The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 14, 2002, 10:57 AM   #1
hansolo

.22 Remington rifle feeding problem

I'm borrowing a "Speedmaster" Remington tube-feeder. It will feed/fire/eject fine and then, a round jams at an angle on the feedramp. I have tried several types of .22 ammo, cleaned and lubed the rifle. The owner doesn't know a lot about it(picked-up from relative). I'm more into handguns, so I'm thinking, 1.) Ammo,
2.) Feeding spring(s), 3.)

Otherwise, this older scoped .22 is a fun rifle I may want to aquire, if I can take care of feeding problem!

Thanks!

Steve
Old September 14, 2002, 07:36 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

The problem is probably in the feed lips that hold the round in position for the bolt. Those spread easily and sometimes just pinching them closed a bit fixes the problem. Basically, the under-barrel tube magazine is the world's worst feeding system for .22, with one or two exceptions, and they are not Remingtons.

Jim
Old September 14, 2002, 11:10 PM   #3
hansolo

Thanks for the "heads up" RE bad-feeding design! ...not being a fan of jamomatics, I'll try your suggestion...if the FTF continues, bye bye Remington, hello Ruger 10/22!
Old September 16, 2002, 05:20 PM   #4
redneck

I have a 121 fieldmaster, predecessor to the speedmaster (only its a pump, the speedmaster is semi right?) It did the exact same thing with pretty much everything but .22shorts. I completely took down the action and scrubbed everything with a toothbrush and rem oil, wiped it all dry, then assembled and lightly oiled it. Now it feeds everything but Remington YellowJackets.
They hang up on the feed ramp everytime, have to lift them a little with your finger as you close the action.
Don't know if cleaning the action good would help you but it made a big difference with this rifle, other than yellow jackets.

Stingers are a hair longer than standard LR right? Anyone know if yellowjackets are the same? I think I remember reading that they started overloading slightly to get better performance, but don't know about the yellow jackets.