The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 5, 2011, 05:23 PM   #1
shootme

Progress press question

Hi got to make a decision in a couple of days to buy either a dillon or Hornady LNL. Only real question was brought up a a guy who just bought his dillion...said he preferred a manual because he like to pull a shell out of seq from time to time and you could not do that with an auto indexing press like the LNL?

Is this an issue?

Also (just remembered) the dillon says the deprimer must be the first position...my rcbs .44 mag dies...the first is a resize the second is a deprimer...will this work better in the LNL....or should I get different dies?

and dumb question: how to you lube rifle shells in the progressive....spray before putting them in ?

Thanks much.
Old May 5, 2011, 05:35 PM   #2
shootniron

Taking a round out for checking is not a problem with a progressive press. I load thousands of handgun rounds per year and I constantly verify them in this manner.

Nothing wrong with a Dillon, but I would opt for the Hornady.

Yes, your dies will work with the Hornady.

I do not load rifle, I am unsure about the lubing process for them.
Old May 5, 2011, 05:51 PM   #3
Don H

Quote:
he preferred a manual because he like to pull a shell out of seq from time to time and you could not do that with an auto indexing press like the LNL?
That is incorrect.

Quote:
Also (just remembered) the dillon says the deprimer must be the first position
Same with the LNL - this is the station with provision for the spent primer to be discarded down a tube.

Most die sets size and decap with the same die.
Old May 5, 2011, 06:06 PM   #4
shootme

Wish the rcbs .44 mag dies were like normal. Caused me a lot of time the first time I used them. Punched about 50 before I found out they would not fit in the resize die because the deprimer also expands the case mouth....dah
Old May 5, 2011, 06:13 PM   #5
dlb435

Both the Dillon and the Hornady are fine presses. I have a Dillon 550B with manual indexing and an RCBS with auto indexing. I like them both. The RCBS does have a manual index option. I can't say that one is better than the other. They both work well and give good results.
The only problem with a progressive press is that there are many steps going on with each pull of the handle. I can never reload at the rates that are listed as "possible" with a progressive press. There is just too much to watch. If you go with a progressive, be sure you have lots of light. (I use a small desk lamp with a long arm to light up the primer area) Go slow and be careful. Even at reduced speed you can crank out ammo a lot faster than a single stage press.
You can get a problem case out of either press with very little trouble.
Old May 5, 2011, 06:18 PM   #6
dmazur

You'll find that you have to have a more or less consistent set of dies when using a progressive press. You may be able to set up a toolhead with a combination seat/crimp for one cartridge and separate seat and crimp dies for another, but typically the stations that are dedicated to resize/deprime/reprime are not identical to the others and so you have to use that die in that location.

For the Dillon 550B, the first station is the location for the primer feed, so that station has to be resize/deprime/reprime, and the second station has to be used for powder charge, as that is the location for the safety rod that forces the powder measure closed.

While there are some variations, most progressives use some kind of "powder through expander" which handles belling the case mouth for pistol cartridges. If you have a die that does this, you won't use it on the progressive.

Regarding lube for reloading rifle cartridges on a progressive, there are two methods (at least) -

One involves using some kind of spray lube which you let dry before reloading so the lube doesn't interfere with the powder drop operation. The other half of this method involves trimming an entire batch of brass to minimum length to handle case length increase during resizing, and trimming the entire batch after 3 or 4 reloadings, so you don't create a dangerous case length.

The other involves a "break out" process where you do the resizing/deprime/reprime and then remove the case for trimming. You can wipe off excess lube (or use a tumbler to clean) at that time. Then there isn't any lube to interfere with powder drop because you removed it before proceeding. Also, this method allows use of "mixed brass" of indeterminate history as you verify case length and trim before proceeding.

Last edited by dmazur; May 5, 2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old May 5, 2011, 07:35 PM   #7
Edward429451

Quote:
...my rcbs .44 mag dies...the first is a resize the second is a deprimer
You got a hold of a set of older dies. I have a couple sets set up like that. They work fine on a single stage press but you will need the newer version with the decapper in the size die for your progressive press.

I have not used the LNL but I have two Dillon 550's and not had any problems with either one.
Old May 7, 2011, 10:02 PM   #8
BigJakeJ1s

The LNL has depriming in the first station, and re-priming at 1.5. The PM normally goes at 2, but can go anywhere, even in the 1st station if you brass is already primed. Or 3 or later if you want to use separate body & neck die or something.

And when you need to remove/replace a case for inspection or extra processing, it is much easier on the LNL, with no buttons to pull out and put back in.

Of course you can purchase the Hornady or RCBS PM and linkage, and put that on a Dillon toolhead at any station too, since they don't use a downrod.

Andy