law. It is not much "a lot like" beyond that...

Quote:
I was reading an article recently, on Cnn I think
And people curse CNN for getting everything wrong about guns, but take it as gospel when they talk about another country....

Yet, mention the UK on TFL and the same little prejudices rear their heads. I guess they're just way too convenient to let go.

The absurdity of using a completely different country as a lightening rod for domestic anti-2A policy frustrations....
Old April 15, 2015, 06:25 PM   #38
Glenn E. Meyer

We have wandered away from the OP.

Closed.
Old April 15, 2015, 06:45 PM   #39
44 AMP
Staff

Many years ago I was watching one of those old classic movies (B&W), have long forgotten the name, or most of the details, but I remember one scene, it has stuck with me.

The movie was one where a group of people had been lured to an island, and they were most Brits, some Americans. When they realize that they are being killed, one (American, I think) asks if there is a gun in the house.

The reply has stuck with me for decades, delivered in an indignant tone, it was, "of course not! I am a proper Englishman!"

James, I understand your point, and its entirely valid.

I think the root cause of the resentment is actually the people who are using Brit laws as their example of what we (US) should be. Some are Brits, some are from other places, and a great many of them are home grown.

By using Britain as their example they make Britian a target for resentment.

If those people simply kept their mouths shut, most folks in the US wouldn't care about Brit (or anyone else's) gun laws.

But they won't. And since the people are individual scattered targets, the animosity gets dumped on the example they keep beating us over the head with, and by extension, everything connected with it.

Not fair, not right, but tis the way the world works today.

In 1940, the world was a much different place than it is today.