The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 17, 2015, 09:08 PM   #1
A pause for the COZ

Pants for CC use.

I have had a struggle finding useful, comfortable, and cheap pants for my entire adult life.
It seems I am a tweener size.
Right now I am running 39 waist - 33 length. No one makes those.
Plus to make matters ever harder. I have Finland er hips.. Ahhh that means None to speak of.

Any way... Since i have started to Conceal Carry that old war has only gotten worse.
Store purchased Jeans have always been a hit and miss affair.
If I get a pair that meets my requirement. I tend to wear them until they are completely wore out and in taters.
I also have a whole shelf dedicated to the unworthy that never get worn.

I think I may have found at least a useful solution.
I ordered a pair of these cargo pants. To see if these might work out.
1st was the sizes. Although I could not order them in a 39 waist. These come with stretchy bits along the sides, so I ordered them in 38.
I found I could order them hemmed to size for a extra fee.
So I ordered them 33 inch inseam.

Got them the other day. Seems to be good.
For carrying a pocket pistol. My Ruger LCP in a pocket case fits in the upper cargo pockets perfectly.
For IWB my IWB holsters fit and the stretchy bit help allot. So that the pants are not too large around when not carrying but can expand to fit the gun.
The belt loops are a tad tight for my gun belt, but it fits with some work.

Not the most stylish thing on earth, but at my age. Comfort over rules style every time.
Worth a look see if your in need as I was.
If this is the wrong place for this. Please move it with my apologies.

http://www.kingsizedirect.com/Catalo...PurchaseType=0

Last edited by A pause for the COZ; April 17, 2015 at 09:16 PM.
Old April 17, 2015, 09:42 PM   #2
oldcabin

Yes. I wear pants too. I have found when I conceal carry, and I do not wear pants it makes me uncomfortable.

Size issues can make it harder to find the right fit. Belts are a big deal and the good belts make it easier, and you don't have to crank em down to get a secure fit.

You may try different holsters too. I like the kydex thin ones IWB. Personally I couldn't do the large leather paddle ones.
Old April 18, 2015, 03:07 AM   #3
Snyper

When blue jeans hit about $25 a pair, I started buying Propper BDU's for the same price.

They are far more comfortable, more durable, and come in lots of colors besides camo

They button up instead of using zippers, and have adjustment tabs on the waist to make them tighter

https://www.propper.com/

http://www.opticsplanet.com/propper-...-=Propper-US-S
Old April 18, 2015, 07:47 AM   #4
Nathan

Duluth trading is a nice fit that is different than the fashion folks would have us all wearing. It makes CCW easier.

There is also the Perry suspenders option, but my wife would freak!

Also, I find tucking a cotton shirt on help pants stay up and guns stay comfortable.

Last, rough out works well also to support gun weight.
Old April 18, 2015, 09:14 AM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

CCW Breakaways has extra deep front trouser/pants pockets. However, the velcro on the interior rubs against the leg and they tend to be very baggy on me.
Old April 18, 2015, 09:16 AM   #6
dahermit

I too suffer from the no hips, even less butt syndrome. I have a 29 inch inseam and a ...well larger lets say, waist. I pocket carry a S&W M36 in an inexpensive (but excellent) Bianchi pocket holster. My daily uniform is cargo shorts in the Summer and cargo pants in the Winter, both supported by suspenders. I have no problem carrying that way. I get my pants, shorts from Cabela's, via internet ordering. The length of the shorts is not problem, but I usually have to have an inch or two taken off the pants and re-hemmed. If one has their own sewing machine, it is no problem...it is not rocket science. Otherwise, there are people who do such alterations...usually a dry cleaning shop will do it or provide the name of someone who will.
Old April 18, 2015, 09:52 AM   #7
tirod

It's not the size of the waist, it's the taper to the torso. Guys with 34" waists can have the same issues - nothing to hang the pants on short of being arrested.

The concept of pants carry - pocket or holster - is where the problem lies. IWB gets even worse, and the size and weight of the carry rig can amplify the issue.

Do we need to have a fast draw capability in our life? Are the mean streets so mean that we have to respond within half a second or lose, at any time of the day or night, anywhere we might be?

Maybe we just need to scale back the insistent "professional" recommendations and live with the reality. If we already have issues with the fit of pants, don't add to the problem. Don't hang a gun off them.

Cops with that issue use a hidden set of suspenders under their uniform shirt to compensate.

Adopt that concept - try a shoulder holster or airline holster. It's usually more concealed, less readily dropped, leaves your pockets free for the normal clutter of EDC, and in a lot of cases is more accessible, like when driving. We spend a lot of time in cars, why trap the gun in a pocket under a seat belt?

If the pants are an issue - and you are not alone - then it's a signal that other means are needed to carry, and the options aren't all bad. If you need fast draw, consider snaps on shirts, Velcro, or just leaving it unbuttoned, which a tie can conceal, too.

I considered cargo pants - the extra weight of the pockets was already a strike against them, and having wore them in the military, I understood they have an increased chance of snagging on objects around me. Most were hotter because of the extra bulk, and loading them out only increased the weight on my hips when they were available. Better to hang it from my shoulders now.
Old April 18, 2015, 10:03 AM   #8
g.willikers

Quote:
I have found when I conceal carry, and I do not wear pants it makes me uncomfortable.
Anyone else having a hard time trying not to visualize that?
Old April 18, 2015, 11:05 AM   #9
rickyrick

Wrangler Riggs cargo pants can conceal an entire beretta 92fs in the pocket.

I carry the beretta exclusively and it has caused me to become quite creative.

Although IWB can be accomplished with any shirt.... I posted a thread a while back about my job switching to these thin stretchy polo shirts... It was almost the end of the beretta.
The wrangler Riggs saved the day... Not the best setup for drawing... But better than no gun...
Old April 18, 2015, 12:02 PM   #10
redhologram

I have quit wearing jeans altogether. I wear 5.11 Stryke pants every day of the week. They seem to have more give to them than anything else I've tried. I prefer them over the Tac Lite Pros as well.
I have probably 6 pair that I just wash on delicate cycle, tumble in dryer for about 5 mints on low heat and then let them hang to finish drying and have found they don't shrink or wear out as fast. They are a bit pricy but for the amount I wear them and the way they hold up, I consider them worth it.
The best belt I have found has been the 5.11 Tactical Trainer belt. I like the fact it has the Velcro on the front instead of holes that may or may not be where I need them. I can adjust my belt to fit.
Old April 18, 2015, 05:56 PM   #11
osbornk

Quote:
When blue jeans hit about $25 a pair, I started buying Propper BDU's for the same price.

They are far more comfortable, more durable, and come in lots of colors besides camo

They button up instead of using zippers, and have adjustment tabs on the waist to make them tighter

https://www.propper.com/

http://www.opticsplanet.com/propper-...-=Propper-US-S
_
Hope you're right. Just ordered 2 pair.
Old April 18, 2015, 06:07 PM   #12
JimPage

"I have quit wearing jeans altogether."

I strongly suggest wearing pants with both concealed and open carry!

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old April 18, 2015, 07:09 PM   #13
dahermit

Quote:
Do we need to have a fast draw capability in our life? Are the mean streets so mean that we have to respond within half a second or lose, at any time of the day or night, anywhere we might be?
With pocket carry, I have come to the realization that need for the speed of draw can be mitigated by situational awareness.
Old April 18, 2015, 07:58 PM   #14
rickyrick

If I didn't have a job, drawing capability wouldn't be an issue....

But unfortunately work requires specific clothing, worn in a specific fashion; so, I have to decide:
1. Leave it in the car... Can't draw at all if I don't have possession of it.
2. Slip the pistol into a cargo pocket and at least have possession of the pistol.
3. Forget about it and lock it in the gun safe and not be armed for most of my time.
Old April 19, 2015, 10:07 AM   #15
sm

Over 40 and still wearing jeans

Turned 60 today, and I/we did not have the offerings coming up, as we do today, in regard to "britches for conceal carry". Good belt and holster has always been a constant though.

Model 10 2" I Conceal carry, rides in a Adams Texas IWB.
http://adamsholsters.com/store/index...te=common/home