The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 29, 2015, 08:58 PM   #51
jetinteriorguy

I have no personal experience with either of the rifles I mentioned, but have been thinking strongly about possibly purchasing one. I mainly brought them up as a little food for thought along a slightly different line. As far as AR's go I absolutely love mine. When shooting off a really good solid rest I can occasionally shoot sub moa and can consistently shoot sub 2 moa even off a less than ideal rest. I've resisted getting one for close to 40 years simply because I just didn't see a need for it. I felt the AR role for me has been filled by my AK47 for the last 35 years. But with the current state of affairs I figured I'd get one and once I did some research and finally started to understand just how simple an AR 15 is, and just how versatile the platform is my poor old AK gathers a lot of dust. Wished I'd picked one up a long time ago. My next purchase is a .277 Wolverine setup and have an upper built for it, something with a little more oomph but uses everything in a normal 5.56x45 Except the barrel. And being a hand loader ammo is no problem.
Old July 31, 2015, 12:10 PM   #52
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragline45
From what I understand the barrels and BCG's exceed milspec, I read a while ago a breakdown of why this is but I cant seem to find it. On top of that BCM's quality control is far greater than Colt's and maybe the best in the industry, and when their rifles, uppers or various other parts sell out they may be sold out for a while because they refuse to compromise quality just to fill orders. That to me means a whole lot.
I've been trying to find some links that verify this, but all I've found are subjective reviews that don't provide any hard data.

I'd like to think you're right, because BCM SBRs are easier to get than the Colt 6933. But until I can verify it, I'll continue to lean towards Colt. Colt is a known entity; I know their manufacturing process because it's completely mil-spec (except for the auto-sear), and the specifications for mil-spec rifles are well-documented.

It would be great if BCM rifles were actually manufactured to a higher standard than Colt, but I'd like to see something more technical than two guys from Military Arms Channel talking about how great BCM rifles are.
Old July 31, 2015, 12:53 PM   #53
marine6680

Even if they are not beyond mil spec... BCM is at least as close to mil spec as can be without access to the data package.
Old July 31, 2015, 04:29 PM   #54
odugrad

I would, without hesitation, recommend Daniel Defense. I think their attention to detail and quality is unsurpassed. And they stand behind their product. If you ever have any issues they'll help you out, no questions asked. Their customer service is top-notch.

Tags
help! , what do you think??