The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 3, 2015, 05:03 PM   #101
Nlight1

Why would I want to stop buying guns?
Old April 3, 2015, 05:23 PM   #102
Kimio

I don't stop buying guns, I simply get delayed by my bank account deciding go on extremely long periods of fasting...
Old April 3, 2015, 08:33 PM   #103
SauerGrapes

Funny how I just passed on two 3rd gen S&W 45's I was sure I needed. Both sold in 1 day.
Damn I hate being sensible.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old April 3, 2015, 09:49 PM   #104
JWT

Why in the world would anyone want to stop buying guns? Makes no sense.....
Old April 18, 2015, 07:21 PM   #105
Ozzieman

I'm sorry to say that I found a way to stop.
I bought a new truck last week and the wife made me promise,,,,, NO NEW GUNS until its paid off,
I'm thinking it might be the end of the world

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old April 18, 2015, 07:27 PM   #106
FITASC

Quote:
Why in the world would anyone want to stop buying guns? Makes no sense.....
Until SWMBO says "we" need to remodel or do something else around the house........................."happy wife, happy life"............
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 19, 2015, 12:09 AM   #107
stagpanther

Quote:
I'm sorry to say that I found a way to stop.
I bought a new truck last week and the wife made me promise,,,,, NO NEW GUNS until its paid off,
I'm thinking it might be the end of the world
"Everyone speaks gun."--Robert O'Neill
I am NOT an expert--I do not have any formal experience or certification in firearms use or testing; use any information I post at your own risk!
Old April 19, 2015, 01:30 AM   #108
ranger56528

I'll never stop buying weapons sometimes it just takes longer to build up the stash cash depending on what iam looking for, it will either be a rifle or a case of ammo,right now I am saving for a 17S but if something else comes along and I have the cash and think I need it I'll buy it but don't think I would ever just stop unless I pass away.
My wife doesn't mind either heck she buys me ammo here and there,as long as the monthly budget isn't effected all is good,hasn't been a issue for 19 years.
Old April 19, 2015, 11:53 AM   #109
Ozzieman

Quote:
Can't wait to see what you trade the truck for.
A divorce,,, if I did

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old April 19, 2015, 12:09 PM   #110
Cirdan

If anyone figures out an answer, let us know. I've bought three in the last five months and it's eating into my savings. Since I try to shoot everything every month, I'm spending a lot of time in the desert.
Old April 19, 2015, 12:18 PM   #111
Wishoot

Paying for college for two very smart children at two very good schools.
Old April 20, 2015, 10:40 AM   #112
campingnights

You die...........

Until then, you can't stop buying more, more, more guns!

My wife told me that I can't have too many guns, I agreed and told her I can never have too many guns...and then the trouble began
Old April 23, 2015, 01:03 AM   #113
Magnum-

Well there will come a time when you have Several ".... Your safe is FULL and I mean Full , and you'll just say , I ain't buying anymore firearms , hell I don't shoot 2/3 rd's of um now " , why would I want anymore .

Your age will play the Biggest part of that . for me it was when I turned about 55 . Belive me... It'll happen , in fact You Will slow Wayyyyyyyyy down on everything you do in life . You youngin's don't belive that , but you will in time .
Old April 23, 2015, 08:10 AM   #114
steelbird

You don't stop - you just slow the rate at which you buy them.
Or you start getting into cheap guns for range plinking.
Old April 23, 2015, 08:26 AM   #115
gglass

Quote:
baddarryl,
How do you guys stop buying guns?
Seriously. I just can't help myself. I have way more than my pay grade allows! Every time I think I am all set, something else comes along! Aaaaaaaagh!
The easiest way on earth is to let your wife control the finances... Problem solved!
Old April 23, 2015, 09:47 AM   #116
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddarryl
How do you guys stop buying guns?
By running out of money.

In all seriousness, though, I'm currently (mostly) content with what I have. All of my real gun needs (hunting, range, SD & HD) are covered. I like shooting a variety of guns, but I can't justify the cost of several new guns if they're only going to the range. Most of my guns are multi-purpose. For example, my G19 does carry duty, nightstand duty, and she's actually a lot of fun at the range. I guess I'd rather be the guy with a handful of guns that I shoot lots, rather than lots of guns I shoot only a handful of times.
Old April 23, 2015, 11:58 AM   #117
bryco32

Have kids....
Old April 23, 2015, 11:45 PM   #118
9ballbilly

I thought I knew......................................

Have to pick up my new BHP tomorrow
Old April 24, 2015, 04:25 AM   #119
peggysue

Die or go into a nursing home.
Old April 24, 2015, 04:42 AM   #120
gyvel

I think not enough money is the #1 reason.
SIFE
Old April 24, 2015, 05:41 AM   #121
dayman

I dunno. At this point I pretty much have everything I want.
There are a couple more on my list, but my list has stayed pretty much the same over the past several years.
I like the shooting more than the buying, and I have all the guns I need for the kind of shooting I currently do.

If I ever win a moose permit I'll need a bigger rifle, and I'd like to have a .45auto (to suppress) and a .44mag SA at some point, but for my day to day shooting I'm all set.

My old man's had the same 4 guns for as long as I've been alive, and he doesn't seem to be bored with them.

I have a lot of other - some of them more important to me - interests though.
Since there aren't any major gaps I'm my ability to do the kind of shooting I want, I don't really think about new guns all that much.
Old April 24, 2015, 01:42 PM   #122
Machineguntony

I can't believe this thread is still going. It's a good thread, for sure.

Many many years ago, I had a friend who started dating a really cool girl who was super hot, but she was anti-gun. She made him get rid of all his guns after they moved in together. That's one way to stop buying guns.

Guess who was the beneficiary of all his guns for 20 cents on the dollar?

This guy ------> MGT

Although, I then had to turn around and sell the guns for 30 cents on the dollar (no gunbroker back then), when I moved to New Jersey for graduate school. That's another way to stop buying guns: move to New Jersey (which, now that I have experienced the state and am gone from it, I can freely and accurately say that New Jersey is the armpit of the United States of America).
Old April 24, 2015, 02:09 PM   #123
stagpanther

Any woman that makes you give heave ho to what you love as a pre-condition to her accepting you--will eventually give you the heave ho too. : )
Old April 30, 2015, 04:04 PM   #124
baddarryl

Quote:
Quote:
The easiest way on earth is to let your wife control the finances... Problem solved!
OP Here:
That is so funny. I am getting ready to marry the woman that I posted about almost 3 years ago right around June 20th that our first date was going to be to the range and I thought she was the one because of that! She likes them as much as I do, but is way more thrifty. We are going to keep our finances mostly separate, but I have the feeling she will be a good influence even so.

As for my progress, I have got to the point where I am not buying anything new without selling something to pay for it. That is as good as I can do!
Old April 30, 2015, 05:09 PM   #125
dakota1911

No worry. You will stop when you die. Although then you may haunt or gun store or something like that.